Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Adding a Gray Tank to my '72 Sovereign

As you know, the '72 models don't have a gray tank. I hate the idea of combining the two types of water, especially for a boondocking fool like me.

Has anybody added a gray tank to their Sovereign? Did you install it above the floor or below? Wouldn't it be easier to add a tank above the floor than under? One negative for above floor tanks are leaks. It's best to have any leaks below the plywood floor rather than above.

I'll soon be ripping out the interior and checking the floor so now would be a good time to contemplate an addition.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's an alternative to adding a gray water tank. Install a cassette toilet and use the existing black water tank for gray. Here's the Thetford webpage for this type of RV toilet.

http://www.thetford.com/portable_cassette.cfm

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Above floor tank requires a shower pump as used on boats. Course that would use up your batteries sooner. If I had the floor space you have I would go with that and add a battery or two. Better the leak you can see than the one found years later when the frame falls off.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I'm new to all this Airstream restoration but I've worked and many boats and tackled a similar problem. We used to use flexible (Dupont Hypalon) "rubber" water/waste tanks. These roll up so you can easily place them in tight spaces then they unroll to fill up the available space. They can be purchased with baffles as well. Just a thought. I'm considering the same for my '72 Overlander.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Interesting Idea

Trying to figure out a grey situation for my 20ft Globetrotter. Was thinking of adding grey. Your idea of the black to grey and this self contained black is interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
Here's an alternative to adding a gray water tank. Install a cassette toilet and use the existing black water tank for gray. Here's the Thetford webpage for this type of RV toilet.

http://www.thetford.com/portable_cassette.cfm
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Do you have a brand name or source for those flex tanks. Google doesn't give anything on the tanks.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Flexible tank source, etc.

Someone in these forums gave out a pointer for flexible tanks as follows:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VTWASTETANKS.htm

One thing I noticed about the flexible tanks is that they seem to have 1-1/2" as the largest input/output connections on them. It is my understanding that they are typically used with a toilet that has a macerator pump built in. Also note that as far as I can tell the marine systems have a combined gray and black water system.

On my 1973 31' Sovereign mid-bath the black water tank is above floor. Someone added a rather poorly installed grey water tank under the floor in the cavity just behind where the black tank is. I have been considering various options for black and greay water as part of my total remodel. I want to eliminate the black tank above the floor where it is since it sticks into the back bedroom and gets in the way of my floor plan ideas for back there. I have all but made up my mind to go with a 40 gallon combined black and grey tank under the floor just below the toilet location. I would install a macerator pump on the output. There is a lot of mixed reaction to the idea of combining the black and grey. For some more details of the discussions my posting on the topic prompted look at the thread titled:

Combined Gray and Black Water?

I would be happy to discuss the approach I am thinking of with anyone that might be interested. I also have various details about where to get a tank that will fit the area and how I intend to support it under the floor.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote