Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Wagon Master

Question Any one done this?

Why can't I just have the gray water dump into the black water tank. I don't like the "bypass" thing. And didn't really want to have to mount a new tank.

Igor
Igor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Any one done this?

Greetings Igor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor68
Why can't I just have the gray water dump into the black water tank. I don't like the "bypass" thing. And didn't really want to have to mount a new tank.

Igor
What you propose is actually a factory recommendation in the manual for my '64 Overlander for those times when it is not acceptable to handle gray water in any other manner. The process is basically to place a solid termination cap on the dump port, then open the blackwater tank dump valve and use as normal - - just be observant of tank level as if it is overfilled it will back up in the bathtub/shower. I have only tried it once, and have since used the blue tote tank as a result of the experience. When the gray water is "backed-up" into the blackwater tank, there will be something approaching a pint or a little more waste trapped between the termination cap and the dump valve that must be dealt with when the termination cap is removed in preparation for dumping (a bucket is a necessity that will fit below the termination to catch the trapped waste) - - must also remember to close the dump valve prior to removing the termination cap or you will really have a mess on your hands. Then the tank is dumped as normal. The one limitation is that this works only for those models with below floor blackwater tanks.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Wagon Master

Thumbs up thanks

Kevin,

Thought there must be a simple way. I am not worried about overflow as we don't use much water ( we sail alot and are use to having limited water and holding). But that is a good piont to remember!. I was just outside under the A/S and thinking I could splice into to vent below the clean-out and that would take care of the 2 sinks but the shower would still buy pass. I don't see a problem dumping the shower water ( in the dirt ) but I would like to contain the dirty dish water.

Igor
Old 09-18-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I don't see a problem dumping the shower water ( in the dirt ) but I would like to contain the dirty dish water.
Unfortunately, in a lot of places it is not your decision to make...many parks have rules &/or laws determining whether you can dump any grey water on the ground. The concern is soaps & detergents, not just food particles.

We use a blue tote when not utilizing full-hookups ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Careful! The Overlander can use its blackwater tank to handle grey water only because the holding tank is mounted below the surface of the floor. The Globe Trotter's blackwater tank was mounted above the floor in '66 and that might be the same for '68. If the tank is mounted above the floor then you can't back up grey water into it because it will back up into the shower pan or tub as well (since both are at the same level).

Forrest
Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
Wagon Master

I think it is below. The floor is flat from front to back. It hangs down between the frame abd the belly pan bends around it.

Is that what you mean but under the floor?

Igor
Old 09-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Igor68.

Keep in mind, when you allow the gray water to enter the black water tank, the black water also backs up into the gray water drain lines.

If it goes far enough, the the backup also comes out in the shower or tub, as the case may be.

The you have a mess that you may not want to deal with.

Simple flushing the gray lines, won't get it all out.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
If you still want to use the method described by Kevin then I'd recommend that you install an additional slide valve immediately ahead of the sewer line termination cap. That valve stays closed the entire time, and is opened only when your sewer hose is connected to a waste dump. I know there is a slide valve assembly being sold just for that purpose, but I can't remember where or who sells it. I think it is being sold as "no drip" or something along that line. You can also make your own with the proper connectors.

Forrest