Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Never, ever leave the black valve open when parked; I keep both tanks closed when parked. Use the toilet as needed and add plenty of water to flush. When it gets full or when ready to leave, I have the wife flush water while I pull the valve. After the black tank is drained and I hear just the water trickling down, I close off the black valve. I then dump the grey water as it will "clean" the remaining black water out of the hose. Everyone has their favorite poop chemical, but I have found TST Orange by Camco to work better than anything I have used before.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Gray always fills faster than black...a simple and good way to keep the black tank in sync with gray and a bit more "fluid" is to use a small tub or other container in the sink to wash dishes in, then dump the soapy dish water thru the toilet (carefully checking for the odd piece of silverware at the bottom of the soapy tub water). Having at least half a tank full for either adds a little bit a gravity to improve the flow and the gray water diversion to the black tank reduces the ratio of solids to flush when dumping. The fuller the tank, the more gravity works in your favor. —Al
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We try not to use the trailer toilet for #2 anymore than absolutely necessary and try no to put much TP down there. Airstream tanks are really shallow which makes them more likely to get clogged and less likely to flush everything out. Never hurts to look down the toilet after dumping to make sure there is nothing left. You can always run some water from the fresh water tank to help rinse stuff out when you are dumping. This is assuming there is not a line behind you at the dump station.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwilcoxM View Post
Help! My husband and I are full timers, and recently we have found that when ever we go to dump our black tank, little comes out, and there is standing water in the toilet still.
I have the same model and year, with a rear bathroom. When I open the "trunk", there are the two vertical rods to open and empty the two tanks, and between them, there is a a large vertical pipe with a black cap on it, which the Owner's Manual calls "a convenient fitting for flushing the holding tank". It has an opening with a screw-on cap.

I have never had this off, but it is meant to be an aid to clearing problems such as what you are experiencing now.

If it is hardened human waste, time will help soften it, and a couple of bags of ice cubes poured down the toilet quickly followed by a say, ten-mile drive will help speed up the process enormously.

By the way, human waste is only one of many things that finds its way into you black tank: combs, brushes, toys, and really anything that can fit down the toilet opening have been documented here. :/ Such items are not affected by ice cubes, or driving around. Get a mirror with a handle (that will pass through the toilet opening), a pair of rubber gloves, and go "fishing".

Don't give up!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
SO what is the proper procedure for opening the black water valve when at a campground?

Should you always leave the valve closed while parked at the hook up and only open and flush every couple of days? or Should you leave the valve constantly open while parked and just use lots of water when flushing?

It seems like the smell from the sewer hose connected to the dump station would vent through your toilet if you left the valve open continuously and that the black tank would dry out and possibly leave dry solids building up in the tank.

I would think that only dumping every couple of days along with flushing of tank would be the proper procedure.
Your #2 solution is correct for #2. Leaving the black valve open will let the liquids exit, while the solids turn into "the black hills". As a single camper I often go a week or longer without emptying the black tank, with a family, every 2-4 days is better. Of course it all depends on two factors, (1) size of the black tank (2) size of the contents thereof!

Paula
Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Definitely if you are dumping every 3 days, unless you are adding additional water to fill the tank, you are potentially creating your issue. The lack of adequate liquid means you will be leaving some solid waste behind. Do this enough you will plug up that drain. My rule of thumb is that the toilet has to be 75% full before we dump. It is not unusual when departing a campground to be filing the toilet with what's left in the fresh water tank or the city water hookup prior to heading for a dump station. I've owned travel trailers since 1982 and have never experienced a clog. If you are concerned about odor with the extended holding time, add more toilet chemical. During hot weather it's not unusual for us to toss in more chemical on day 3 or 4.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
A newbie question, why does the gate valve have to be open to do the "clean water flush"? Wouldn't keeping it closed allow the clean water to really flush and fill the black tank until nearly full then pull the valve and let it all out clean it better?
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Black tank blockage!

You keep the black water valve closed until the tank is either full on use or you fill it just before dumping. Typically (if I'm at a full hookup site), I'll keep the grey water valve open. When it's time to dump the black tank, I'll close the valve on the grey and fill that tank. Once both tanks are full, I'll dump the black. Once that tank is empty, I'll close off the black valve and then open the grey valve. That will flush the hose and the area around the hose connection.

If I have ample water, I may dump the black tank, close the valve and add more water to the toilet and try to fill the tank. Once I get the desired amount (about 50%), I'll reopen the valve to the black tank. Usually any residual should flow out. I close the black valve and open the grey which will clean the hose.

Now my Classic has the rinse valve and I typically use that on my last camp out of the year. When using that I leave the black water valve open. There is a label next to the connection that says to keep the black water valve open when using that flush system. One reason would be preventing an overflow situation which I think has happened to one of the members on the forum. The other reason is the fact that that flush fitting does produce a spray in the tank. If the black water valve is left open, the spray can better clean the tank since it doesnt get blocked by standing water.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Another thing that has been working for us..
After dumping and rinsing with the "black tank flush" system, I close the Black tank valve and keep running water into the Black tank for a while.. then go inside and add the chemicals... saves running the electric water pump..or flushing several times..

So far, all Royal Flushes.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Captain's "Log"

Old joke - what do you find in Capt. Kirk's Toilet.... the captain's log.

The built in sprayer in the black tank is a bit wimpy - and doesn't exist in older trailers. They will flush, but not bust clogs. I remember metal spray wands from from years ago, so I looked up these in Camping World's site. The new ones are plastic, and can add a real boost, particularly if something strange was flushed like a small flashlight, a Barbie Doll head, glasses, dentures, etc.

The funny thing is that the WATER tank rinser looks like the ones I remember being designed for the black tank. And of two reviews for the "holding tank rinser", one noted that the nozzle fell off IN the tank. Not great design.

I who am not a germaphobe would buy two of former style, one for the water heater tank, and the other for the black tank. Keep the toilet one IN the bathroom to avoid contamination.)

Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World

Holding Tank Rinser with Valve - Camco 40103 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

In a pinch (and with a kiddie pool and short slinky, AND a face shield) you could "probe" the black tank from the outlet with one of these too.

and for those afraid to put #2 into the system, eat more prunes! (or drink more beer - purely as a stool softener you understand.)

Paula
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I've been using this technique with excellent results.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote