Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Black tank capacity not matching literature

I have an 07 - 25 ft SS International. The literature showed it to have an 18 Gallon Black water tank. Based on my guesses of how many gallons should be in the black tank, I was thinking the sensors were always reading more full than reality.
Last night I totally drained the black tank. I poured measured amounts of water down the toliet. Sensor read full at 9 gallon, toliet would have overflowed except I stopped pouring at about 13 gallon.
So the sensor was more close to being correct than I had thought, but what about the gap between what I can pour into the toilet before it overflows and what the literature shows? Could an airlock inhibit more water input where I was pouring it in so fast out of 2 1/2 gallon jugs, could I have the wrong tank on my trailer? What the ****?

Anyone seen this type of issue before?
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi sp'

very common for these sensors 2b wayyyyyyy off.

but only holding 13g is another issue.

is the trailer really really really level?

these black tanks are only 4-6 inches deep inside and wide/long...

so with the unit low (streetside) or nose down, or both...

it is conceivable that water would reach the bowl at 2/3rds capacity.

lets hope there isn't 6 gallons of debris IN the tank...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Here are some in-depth threads discussing similar issues:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ion-14877.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ors-32384.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My Airstream's vintage, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa
... Last night I totally drained the black tank. ...toliet would have overflowed except ...
Second statement first - Did you pour water into the toilet until it stood there not draining, balanced on the precipice of overflowing? With two small children, I have become accustomed to that sight... OTOH, If it continued to drain ever so slowly with the occaisional glub, you might have a venting problem.

Are you sure you totally drained the tank? I.e. did you shine a flashlight down the toilet (like I can do in mine) and verify the tank was empty? You might have an obstruction keeping the tank from draining completely.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Gee, thanks to everyone for their input. I will do more homework and report my findings. I have only been out with this 07 trailer about 5 times, and have a free dealer check up on 9/13, so I want to have all my issues tracked down prior. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
When we took our 2005 out the first few times, we noticed the same situation. Constructiopn debris was inside, including the cutout pieces where they connected hoses. Repeated filling and emptying brought out fiberglass insulation, wire strippings, etc. When it was emptied several times without using the toilet, I put a hose up through the black dump valve to loosen any of this debris and lots more came out. I'm confident that the only 'stuff' in there now is the 'stuff' that belongs in black tanks!

Periodically - just before you hit the road with your trailer, fill the black tank about a fourth full by using the toilet flush valve and then add a few bags of ice cubes. Then the stopping/starting/sloshing will do a GREAT job scrubbing out the inside of the tank.

Best of luck - ans wear gloves!!!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
I appreciate the tips. I had the AS back to the dealer for some warranty work. It is a 3 hr one way drive and I hoped to get everything completed and hit the road in one day, but we ran short of time to do everything and I did not have them fill tanks with measured amounts of water, which was my intention.
They told me to calibrate the black water monitor required calibration of the entire system, and they told me they did this, but first night out I see I still have problems. I will be going back.

The one thing I did learn from the tech is he said the sensors are "pressure sensitive" that is, they do not read the level of the fluid, but rather the pressue and that they are not influnced by the trailer be level or unlevel. They should read the same in any level configuration.

I will keep you posted on anything else I learn
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #8

hico , Texas
I have same 07 25' SS Int model and have the same doubts; one day
use of tank and it reads 'FULL'. I'll be watching for your solution.
w knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi sierrapappa

never enough time is there!

yes the sensors detect hydrostatic pressure...

as in a column of water.

but with such flat tanks the column is very short, about 5-6 inches...

so level DOES matter.

the tech is incorrect, each tank is calibrated separately.

the instructions explain how to do all three in sequence..

BUT any single tank can be done and the others by passed.

call or email micropulse is you need help and want to do them at home.

CATCON Products | RV Products

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
air lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa
I have an 07 - 25 ft SS International. The literature showed it to have an 18 Gallon Black water tank. Based on my guesses of how many gallons should be in the black tank, I was thinking the sensors were always reading more full than reality.
Could an airlock inhibit more water input where I was pouring it in so fast out of 2 1/2 gallon jugs, could I have the wrong tank on my trailer? What the ****?

Anyone seen this type of issue before?
Hello Sierrapappa,
The question of the airlock is a viable one. With the flatness of the tank, indeed the levelness would make a difference, and the airlock could indeed take up some of the room, if the air bubble is where it cannot escape either through the toilet or the vent pipe.
Now, the vent pipe. I hesitate to bring this up, as personally, I do not know what years were affected, however, I have HEARD that some models were experiencing vent tubes which had dropped down, and, if that has happened, it would make the air pocket an even more viable situation.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote