Old 02-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Adding tanks to 55... Sizes Needed

Hello All,
I am looking for suggested sizes and dimensions for fresh, grey, and black tanks. Also any input on placement would be appreciated. This would be for a 55 Flying Cloud. Thought about using 35-40 gallon fresh, 35-40 gallon grey and 18 gallon for black. Will this add to much weight?

My thoughts were fresh water in front console where it was originally. Does any one know the original tank size and how this will affect tongue weight?

Greywater same size as fresh. Between and under frame close to axle. Does anyone that has put one of these in have suggested dimensions or clearance sizes between frame? Also is it better to have the weight in front of or in back of the axle. The fridge and stove will be across from each other just to the front of the axle.

Black water directly under toilet. Is there any good way to get away with out the toilet on a raised platform? Can this drop down into the frame?
Thank you,
Lynn

Old 02-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud55
Hello All,
I am looking for suggested sizes and dimensions for fresh, grey, and black tanks. Also any input on placement would be appreciated. This would be for a 55 Flying Cloud. Thought about using 35-40 gallon fresh, 35-40 gallon grey and 18 gallon for black. Will this add to much weight?
Lynn, those are practical sizes, good for a weekend of boondocking without too much concern of running out ( or over). Your 55, however, has a tiny frame. I would suggest some strategic reinforcements before hanging too much stuff on it. On the other hand, you already have a fresh tank, and a black tank, so adding a 30-40gal grey tank is not that huge of an addition, so long that you don't drive with it full.

Quote:
My thoughts were fresh water in front console where it was originally. Does any one know the original tank size and how this will affect tongue weight?
I always feel that a variable weight this close to the tongue will throw off your hitch setup. You might set up with a full tank, then use the water and drive with an empty tank. That is a tongue weight difference of about 350lbs at 40 gal. My personal preference would be a fresh tank in the floor, close to and in front of the axle.

Quote:
Greywater same size as fresh. Between and under frame close to axle. Does anyone that has put one of these in have suggested dimensions or clearance sizes between frame? Also is it better to have the weight in front of or in back of the axle. The fridge and stove will be across from each other just to the front of the axle.
Between and under frame is excellent. Immediately behind the axle is ok as well. It is better to have weight in front of the axle, but you will already have your fresh tank there.

Quote:
Black water directly under toilet. Is there any good way to get away with out the toilet on a raised platform? Can this drop down into the frame?
Thank you,
Lynn
Black tank into the frame works best with rear bath models, where the black tank fits between the frame rails. In your case, with the side bath, it is very difficult to hide the black tank in the frame.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Lynn:

We are just now completing the installation of both a new black and gray in my 1976 Argosy.

I took that “throne box” out of the bathroom and placed the new 14.5 gallon tank BELOW the floor.

The new ceramic toilet sits flat on the floor.

Much of this, with some photos, was discussed in this recent thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...val-20759.html

Sergei

photo is of new black in place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0899.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	18801