Old 08-02-2004, 06:19 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Bob, I recently helped a friend do this job on a 1977 rear bath Sovereign. We used your method of removing the rear bumper and tray. In answer to your questions:
1. We fitted new pipe to the new valves, so removal was not required.
2. I made the mistake of levering the outlet pipe out from the black water tank. An easier way is to cut the pipe a few inches from the tank, and re-connect new pipe to this cut-off piece using a rubber connector. This is easier to make leak-proof than the joint to the tank.
3. No. Thetford valves are high quality standard fittings for Airstream trailers. They are expensive in comparison to the alternative, but this is not a job you want to do every few years. Inland Andy's experience is that Thetford valves should last 20 years.
Good luck. Nick.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Belly pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyland
How did you remove the belly skin without cutting it? Did you rivit it back on or do you use screws? Do I have to cut all the pipe off? I am actually working on it right now Sat. 7/31 4pm pacific time. I just came in to find out the easiest way to remove rivits when I read you post. This is my first project I am attempting on the 75 25' tradwind I just bought. I have some copper plumbing to replace next. If you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it. Your post gave me some juice to get this going and take my first camping trip. Bob
Bob,
I drilled out all the rivets and removed the panels including the bumper. At home depot or a RV dealer you can get the plastic pipes that adapt to copper. I had to relocate the drain valve handle on the gray water valve. I used the handle extension from the orginial valve. Then drilled a new hole in the side frame. Yes I cut all the old pipes out. I used a rubber coupler for the black water tank to valve. Same thing on the gray water.
Hope this helps.
chuck

Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Help! How do I reconnect the pipes?

Chuck, Thanks for the feedback. Here's a photo of my valves. I cut btwn the two but as you can see there is very little room to couple back together. I am not sure how I would reconnect the pipes. Is there a way to disconnect the ABS from the valve? I would prefer to just seal the valves and not buy new. I guess I am just cheap!

On another note, I am in the middle of a copper pipe repair that the PO let freeze and swell. I have access to one end and I was able to cut back to original size. The other end heads into the lower shower wall and has expanded just enough that I can't get the compression fitting on. Does anyone think that using this type of hose for just a very small section <1" would work? Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valves 1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	8139   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	8140  

Old 08-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #46
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyland
Chuck, Here's a photo of my valves. I cut btwn the two but as you can see there is very little room to couple back together. I am not sure how I would reconnect the pipes. Is there a way to disconnect the ABS from the valve? I would prefer to just seal the valves and not buy new. I guess I am just cheap!

This is a perfect application for the rubber connector with the big steel screw clamps. Look in the drainage pipe section of the local HD or Lowe's. They will have many different sizes.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #47
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Bob - your valves should unscrew (4 screws) and come off the PVC, then as stated above, go to HD or Lowes and purchase PVC you need. We were able to use 1 of our old valves w/some clean up and purchased 1. The rubber connectors w/clamp work great to reconnect everything.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Valve job complete.

Went up to Andy's Inland RV and picked up new valves and completed the job last week. The valve job was not near as difficult as I thought is was once I got acccess. I guess that's the common conclusion. I am now working on having to replumb part or the entire trailer because of the many split lines. Thx for all your comments. Bob
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Black water valve replacment

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Schmidt
Go for the do-it-yourself route. I rebuilt both my valves and it was not big deal. Parts are readily available and no special tools are required. Gaining access to the valves can be a challenge. I found it was best to cut a large access hole in the belley skin and put the trailer up on a ramp to get more clearence. Once that is done the rest is a snap.
Good luck and let us know if you need some advise.
What did you use to cut the access in the metal box that houses the valves?
I have been unable to find the proper saw to cut a 3 X 2 section out.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Silver Bill, I used "Aircraft" metal cutting snips in a pack of three from Wal-Mart for about $10, IIRC. They did the job, with more effort than I would have liked, but the edge was fairly ugly, although that's covered by an aluminium access plate. (Home Depot sells small sheets of aluminum). One has to take care with drilling holes to start the cut, or if considering a power saw, as the tanks are very close to the metal you are cutting. (Only about half an inch of polystyrene insulation separates the two surfaces) I found it awkward as I was in the middle of a field full of fire ants, and every minute laying on my back under the trailer was a minute too many.
Nick.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
I have a 72 Argosy and had the toilet and the Black water valves changed By ME. a big and not so fun job.
After a number of years they too started to leak. I had an old toilet bottom and was looking at it and found how it works. I then with all the system cleaned out I put a pail under the outlet and poured about 3 quarts of water into the toilet and then put about 2 cups of pool acid (muriatic)
into the water and dumped it into the holding tank. I then repeated this into the toilet and let stand over night. The level in the toilet (which alwayd leaked was as when I filled it. and no water in the black water outlet.

NOTICE: always pour the acid into the water never water into the acid.

I do beleive that with the soil and mater going into the system it would be wise to do this every few years and NEVER LET YOUR TOILET OR HOLDING TANK STAY WITHOUT SOME WATER OR SUCH IN IT to keep the valves from drying out.
If you store put some mineral oil in the tank and toilet.
Also make sure you have eye protection and have the air vented for the fumes.

Rae Burlinto Ontario.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Tell me what you think of this mode of thought?

I have gutted the 1997 soveriegns full bath that I own all the cabinets and the fixture roof covering (Had to get to a burst pipe against the wall of AS). I also will be resurfacing the tub shower stall and sink with Tough as tile later. Now the floor is not that bad discolored but not soft (one 1 foot part is wet about 1/8 of a inch or less).
The pipe that burst was swollen and is swollen about a foot both ways of the hole so I need to replace the pipe I was wondering if I should replace the 8 foot span back to the pressure valve with pex and run water through and see if I have any more leaks or bursts (if not) leave as is OR should I replace it all with Pex even if there are no more leaks?