Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are the waste valves rebuildable?

One or more of my waste valves is leaking. For now I have a third valve at the exit to keep it from leaking. I was wondering if the OEM valves are rebuildable. Can the bonnet be pulled and a new gasket be put on the gate valve? If not then I will just use the third valve method that just fits on where the cap fits. I have an 81 Excella II.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get a Thetford rebuild kit. I have rebuilt several that had the rest of the drain plumbing permanently cemented together. It's not as "good" as all new parts, but you can do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
One or more of my waste valves is leaking. For now I have a third valve at the exit to keep it from leaking. I was wondering if the OEM valves are rebuildable. Can the bonnet be pulled and a new gasket be put on the gate valve? If not then I will just use the third valve method that just fits on where the cap fits. I have an 81 Excella II.

Perry
Perry.

Yes, they can be rebuilt, but to most folks, it's not worth it, or the risk.

New replacements are still available, and at very reasonable prices.

It's a lot of work, to remove the valves, so why take the risk of a failed repair?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't you have to cut the old one off? I would think that you are going to run out of pipe. I expect the elbows don't have much length between them. I don't have any problem with replaceing them if that is easier.

Perry
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Don't you have to cut the old one off? I would think that you are going to run out of pipe. I expect the elbows don't have much length between them. I don't have any problem with replaceing them if that is easier.

Perry
Not necessarily.

It depends on which "exact" model you have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well it is an 81, 31 ft Excella II with the center bath.

Perry
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Perry, I just recently rebuilt the Thetford black tank valve on my 93. Did it while still on the trailer. Was able to seperate the valve, install new gaskets & blade. Worked out well for me.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Valves

I have a 93 Excella center bath and I just recently rebuilt both black and gray water valves. I cut a good size access hole, and removed the piping and valves all at once. The gray valve was held on with a rubber boot with worm gear clamps and the black was held with a clamp over the slip in adapter. After removal I took the valves apart, washed and cleaned them, replaced all the gaskets, seals and O-rings, put them back together and installed them. I covered up my access hole and they have been working fine ever since.
If you look in the owners manual it shows and tells you how to repair your valves, or at least it did in mine. Gave me a general idea and the rest I figured out on my own.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote