Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Rick,

Read the reviews on the 18 gal tank. Not very favorable. Also the price for the 18 gal is $140. I got the 22 gal from Whitney for $99.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Been there...

The twink (24' Argosy) has a gray=15 and a black=10. We just completed a tour of the Arizona/Utah border with a lot of boondocking. In the parks with dump stations, some were a couple of miles away. We had some extended stays and had to dump black water too. Usually we just need to dump gray water. At any rate, our 22g was not too big to lever into the back of the pickup. Much bigger and it would have been really difficult. After a trip where I have used the tote for black water, a thourough cleaning with a couple of washes with hourshold bleach makes it sanitary. By the way... the cleanout at the house is real valuable for purging and cleaning the tanks and the tote is essential for that process.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I use a 12 gallon marine gas tank, cost $15.99 at any Tru Valu Hardware store. It has a large top opening allowing me to rinse it out and fit the garden hose in to it. When I need to empty the tank I either carry it or drive it in the trunk of our toad. This has been a great inexpensive way to handle grey water when staying at one spot for extended stays. The tank is red but I suppose I could paint it blue.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Add a bobber gauge.

The bobber gauge goes in place of the vent cap on your portable tank and indicates the level of liquid in the tank. A simple and effective way to prevent overflows.
Tote-Along Tank Bobber Gauge - Camping World

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Yep, I have the 18 gallon model - used it twice for grey water. All the models - including the other brands, really lack in the wheel catagory. You have to be careful when towing - I like to walk mine, sorta lika a pet when you think about it. I have towed behind the vehicle but fear a "RV the movie" like issue (NO - this was not in the movie but could have been) of the wheels falling off and me pulling it until the tank burst...........yuck.....
We also have the Thetford 18 gallon model, I had to convert the fitting on the end to our Thetford fitting. It works all right, but it had a Valterra fitting on it from the factory. Something I didn't consider when I bought it, since it was Thetford, I thought it had Thetford fittings.
Your Sovereign has a 25 gallon black tank, if it is the same as ours.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
What is the capacity of the black water tanks on my 71 Tradewind and my 73 Sovereign? The toilet sits on directly on top of the tank in the Tradewind in an area raised above the inside floor level. I guess it holds about 10g. I guess the Sovereign holds about 20g. What size/ brand do you use and why?
My 72 has a 14 gallon tank, I use a 15 gallon blue boy.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
For about $6, I bought a blue 7-gallon water container at Wally Mart. It just fits under the 3" drain and if you're on ground sloping the wrong way you can put a hose connector on your drain and lay the 7-gallon container on its side (the inlet is on the edge of the top, so you'll still get a good 5 gallons capacity in this mode). This container gets me through 95% of my days, including two showers and a couple of meal dishwashings. You can carry (slight struggle) it to the nearest grassy edge or away from the campsite, which makes the forest service happy...

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Wilmington , DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
For about $6, I bought a blue 7-gallon water container at Wally Mart. It just fits under the 3" drain and if you're on ground sloping the wrong way you can put a hose connector on your drain and lay the 7-gallon container on its side (the inlet is on the edge of the top, so you'll still get a good 5 gallons capacity in this mode). This container gets me through 95% of my days, including two showers and a couple of meal dishwashings. You can carry (slight struggle) it to the nearest grassy edge or away from the campsite, which makes the forest service happy...

Zep
salute!
and accolades to you sir.

gray water is good for mother nature
(with a bit of care as to what's in that gray water-- not hard to do. sensible stuff.)
be kind to nature

don
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Don't go overboard like I did. I thought WELL bigger is better and 42 gallon was only 10bucks more than 32,so why not. ITS BIG. ITs a BARKER. It fits cross wise in the truck,up on its edge so it really dont take up to much bed space. Its a 4 wheeler and can be pull by hand or on the ball of your hitch.Real nice Tote.Have used it a few times but it really dont need to be that big if you empty it every day.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Keep it small, We use a 10 gallon tank and empty more often. I want a tank that i can lift onto the tailgate of the truck. We boondock a lot and at times the distance to a dump station has been measured in miles, making towing the tank impossible. The one thing I will not do is haul the whole trailer to a dump station and then come back to the same site

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote