Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Best tank drainage support

I can't seem to find an existing thread regarding this question. I was wondering what people consider the best option for a drain line support system from the tank to the dump port at a camp site. The slinky system does not seem to work well for me. Further, if you have a good system, what is your storage method if it involves rigid supports?
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are plenty of hose supports that fold up, but what exactly is the problem with the slinky?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Slinky

The slinky has split apart at several points-the connections seem to be less than sturdy.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I never saw the need for a drain hose support - let it lay on the ground - whats the harm?

The normal flow is gray water - so a bit 'puddles' in the hose, so what? Then next shot down the hose moves right along...

The black tank 'flush' is always followed by some gray tank (or other source) flushing action, so you're right back to normal mode...

Of course, these days we use a Sewer Solution and don't have to deal with those plastic wire duct hoses very often! Why hasn't a better material come along to replace those hoses that crack when it's cold and easily tear when it hot?

Ray
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We've had good luck with a Rhino Hose...when we bought it, it was only available at RV dealers but now I've seen it at WalMart...Much thicker walls than the blue stinky slinkys....plus in snaps to a collapsed length. Never seen much use for the supports...the "Big Gush" when the valve is opened jumps up and over the hump and down the hole...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I never saw the need for a drain hose support - let it lay on the ground - whats the harm?

Ray
Hi, Ray. Maybe you need to do more traveling. I bought my sewer hose support from Wal-Mart because we stayed at a campground with rules that sewer hoses are not allowed to touch the ground. I think, maybe they believe that the gravel will make holes in your sewer hose if laid on the ground. My support tapers down and helps it flow better. A few other places that we stayed at had a one week rule; People staying longer than one week are required to support their sewer hose.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Ray. Maybe you need to do more traveling. ...because we stayed at a campground with rules that sewer hoses are not allowed to touch the ground. ...
we've done a bunch....never seen that one...sounds like a good reason to hook up the hose, dump and leave for a different CG
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, here is a picture of what I bought and it is easy to use and takes very little room in my storage compartment.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
I can't seem to find an existing thread regarding this question. I was wondering what people consider the best option for a drain line support system from the tank to the dump port at a camp site. The slinky system does not seem to work well for me. Further, if you have a good system, what is your storage method if it involves rigid supports?
For gray water only you could try a garden hose adapter cap. The smaller hose is much more manageable and if you're just dumping gray water it works ok.

Otherwise you might try the "Sewer Solution." I have one and find it useful at campsites with full hookups.

If you use a slinky, I see lots of people with the folding supports like the one linked upthread with them, at seasonal sites and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Many campgrounds with full hookups don't allow that. I'm not entirely sure what their rationale is.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, here is a picture of what I bought and it is easy to use and takes very little room in my storage compartment.

I have the same one, compact and weighs almost nothing. I very seldom go to parks that I have a sewage hook up so storing it was a top priority for me. Set up is very easy as it's all one piece and opens and closes in seconds.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
There are several hose stands on the market that work well and fold to a relatively compact size. The stinky slinky works for most site types though we have encountered the occasional one with an extended uphill grade,or longer than usual run distance.

We used to store the slinky in the rear bumper compartment (Airstream), or the rear bumper (Avion) but its a sanitation nightmare I tired of dealing with.

We switched to the Sewer Solution system and won't go back to the slinky. It is relatively compact and much cleaner for us.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I use the same support as ROBERTSUNRUS and have also been at several campgrounds that require the hose off the ground.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I use the same support as ROBERTSUNRUS and have also been at several campgrounds that require the hose off the ground.....Tim
We've never run into that, and we have camped in, literally, hundreds of campgrounds all over the country. We have using a Sewer Solution exclusively for the past three years, which is not fragile like the stinky slinky.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Must be local ordinances. The last time we camped in an RV park in Tucson, there was a fine if they saw your sewer hose on the ground. They warned us that the "sewer police" would ticket violators. We just used their dump station when we left. However, we did later purchase an expandable plastic thingy at WalMart; and I am still searching for a convenient storage location for this unused accessory. But -- I am prepared!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This doesn't directly address you problem, but I would like to join the chorus recommending the SewerSolution .

I have been dealing with RV sewer hoses off and on for over 30 years.
I discovered the sewer solution about 10 years ago and love the ease and cleanliness. We do still carry a slinky and fittings if we need them.

The Sewer solution with some optional extensions hoses also allows me to empty the tanks into our sewer system at home.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Must be local ordinances. The last time we camped in an RV park in Tucson, there was a fine if they saw your sewer hose on the ground. They warned us that the "sewer police" would ticket violators. We just used their dump station when we left. However, we did later purchase an expandable plastic thingy at WalMart; and I am still searching for a convenient storage location for this unused accessory. But -- I am prepared!
In Bull Head City NV there is a city ordinance against having your sewer hose on the ground.
I just put down my square orange leveling blocks and the lady at the park said that would be OK, but I really didn't have to do that for the short time we were there. They really enforce it on monthly and longer stays.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
In Bull Head City NV there is a city ordinance against having your sewer hose on the ground.
Does anyone know the reasoning behind the rules?

I been RVing for many years and never ran into this.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote