Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
adding gray water tank to 65 caravel

I have heard of several plans out there for adding a gray tank to a 65 caravel but darned if I can get anyone to reply on this!
joe q in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello joqin,

sometimes folks don't always come across a certain thread right away ,Ive been there too .Try putting your subject in the SEARCH FUNCTION at the top of the main menu page (click on search ) then type in subject ,may take a couple of ways to post it ,such as (adding gray water tank )then look over the many threads you can locate .

Good luck

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Joe,

Are you doing a major refit, or do you want to add a tank without taking everything apart?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Gray water tanks again

I am into a Full Monti(Y) and considering adding a gray water tank also. I figure there is lots of good place under the floor near the axle. Here is a drawing that indicates the tank locations and what I am thinking about for floorplan. It's for one couple. Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05.09.jjpeg.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	37721  
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Not to rain on your parade, because I certainly think anyone should do whatever makes them happy with thier own trailer, but I think the Caravel has the best layout of any airstream. It's small, but it's functional, and flexible. The table becomes a bed, the couch becomes a bed, the shower becomes standing room in front of the sink, and legroom for the toilet.

The main problem I have with your layout is that it loses all it's flexibility. In a caravel you can seat about seven people (and we have -but they have to stay seated ), but in your layout all you have is the bed or a stool at the bar. I think that would get a little tiresome to live with. I understand the desire for a permanent bed, the main drawback of the trailer is the bed which has to be made every night, but it's awkward to only have a bed to sit on during the day. Ask folks who have grown tired of their 22' CCDs.

I think if I was going to totally re-model a Caravel I would look at the current design for the 16' CCD. Bed in the back, wet bath and kitchen in the middle, table up front. At least you have a little more flexibility. The position of the caravels existing windows might make that a nice little plan.

One last thing, you're black tank doesn't seem to be under the toilet. On the Caravel it is above the floor, and the toilet sits on it. Not sure you want that material to have to travel to the black tank you have planned halfway back. It would probably require a lot more water to flush it over there, and would fill the tank faster.

But I don't want to sound like I'm shooting you down. I think it's great you're looking for a better way.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
'65 Caravel 17'

2001 34' Limited
1965 17' Caravel
Lufkin , Texas
Grey Water tank

Try Vintage Airstream Home
jlovelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
sandstone , Minnesota
We, also, have been struggling with adding a gray water tank in our 57 Airstream Overlander. There is only about 4" within the frame for adding a tank, and I don't really want it to hang below the frame. I am still thinking about it, but maybe someone out there has an idea for both of us. My toilet sits on top of the black water tank, also, which gives some extra room, but the shower is lower. I could put a tank on the side of one of the twin beds for the two sinks, but it would not solve the shower issue. I have considered puting in a pump that would pump the shower water up to a tank I could install under the bed. Anyone out there ever done that? Warm regards from Minnesota. Greg & Judy
gregjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
I have been thinking seriously about the shower water sump pump idea too. I think the little pump would best be located down low between the frame members so it keeps its prime. Hair might present a problem but what about one of those squish the tubing type pumps? The throne lends itself to being high over the black water tank and the sink(s) can store water beneath if need be.

Barry
doing a complete rebuild/upgrade of a '65 Carvel
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
sandstone , Minnesota
Well, after much research, we have ordered a gray water tank for our trailer and an in-line pump for the shower. Appears to be the only solution (and a good one) since I do not want the hang the tank below the frame and reduce ground clearance. The gray water tank is 21 gallons and will fit under the bed nicely. The sinks will feed via gravity to it and the shower water via the in-line pump. I will post again after everything is hooked up, and let you know how it works. Greg & Judy
gregjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Follow-up

Greetings!

Just wondering how/if this installation worked out for you? If so, can you let me know where you got the tank & pump?

Thanks!

Well, after much research, we have ordered a gray water tank for our trailer and an in-line pump for the shower. Appears to be the only solution (and a good one) since I do not want the hang the tank below the frame and reduce ground clearance. The gray water tank is 21 gallons and will fit under the bed nicely. The sinks will feed via gravity to it and the shower water via the in-line pump. I will post again after everything is hooked up, and let you know how it works. Greg & Judy[/quote]
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I used this

I love the Caravel layout and did not want to screw it up. I used this tank for grey water in both the Caravel and the Curtis. Just the right size for my purposes.
HT630-ED : Left End Drain Holding Tank : 8 Gal : 3" Spigot fitting - Icon Technologies Limited
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
gray water tank options

thanks all for great solutions to the "caravel" drain water issue. Now I sure could use some diagrams or photos of how you did the installation!! thank you in advance. I know how hard it seems to post a picture on this site. And I consider the rear bath layout the best for the small trailer. You have a 6 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 dressing room that also serves as a shower, an inside toilet, and a washup sink. I have found much smaller bath spaces on big bucks triple slide-out trailers!!! joe & susan in Minnesnowda
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We have made some progress on our gray tank installation in our 1962 Flying Cloud. You can take a look at it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...tallation-144/
Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Where is the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I love the Caravel layout and did not want to screw it up. I used this tank for grey water in both the Caravel and the Curtis. Just the right size for my purposes.
HT630-ED : Left End Drain Holding Tank : 8 Gal : 3" Spigot fitting - Icon Technologies Limited
Melody Ranch --

Where did you locate the grey tank?

Thanks,

John
65CV
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi CV65

8 Gal is a pretty small tank. You will be emptying it frequently. You might take a look at my installation of a 23 gal tank if you don't mind the tank sticking out under the belly. Keep in mind that the tank doesn't stick out below the axle, so if you are going to bottom out with it, you are already in trouble!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...tallation-144/

FLYNCLD
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Grey tanks

Here is a good source.
RV Holding Tanks

As noted. you can also get big tanks that hang below the frame. Watch out here, however. They will drag on steep drives (gas station drives are the worst) and some installations open the belly to critters, cold air and moisture. The dump valves are the most common casualty.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks, guys

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll post back when we order them.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel