Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Attaching to the belly

My 2005 25' Safari came with a sewer hose storage tube , but it won't hold the 20' (2 X 10' lengths) of hose I've found I need.

So I bought a second "E-Z Hose Carrier" to mount to the underbelly to supplement the one that came with my rig.

My thought is to mount it to the aluminum underbelly using large-diameter sheet metal screws, but I'm nervous about drilling holes through the aluminum (might I hit wiring? ) and not confident my mount will be secure. One side would be anchored along a rivet line, and the other by necessity would be somewhere short of the next rivet line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
My 2005 25' Safari came with a sewer hose storage tube , but it won't hold the 20' (2 X 10' lengths) of hose I've found I need.

So I bought a second "E-Z Hose Carrier" to mount to the underbelly to supplement the one that came with my rig.

My thought is to mount it to the aluminum underbelly using large-diameter sheet metal screws, but I'm nervous about drilling holes through the aluminum (might I hit wiring? ) and not confident my mount will be secure. One side would be anchored along a rivet line, and the other by necessity would be somewhere short of the next rivet line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Our Overlander came with an 8' length of stovepipe, with a cap on both ends, to hold rally flagpoles. It was held on by a galvanized steel strap, with stainless steel sheet metal screws holding it in place the the belly pan. The whole thing, including flagpoles, was about 15 pounds. It had been there for at least 25 years. The screws showed no sign of pulling out of the belly pan, although if I was doing this job, I would use aluminum rivets, to minimize the risk of dissimilar metal corrosion. AFAIK, there isn't a whole lot in the way of wires down there, maybe some wires for the tank monitoring sensors, most everything else is above floor level. You can check your wiring diagrams to make sure nothing else goes through there, to be on the safe side.
Good luck with your, umm, hose job...