Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
1962 16' Bambi
St. Thomas , Ontario
Advice re: replace or repair of BLK tank

I have a real headache here in Ontario, Canada. Last fall when the flange for the dump valve was leaking I took the whole bathroom out of our 1971 25' Tradewind. It has the "wet bath" with the black tank above the floor in the corner with the toilet on top of the tank.
When it was completely apart, and I mean completely I had a local highly recommended repair facility with many years of A/S experience replace all the plumbing including the freshwater supply lines. The only thing we re-used was the black tank. It was deemed to be fine and with no reason to replace.
So he tested it and I completed all the substancial cosmetic work to the bathroom. Then it sat empty and dry all winter.
NOW this spring, I test the system and the tank now leaks. It has never been used yet. The plastic is cracked around the area where the threaded flange is plastic welded to the tank. The repair man thinks he can plastic weld this back together even though the crack extends 3/4 around the flange.
I am worried that with a cross country tour coming up the tank will start leaking on the road.
So....what do you think? would you weld it in place, (very hard to get at from below) or go through the big job of tearing out half the bathroom again and replacing the tank?
Where would you get the tank?
And one last detail. The shop want to continue charging me $80 an hour to fix this. I feel like I paid to have a leak proof bathroom last year and I have yet to even use it.

TRAILER: 1971 25" Tradewind, rear bath, toilet and tank in the back street side corner above the floor.

Thank you, Any quick response would be very appreciated it is at the dealership now. I am deciding if I should find somewhere else to deal with.

vintage mike

Vintage Mike
62 Bambi
05 Safari, Artstream SE
1978 Olds 98
56 Ford Fairlane
vintagemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

If your tech knows how to properly weld the plastic, then there is no reason that it should not be as strong as the surrounding material. In fact, Some welds become stronger than the base material.

Hope this helps!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
new tanks are readily available, I've seen Inland Andy encourage MANY people to toss their old plastic and go with new fiberglass..a search here will yield lots of hits..

you should be able to drop the tank out from below (after removing rear bellypan)...also you didn't specify exactly which flange was leaking, but "threaded" I would assume to mean the toilet flange, and it may be possible to weld without pulling the tank (I'd look for that possibility anyway)...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote