Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
10 Gal Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Sergei, you can move the grey water tank to between the axles, and have more grey water capacity. The '70's Argosies had a 7-10 gallon grey water capacity, so anything more you can put in would be good.
The black tank, however, usually rests on the floor in the bathroom, under the toilet. You really can't do much moving around there without major surgery. Black tank capacity uis about 10 gallons.
Now if you think about it 10 gal. is a lotta poop ! Newer RV toilets probably only have a cup of water in the bowl, and unless you just need to go crazy with the sprayer, you don't use much more when flushing.

If you've got 5 or 6 people in your Argosy, then 10 gallons will fill up fast, but with one or two, you won't fill that tank for two weeks or more. I agree with the experienced rebuilders, moving the black tank... simply not worth the effort.

Keep your current black tank, and find somewhere else to spend the money!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
people do things for different reasons....

I agree. 10 gallons of black is generally enough, even if some new Airstreams come with 35 gallons.

We rebuilt the whole system because we wanted the black tank UNDER the floor, with a new ceramic toilet on a FLAT floor.

It was a design consideration.

12 gallons of grey was unacceptable. We now have 36 plus gallons there.

The money has been spent, happily.
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #43
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
You got the wrong trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
These definitely aren't trailers you want to be hauling in to the deer shack.
Your delima is exactly why Airstream built the Argosy!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
I agree. 10 gallons of black is generally enough, even if some new Airstreams come with 35 gallons. We rebuilt the whole system because we wanted the black tank UNDER the floor, with a new ceramic toilet on a FLAT floor. 12 gallons of grey was unacceptable. We now have 36 plus gallons there.
A flat floor and ceramic head is a nice design touch. I can live with the "port-a-pottie" look. Shoot, it may even help convince a few people to hike over to the camp ground toliet

The added grey water capacity is really important. As you say, 12 gallons is unacceptable. Now I know why so many people hook up their sewer hose at the campsite. One reason I can think of for having the black water above the grey water tank is you could then use it to "flush" the black water tank and/or use it as overflow for extra capacity.

I'm sure the vast majority of our grey water is from washing in the kitchen sink, although making the shower more useable is also high on the list before cyclocross season. Any simple ideas on how grey water can be diverted to a hose for "old school" direct discharge? The easiest I suppose would be a "drain cap" that had a hose fitting glued on. To make it work well it would be nice if the drain cap provided a better seal and the additon of an elbow with the hose fitting centered and pointing down would help. Don't worry, I'm not going to do this next to you in a paid campsite

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #45
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
CW has the "garden hose cap" for attaching a hose. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...fm?skunum=4181

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #46

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Mexico , Mexico City
grey tank argosy 24 1979

Please someone tell me the measurements (width, length and height) of the gray tank of an argosy 1979 24....
pplui is offline   Reply With Quote