Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
Well, the part was not so easy to find for me. After a couple of stops at all the suggestions we found one at an RV store where we were told they usually don't have them and bought their last one! so, now I have the part we need but my question is about honey dippers. Since this is a different size, can the honey dippers empty my tanks or do I need to find another adapter for them to use?
Sandi & Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
I'm glad I found this thread as I'm having this issue as well. I bought a Rhino sewer hose and just out of luck I tried to put it on the camper the other night and it is too small. And I have called a couple of RV dealers and the parts person is completely confused when I tell them my sewer hose won't find the pipe coming from the AS.

So if I understand this correctly, you are purchasing the Thetford part (#01665) and then attaching the "universal" hose to that adapter?

How about the Thetford SmartDrain system ... does that fit the drain pipe coming from the AS?
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Lexington , Tennessee
Thetford Sewer System

You can also get a "Thetford" replacement coupler that fits a standard hose. Picked up one at Tennessee RV in Knoxville TN. Kinda pricey, but I don't have 2 pieces of hardware to keep up with.
argosy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thetford to Valterra adapter should work, though previously on another unit we cut off the Thetford fitting and glued on a Valterra fitting. Currently on this new to us Airstream we are using the Theford coupler to a hose and I don't care for that and hope to change it to the more universal coupling as in the Valterra line and use our other hoses.

Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. T05-2285VP Black Carded Universal Adapter: Automotive

A permanent replacement may be found here

http://www.valterra.com/RV/valve_caps_and_adapters.htm
Attached Images

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Hi all i am new to the air stream family and have just got a 1975 argosy air stream .
I have jsut purchased a sewer kit called smart drain system by thetford from camper world of akron ohio.
I thought when purchasing that the end that connects to the air stream would fit,
but it is just a hair to tight to get on the pipe coming from the trailer and if it could fit it would hit the bumper of the trailer ?????? Any ideas , should i return the product or do they have a end that i could attach that would all so clear the bumper once the hose end is attached .
Thanks all
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
I did replace my 'Thetford' style connection with a 'Valterra' connection. It was no problem, I did have to order on-line for the new connector.

I see a lot of people on these forum stating they got their 'parts' at their local Camping World RV store. You must have a much different Camping World store than mine. I have gone in several times and have never left with anything. Once they find out I have an AS, if they even know what an AS is, they act like I left 'something' on the floor and can offer no help. And their prices +tax are more than I can get it on line. Glad you guys have a better store.
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Does anyone else have a problem with the adaptors getting weak and breaking? I've lost 2. I'm averaging 1 a year. I'd like to glue one on as some people have mentioned or find a better solution. I'm afriad to glue it on incase it breaks....then what?? Mine only had the 2 locking ears. I'll look for one with 4. Just looking for a better soution if there is one before my next trip in a couple weeks. The last one ended messy when the adaptor and external Valterra valve went flying (again). We rescued it and I had to bungy it on the last half of the trip. I haven't seen anyone else mention them breaking but it's happened to me twice now so I thought I'd ask before going out to buy another one. I know I need a more permanent fix but it's still cold here and I have one more trip planned before the weather warms up. I don't want a repeat experience if I can help it. Thanks in advance,
~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #28
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
2Alaska; You might want to replace the 'Thetford' style connection with a 'Valterra' connection. Not hard to do with a hack saw and some PVC glue, works great. I have also added a rubber pipe connecter that has clamps to my 'waste' kit. I figure you can't have to many way to fix a waste dump problem. Take the plunge and replace your connection with the more standard Valterra style.
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
david286,
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on replacing the Thetford and using Valterra but my concern is the quality of the piece that I'd be gluing on. I'm assuming it's better quality than the adapter but I'll have to get one to check it out. I had someone over yesterday that also suggested a rubber pipe cover with clamps so I'll be looking into that as well. Unfortunatly we're getting snow today so it will be a couple days before I can get back to that. I did replace the adapter for now. Thanks for the help. ~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Lexington , Tennessee
How cold is it when they break? Could be the plastic becomes brittle in extreme cold. The thetford coupler works fine for me, but I'm a warm weather camper, lol.
argosy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote