Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Assembly: Waste hose and end fittings

Getting my new 2014 AS ready for its first trip. My waste hose/fittings were not assembled by the dealer. I have the hose, two rings that will fit inside the hose ends, the twist-lock fitting, the outlet fitting and two hose clamps. I can't figure out the purpose of the two rings that fit inside the hose ends. Is I insert them, the twist-lock fitting and the outlet fitting will not fit. Do I just dispense with the inner rings, clamping the hose directly on the twist-lock fitting and outlet fitting? If all this material were anything other than plastic I would do it without concern.

Will

"Don't follow me.
I've made a life of leading folks astray"
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Well, I'm amazed that 42 people have viewed this post, but no one has a suggestion.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How about a photo of what you are talking about? Otherwise, I would refer you to the movie RV and learn from Robin Williams did.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My dealer didn't provide a hose and I'm glad for that. Went to Walmart and grabbed a Camco with a 15 an 10 foot connection (up to 25' if needed). Plug and play, no rings, etc - clean hands, simple experience. Well worth the $20 in my opinion.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
First time I've heard of a dealer sending out a unit without the waste fittings ready for use. Did they do the walk thru with you? I'd take it back and have them assemble it.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
My dealer didn't provide a hose and I'm glad for that. Went to Walmart and grabbed a Camco with a 15 an 10 foot connection (up to 25' if needed). Plug and play, no rings, etc - clean hands, simple experience. Well worth the $20 in my opinion.
Yup, that's a good alternative.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While shopping, get a box of disposable rubber gloves to keep "stuff" off your hands when dumping the gray and black tanks.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do what Steve said, go to Walmart or camping supply and buy the hoses with the ends already attached permanently. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
While shopping, get a box of disposable rubber gloves to keep "stuff" off your hands when dumping the gray and black tanks.
Absolutely!!! Should have mentioned that myself.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Do what Steve said, go to Walmart or camping supply and buy the hoses with the ends already attached permanently. Jim
This may be the first time in history anyone has suggesting doing something I said :-)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willb43 View Post
Getting my new 2014 AS ready for its first trip. My waste hose/fittings were not assembled by the dealer. I have the hose, two rings that will fit inside the hose ends, the twist-lock fitting, the outlet fitting and two hose clamps. I can't figure out the purpose of the two rings that fit inside the hose ends. Is I insert them, the twist-lock fitting and the outlet fitting will not fit. Do I just dispense with the inner rings, clamping the hose directly on the twist-lock fitting and outlet fitting? If all this material were anything other than plastic I would do it without concern.

Will

"Don't follow me.
I've made a life of leading folks astray"
the o-ring fits in the groove that mounts to the trailer side to seal that fitting to the discharge pipe on the trailer. if you have a twist lock connector, one may go there too. there are two types of ends thetford or valtera, one has a round pin & notch and the other has a square one. make sure yiu have the correct type to match the trailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
i've had to replace my hose at the end of every second or third season because of pin holes. let me know how long they last. i was happy to find two hoses with my 34 because the first time i needed to dump, i barely reached the sewer with both hoses! i now use a 10' aluminum downspout (with the ends stretched a bit) as a hose protector.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My 2014 did not come with a sewer hose, only the end fittings for attaching one. That was mentioned in the literature I saw prior to purchase, so I was not surprised. So, I brought my own new hose to attach. And did.

Unfortunately, when I did that, I apparently did not tighten the clamp well enough. Last week, when at a dump station (with an audience) I confidently pulled the black water tank valve and the hose came off the fitting. I stood there in shock, first time that has ever happened in 35 years of Airstreaming. Black water is not black, it is brown. And it stinks. But I did learn that Charmin toilet tissue disolves well. LOL.

I cleaned up my mess, and slunk away as quickly as possible. Always double check your clamps if you do your own hose to fitting attachment.

See, even after 35 years of Airstreaming, I learned something new. But it was still not a good day.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Thanks to all for the input. Decided to get the Sewer Solution and just hang on to the other stuff, just in case... of what I'm not sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks to all for the input. Decided to get the Sewer Solution and just hang on to the other stuff, just in case... of what I'm not sure.
Well, in case somebody flushes a tampon, for one thing. They won't go through a sewer solution.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Dealers do goofy stuff.

I've tried pretty much all the setups on the market at one point or another because we use a combination of full-hookup sites, dump stations, hauling wastewater away from boondocking sites in tanks, home "dump stations" that involve an uphill run, etc.

There are several key points that have emerged over the years:

1) If you are dumping at a dump station, then a 10' high-quality standard vinyl hose with a bayonet connector for the trailer end, and nothing on the other end, works best. High quality hoses are thicker and will last longer. Extra length or connectors just get in the way in this situation.

2) At full-hookup sites you need a different hose. A 20' high-quality standard vinyl hose works best, with bayonet connectors on both ends, one of them with a swivel. You also need a matching elbow that has the stepped threads for various size connections.

3) At some full hookup sites it's best to just hook up a greywater hose. Garden hose with the necessary adapters works well for this. This is more convenient for longer distances and also for situations where there is a good deal of foot traffic, since a 3" vinyl sewer hose will be damaged if stepped on while a garden hose will not

4) Fancy setups like the Rhinoflex work OK but the way they are priced and sold it is not practical to replace only the hose when it gets damaged as it inevitably will at some point. The ends and clamps will outlast many hoses

5) Sewer solution is fine for situations where you have to dump uphill and I have one for that purpose but I have found it to be a nuisance for general use. A standard 3" hose is faster at a dump station, some dump stations don't have pressurized water, etc.