Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Ventura , California
Black tank connection to ABS drain Pipe

Long time lurker and learner, infrequent poster.

I have a 2008 International - 16 ft. We started a 10 day vacation "loop" last Saturday morning and after 6 hours on the road we had a driver's side tire "failure" . I should have put new tires on before the trip as I knew I was pressing my luck with 4 year old tires. Lesson learned... However, this is not the cause for my first post on this site.

When the tire failed, the tread tore off the black water piping from the tank. We were able to limp into our destination and get new tires mounted and installed. During a side trip the next day we passed by the same spot where the failure occurred; low and behold, there was the ABS pipe string! The dump valve handle was broken, but other than that it appears to be in good shape.

This brings me to my question: The connection between the black water tank and the ABS piping appears to be a slip fit, made to disconnect easily. Since it came off so cleanly I assume the slip connection was sealed with something other than ABS glue (silkaflex?) Is this correct. Can someone please enlighten me?
yldhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I believe the black tank is molded with a drain boss with an ID that is a slip fit to the OD of a 3" ABS pipe. There may have been sealant around the OD of the ABS piping. There may have been a hose clamp around the molded drain boss of the black tank. I have installed black tanks in 4 vintage trailers and that is the way they were made. Here is a photo of the one I did last winter and a photo of the one I did several years ago.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1802 Waste Tank Black Installed 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	363
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	352108   Click image for larger version

Name:	1205 New Valtera Black Tank Valve-800x600.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	352109  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is another possibility - somebody at the factory forgot to glue it on

Silicone RTV might be an alternative answer. It may have simply been slip fit by design. There is a lot of motion in any RV and the more "flex" to stuff the better it should hold up.

--------

On the tires: If you went through a set in 4 years, don't scrimp on them (if possible). I realize this advice comes a bit late ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Ventura , California
dbj216: this black tank does not have a "lip" to fit a clamp around, unless that part did break off. when I get home next week I'll inspect it a lot closer. thank you for the feedback and a course of investigation.
David
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Ventura , California
Uncle Bob; I did a "campground" repair with some silicone and duct tape I had with me. I am thinking that I will use a better version of this repair when I have access to proper tools and a comfortable place to work. I will also look for evidence of an extrusion that may have provided a clamp purchase that broke off .

Re tires, yes I knew I should have put new tires on, i have a feeling that this repair is going to cost several several times the cost of a set of tires.

Thank you for the feedback.

David
Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by yldhawg View Post
Long time lurker and learner, infrequent poster.

I have a 2008 International - 16 ft. We started a 10 day vacation "loop" last Saturday morning and after 6 hours on the road we had a driver's side tire "failure" . I should have put new tires on before the trip as I knew I was pressing my luck with 4 year old tires. Lesson learned... However, this is not the cause for my first post on this site.

When the tire failed, the tread tore off the black water piping from the tank. We were able to limp into our destination and get new tires mounted and installed. During a side trip the next day we passed by the same spot where the failure occurred; low and behold, there was the ABS pipe string! The dump valve handle was broken, but other than that it appears to be in good shape.

This brings me to my question: The connection between the black water tank and the ABS piping appears to be a slip fit, made to disconnect easily. Since it came off so cleanly I assume the slip connection was sealed with something other than ABS glue (silkaflex?) Is this correct. Can someone please enlighten me?
Newer trailers uses a tank adapter (at least my trailers have) that adapts the pipe to the black tank. The tank adapter slips into the tank nipple and the pipe connect to the adapter. On my trailer caulking was used to seal the adapter to the tank, along with a heavy duty clamp to hold it in place. I used Lexel caulk. I think any non hardening polyurethane caulk would work, however it would be wise to check for material compatibility.

This a link to the parts manual for your trailer>
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...s-book-352.pdf
There is a pretty good layout of the plumbing waste and a list of materials. I hope this helps.

ps: I know my 34' trailer is not like yours, but you can see the parts I used at this link>
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...es-162941.html

https://www.sashco.com/hi/pdfs/Lexel_TechData.pdf
Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Ventura , California
Thank you A W Warn,
I downloaded the OEM manual yesterday as soon. as we came into cell service again. Since you are the second responder to mention a clamp, I am feeling like the extrusion from the tank were a clamp would mount must have broke off... I may be headed for a more involved repair.
David
Old 09-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Just installed new valves...I used a 3M product that is used extensively in the marine industry to install the waste valves into the tank..3M 4200 which has a 24 hour cure time. There is another 3M product that closely resembles the above called 3M 5200. This us used for boats thru hull seals underwater and is PERMANENT and has a 1 week cure time. Use the 4200 which is not permanent.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Ventura , California
Thank you harryk. Now that I am at a place where I can inspect the damage better, your advise aligns with what I am seeing. I also have some SS sheet repair/replacing ahead of me, and a structural cross-member to replace.