Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
2001 Safari 25 SS Houston

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Best sewer hose kit 20 ft

So tired of dealing with our flimsy, unruly sewer hose! What is the top 20ft sewer hose kit?
Jcrofoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We went away from the standard slinky type sewer hose many years ago. We started using the Sewer Solution system about eleven years (1,500 camping nights) ago, and would never go back.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dittos on the Sewer Solution system--easy to deploy, and reach as far as you need by adding their hose or ordinary 1" PVC pipe sections, self cleaning, and can pump uphill if needed. It is also capable of back flushing the black and gray tanks as well. It does a super job of cleaning tanks and its hose, and stores easily ond clean as a whistle...

Only thing I needed was a short clear 4" extension section to get better access to the dump valve fitting on my AS. All this stuff fits easily in the bumper storage box as well...along with the 'dirty' garden hose i use to flush the black and gray tank, etc.

Have a stinky slinky standard hose in the storage tube, but have never deployed it. Hm, I better verify that it is still in there...haven't looked into it in years--it's the original issued with the AS when it was first purchased in 2006, I think...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Macerator

I'm guessing must use maserator?
Jcrofoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Thank you. Great endorsement. I love the forums!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrofoot View Post
I'm guessing must use maserator?
There is no macerator involved. The Sewer Solution is water powered only.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Practically speaking, would you say this system is complicated to use or easy?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I have been using the Sewer Solution for a long time now, and find it much easier to deal with than a slinky-type sewer hose. it does require a second water hose, but I have never found that a problem when compared to cleaning and storing a slinky.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The Sewer Solution is dead easy to use...following is how it works on my 22 footer. Note that you need a dedicated "dirty" water hose for this, but if you wash your Airstream occasionally, it comes in handy for those other tasks. The pristine, white, dedicated drinking water hose is ONLY to be used for potable water supply and filling fresh water tank, It gets stowed with the ends screwed together, and far, far away from the bumper compartment where I stow my Sewer Solution and other contaminated hardware...

When you get to the arrival checklist part about sewer connections, pull cap off sewer dump outlet, lock the clear extension and sewer solution cap on. Run the dump hose to the campground sewage connection. Done.

To dump gray water, just pull the gray water dump valve handle--I usually leave it open after I hook up, because my family loves long, hot showers...(which is why I also have a tankless water heater, but that's another story).

To dump Black tank, SHUT gray tank dump valve. This is important to prevent cross-contamination and a rather stinky gray tank in warm weather. (Don't ask!) Use disposable gloves if you prefer when doing these tasks.

Connect the "dirty" water hose to sewer solution flush fitting, and set the fitting to discharge (pump) direction. Turn on the water, then pull the black dump handle. The stream of water both pumps out and macerates the contents of the tank. This is how you can discharge to a spot above your dump valves if needed.

If it slows down too much, turn the water jet handle to flush some water up into the black tank briefly, then turn it back to discharge. When the tank is pretty much empty, backflush a couple more times until it runs clear (The clear extension and the transparent Sewer Solution cap make it easy to observe how well its going and how clean the effluent is.)

To clean up, close the black tank dump valve, use the sewer solution to flush the external plumbing and the Sewer Solution discharge hose nice and clean, then let the remaining water drain out. Shut off the 'dirty' hose, disconnect everything, and store. It will be nice and clean, with nothing trapped in the hose, unlike a "stinky Slinky" which is never quite clean, IMHO.

To travel, disconnect Sewer Solution on both ends, store all the bits and pieces and the "dirty" water hose coiled neatly in the rear bumper compartment. Latch rear bumper compartment. Replace sewer outlet cap and make sure it is locked. DONE...properly dispose of protective gloves if you used them. Then follow the rest of the departure checklist.

Takes longer to explain it than to do it.

I have a convenient kneeling pad handy to keep my aching old knees off the dirt and gravel while I'm doing this. Garden section of the big box home improvement store has them. Handy for other tasks as well.

The only real precaution is to stay by the discharge area, pay attention to what you are doing, and do not flush back into the AS tanks too long--its guaranteed to be no fun when water backs up from the gray tank into the shower, or the black vent overflows on the roof. Don't laugh--it has been known to happen--don't be distracted when dumping or flushing...
Old 05-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have been using the Sewer Solution for a long time now, and find it much easier to deal with than a slinky-type sewer hose. it does require a second water hose, but I have never found that a problem when compared to cleaning and storing a slinky.

Brian
I cannot imagine that anyone can put enough clean water down a "stinky slinky" to get all the trapped 'stuff' out of the corrugations in the hose...

Besides, just using them, loading and unloading, and dragging them around causes wear, eventual pinholes (which are bad enough) and tears in the plastic (disaster!).

Then add the need to use a support to get good flow, and the other issues rassling the darn thing, and you know why ours has been in the storage tube all it's life...

If I'm really feeling lazy, I hook up a couple short garden hoses (about three foot "hose remnants" from Walmart somewhere on our travels) to the Airstream black flush fitting and the sewer solution, controlled by a double garden hose cut-off attached to the 'dirty' hose, and do everything by remote control. Usually I don't bother. All the extra hose stuff lives in the back bumper compartment as well.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
8 years of Sewer Solution use. Thumbs up all the way. I have 2 10 foot hose sections. All store easily in a Lowe’s bucket with screw on top.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
When using this sewer solution thingee and a garden hose as a discharge do you need a collar to seal the discharge into the ground waste pipe ??? I think I understand the value and the process but I've never actually observed one in operation. AND, what size is the clear segment mentioned and where does it attach ( before or after the SS unit)

ThanX. I found a video that seems to answer both of my questions. Seems easy enough

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
When using this sewer solution thingee and a garden hose as a discharge do you need a collar to seal the discharge into the ground waste pipe ??? I think I understand the value and the process but I've never actually observed one in operation. AND, what size is the clear segment mentioned and where does it attach ( before or after the SS unit)
The kit came with a collar for the waste pipe when I bought mine in about the 2013 time frame. I think current ones include the collar. Sometimes all you need is a rock, however. Most places I go have a conveniently sized rock or chunk of concrete by the sewer pipe.

See https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01...olution+system

The Sewer Solution kit also includes a 10 foot 3/4 inch ID flex hose for discharge. The "dirty" garden hose I mention is needed to connect campground or dump station water to the sewer solution for flushing the system and 'pumping' the effluent out faster. That you need to obtain separately. I carry a cheap green 1/2 inch vinyl garden hose.

The clear segment I added because of my sewer outlet on my particular Airstream is deeply recessed under the edge of the trailer, It connects to the trailer discharge fitting and the Sewer Solution connects on the end of the clear extended section. It is about 12" long. They also make shorter ones, as well as 90 degree and 45 degree ones if you look long enough. A straight 12" was best for my situation.

I would wait to buy the extension until you check the clearance around the trailer discharge connection. In my case, it was very hard to get the Sewer Solution 'head' on the connection with the discharge pointing straight down like I wanted, and be able to easily connect the 'dirty' garden hose to the flush valve quick connector on the Sewer Solution.

It does not have to be a clear extension, but a clear one is very easy to find. Surprisingly I found mine at a KOA campground store in Texas, and it was MUCH cheaper than online...I checked Amazon later!
Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The Sewer Solution comes with a rubber end attachment that fits tightly into the campsite sewer receptacle.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The Sewer Solution comes with a rubber end attachment that fits tightly into the campsite sewer receptacle.

Brian
I've found a few that didn't fit well, weird sizes.

The aforementioned rock or other weight solves the problem just fine in most all cases...

We were at one place that had a very small connection with a hinged metal cap that flat got in the way of the collar--the convenient rock was right there...
Old 05-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The best sewer hose I have seen or used is the upper end hose made by Blueline and maybe still sold at Camping World (or not). Be careful because Blueline also makes some very flimsy hoses so you have to find the right one. The heavy duty orange one is the good one

That said, I use Rhinoflex now because that is all I could find the last time I bought and overall it works well. I had to put a new tube under the trailer to hold the Rhino with its larger fittings. And I do not use the swivel 90 that comes with it. That fitting is no good and will either come apart by having the head turn wrong or one of the little ears with snap off. I had both happen before I wised up and bought the extra fitting. I use a red fixed 90 that has the same fittings. The heavy Blueline stuff is good but you need to use the clamps with it.

My trailer is older so I silicone sealed a Thetford to Valtera fitting on to the trailer for the Rhino. Do not know what your trailer has.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote