Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
The water is disconnected to the toilet. It is the original toilet. I have decided to go with a composting toilet. My black water tank does sit above the frame. I am concerned that the compositing toilet will sit to high. I will get the measurements of it and see.

I do not have a sewer hose, so do I need to buy the Thetford to Valterra universal adapter and then a standard hose to attach to that?
terricrowe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
Here are pictures of the valve which only spins and does not pull out and the cover of the sewer pipe, obviously by the picture, that is located directly under the tank. This is not normal right?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Dont rush out and buy axles or get a tack until you check everything on this trailer and make sure its the one for you. The axles with roll fine if the bearings are ok, there is a localized paranoia here about getting axles.
As for the tank, its a big job and one that need a lot of consideration and knowledge first.
Airstreams are so popular people are rushing to buy them without knowing what is really going on. Sit back, relax and learn.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
I cannot post a picture here for the life of me! Anyway, my sewer pipe comes right out from under the black water tank straight down. The shut off comes out of the bumper and only twists, it does not pull out. The water from the shower definitely drains directly into the black water tank. I figure for this season I can connect a stinky slinky, (only it wont be stinky because we are only using it for water, and not using the toilet), connect that to a blueboy and get through that way until the winter when we are going to pull out the bathroom, redo the plumbing and check the subfloor for rot. I saw today that my belly pan has pulled away and is also going to need to be replaced.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Your shut off will pull out, which will empty the black tank straight out the bottom. Make sure there is some liquid in the black tank by looking down the toilet opening with a flashlight. As the water sits in the tank it should loosen up the crud that has the valve frozen. You might also spray some wd 40 up in to the area where the valve handle shaft is. Give everything a day or to soak and loosen up then try pulling out on the handle, carefully with a pair of pliers if gripping the handle is a issue.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
taking pics ... just an fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by terricrowe26 View Post
I cannot post a picture here for the life of me! Anyway, my sewer pipe comes right out from under the black water tank straight down. The shut off comes out of the bumper and only twists, it does not pull out. The water from the shower definitely drains directly into the black water tank. I figure for this season I can connect a stinky slinky, (only it wont be stinky because we are only using it for water, and not using the toilet), connect that to a blueboy and get through that way until the winter when we are going to pull out the bathroom, redo the plumbing and check the subfloor for rot. I saw today that my belly pan has pulled away and is also going to need to be replaced.
download the Airforum app to your phone or ipad, taking & uploading pictures is VERY quick and easy. The website is a little, how should I say .."backwards"
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Owls Head , Maine
So, this is my thought process. We will do outside work now and this winter I think we have to gut her and start from the beginning. The Belly pan is old and falling apart, insulation is starting to hang, I believe the floor in the bathroom is probably rotted, feels soft. At first I assumed it was the shower pan, that it had a little give and didn't quite fit flush to the floor, but I think it is the sub floor. I can see down through the wheel wells to the outside, do people usually try and seal that up? Redo the plumbing to pex, and possibly replace the black water tank with a gray water( or can I just use the black water as a gray water is the tank is in good shape)? and use a composting toilet. From there, redo the bathroom, paint, new cabinets and counter, flooring, lighting. I want to repaint the blue on the Globetrotter. Can I get that exact color somewhere? Also, any ideas of where I can get panels that will match what I have for the outside skin? The three corner panels are damaged pretty good. We pulled out as much as we could with a dent puller, but it still looks really bad. I don't mind a ding here and there, we have those too, haha but this mother is huge!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The tank you use for grey water must be below the drain level of the shower. The tank you use for the toilet must be below the toilet whether the toilet is on a platform or below the floor.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote