Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

1970 31' Sovereign
Valley Center , California
Are pans required for holding tanks?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, to RV'ing, Airstreams and renovations. I know, that probably has a bunch of you asking what I'm doing here and I should stop now. Please know that just isn't going to happen, so don't bother. Just suffice it to say that I consider myself very handy and love to build so this is an exciting project.

After renovating our home, my wife and decided to take on a 1970 Sovereign Land Yacht, 31-ft.

We have completed demo of interior and sub-floor. Frame is in fantastic shape. We decided to make some mods to the floor plan and change to a side bath.

I just can't find any info on whether or not I'm required to have a pan for the black water tank?

The original had one, but I don't know if that's just how they designed the mount of if it was intended as a secondary containment should anything happen the the tank.
kkortum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
The pans support the tanks and protect it at least on my last 2 Airstreams they did .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I put no pans under my tanks. Someday I will finish closing them in...

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes the black tank requires some sort of pan. It's not for secondary containment. It's to support the relatively thin plastic tank wall under the weight of its heavy liquid contents. It doesn't have to be galvanized steel, and doesn't need to go up the sides. It just needs to fully support the bottom of the tank. Plywood is a good choice. You might also build in some provision to prevent the tank from shifting while full and underway.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The pans seem to do two things...at least for the water tank; not sure if there is Styrofoam around the holding tanks.

The pan supports the tanks which are as noted quite flimsy(unless you used after market molded Polyethylene). The Styrofoam cushions the tanks so the supports don't grind away at the plastic, and it provides some measure of insulation. The pan also protects against rocks and the occasional grounding in rutted sites.
I would be installing a pan.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
JCWDCW makes a good point about insulation. On my 74, the furnace was ducted into the holding tank area, and each tank sat on a plastic pan that allowed air to flow around the tank. That pan sat on top of styrofoam, on top of plywood, inside a galvanized box. Since I eliminated the furnace and am using electric tank heaters, my gray tank is now encased in a layer of reflectix, sitting on a layer of rigid foam insulation, sitting on a sheet of plywood, and encased around the sides with canned spray foam.

Depending on how you plan to use your trailer, tank heaters and excessive insulation may or may not be necessary. I wanted the option to live through an extended freeze and still use my plumbing.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

1970 31' Sovereign
Wow! Thank you everyone for the great info. I bought 2 aftermarket icon tanks to use. One for gray and one for black. The plan is Toni stall them just behind the axles. I'm still working out some of the DWV routing for the kitchen, shower and bath to gray tank but I think I can make it work.

Here's another related question - what's your opinion of the hepVO waterless "p-traps"? And do the tanks need to be vented if I'm using them?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Hepvo is the way to go! No fussing with p-traps it low water to keep out odors and they save lots of space. Yes you still need to vent the tanks- you still have to empty them😄
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

1970 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
Hepvo is the way to go! No fussing with p-traps it low water to keep out odors and they save lots of space. Yes you still need to vent the tanks- you still have to empty them😄
Haha! Good point. Didn't think about that whole emptying the tank thing. Oops.

Thanks!