Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like your grey tank is above the floor. How does it collect water from the shower?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Killingworth , Connecticut
I'm gettting ready to open the belly on our 66 Globetrotter to provide meaurements to Steve at VTS so we can design a bigger tank to fit into the bay behind the wheels. My bay measures approx 24 inches front to back. If you have the ability to get me the measurements for that bay so we can get a generic size done we would appreciate it. We would need accurate side to side, front to back and floor to lower beam edge measurements along with your year and model. We are shooting for a 19 to 23 gallon tank.

We are doing the Full Monti on ours currently so we can do whatever we want as we build along. What I'm doing for drain and venting is to put the bath and kitchen drains into one pipe on the curbside below the Fridge and drop it right through the flooring into the tank, the shower pan will drain forward into the side of the tank(center shower setup), the vent will come up through the floor on the streetside and be run out the vent for the black tank in the wardrobe. Vent on the curbside will be eliminated. Dump valve will be a Valterra straight out the bottom on the streetside. Holding the tank in place will require bolting in angle iron on each end and 1 or 2 straps in the center.

Cheers, Rob

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Saguache , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It sounds like your grey tank is above the floor. How does it collect water from the shower?
My little trailer doesn't have a shower.

That's why we park it as far away from other people as possible
Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1959 18' Traveler
Oakland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
Actually, we ended up getting a tank from TankDepot.com that fit in our closet and just behind the wheel well. It is a nice size and works just fine. We ran the existing air vent into the closet to vent it and made a separate drain that attaches to a hose so we can drain it where it is allowed. Otherwise we empty it when we empty the black tank. If anybody wants pictures, I can take some and post them.
I'm doing a shelf off restoration of a 1959 18' CA Traveler, and I'd appreciate pictures of your tanks, venting, etc. I have the original black tank - which I'll use as a template for a new black tank - and I've been considering a small above-floor closet tank as a grey tank. This is our first and only trailer so I'm just learning about trailer plumbing. Any advice on how your grey tank drain is set up would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
I worked with Steve on the development of these tanks & have installed many of them since they went into production. I feel the best approach is to install two of them so you'll end up with a 32 gallon capacity. As I have "spin welding" capability, I install the coupling fitting, entrances & vent fittings myself, however if you make a sketch for Steve, he'll install them to your spec before shipping. I've included a few photos of a recent installation while the chassis was on my rotisserie.
Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	126091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	126092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	126093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	126094  

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have had one of the VTS tanks installed, but it will only hold 9 gals. of gray water, rather than the 16 gals. I have a '63 Trade Wind with the rear corner tub/shower.

I am wondering if the bottom of the tub is below the top of the gray tank thereby preventing it from completely filling. At 9 gals in the water starts backing up in the tub drain.

How would you re-engineermy set up to get a complete fill?
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
but it will only hold 9 gals. of gray water, rather than the 16 gals. I have a '63 Trade Wind with the rear corner tub/shower.

I am wondering if the bottom of the tub is below the top of the gray tank thereby preventing it from completely filling. At 9 gals in the water starts backing up in the tub drain.

How would you re-engineermy set up to get a complete fill?
First off...is your new gray tank visible above the floor? I would think it would be installed below the floor in between the floor and belly pan within the frame area. Typically, the floor of the shower/tub rests on the floor - it doesn't drop below it. If the new tank is on top of the floor - I would think that the shower wouldn't drain into it at all since the drain & P-trap go below the floor. Since it does take 9 gallons or so...my guess is that there wasn't a vent installed for the gray tank. Without a air vent, the tank will not fill up all the way. There needs to be a way for the air to escape for it to fill all the way with water. Add a vent if there isn't one and your problem should be solved ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Has anyone ever put a tank above the floor with a pump of some sort to pump the grey water up to the tank from the shower? Then getting the shower water to the tank, (which seems to be the biggest problem with adding a grey water tank) would be solved.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I talked with Steve about the new tanks. Depending on your frame depth (3 or 4"?) you don't want to push the tank up to the plywood floor if you have an inch or of extra depth. You want the tank to be flush with the belly pan for the maximum amount of fill. that means possibly you will want to put 3/4 or 1" polystyrene to the bottom of the floor of the trailer, then add the belly pan. That allows the pan to be lower than the shower - especially if your trailer isn't completely level. Additionally, you may have a situation where air trapped in the tanks is preventing them from filling completely. 1" of airspace over several square inches can amount to a lot of water. They're only a couple inches thick, but wide.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Drainage issues

Hey Collin,
With the set up you use is there any issue with draining the tanks fully? The way the two tanks are attached it would seem as though water my remain in the first tank unless you raise the front of the trailer. Do you have any pictures of how you plumbed the drains for these tanks? Does this trailer have a black tank also and where was that installed. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Baltimore , Maryland
Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
I worked with Steve on the development of these tanks & have installed many of them since they went into production. I feel the best approach is to install two of them so you'll end up with a 32 gallon capacity. As I have "spin welding" capability, I install the coupling fitting, entrances & vent fittings myself, however if you make a sketch for Steve, he'll install them to your spec before shipping. I've included a few photos of a recent installation while the chassis was on my rotisserie.
Colin
How do these tanks drain? I can't see any drain line. It would be great if you could post some photos showing how they are plumbed.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
When you install these in tandem, you'll need to get Steve to install another fitting on the front face of the rear tank. This allows the water to flow from the front tank to the rear tank & then drain. You'll also need to have vent fittings installed in the top of each tank to make sure you don't end up with diminished capacity due to an air lock. As the drain fittings are installed on the vertical faces, you'll need to request that they are installed as low as possible to insure that the tanks drain completely. As I have "spin welding" capability, I install fittings to suit each individual application. If these fittings are installed correctly & the vents are connected & the trailer is level, you won't have any issues with draining.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
When you install these in tandem, you'll need to get Steve to install another fitting on the front face of the rear tank. This allows the water to flow from the front tank to the rear tank & then drain. You'll also need to have vent fittings installed in the top of each tank to make sure you don't end up with diminished capacity due to an air lock. As the drain fittings are installed on the vertical faces, you'll need to request that they are installed as low as possible to insure that the tanks drain completely. As I have "spin welding" capability, I install fittings to suit each individual application. If these fittings are installed correctly & the vents are connected & the trailer is level, you won't have any issues with draining.
Thanks,
Colin
Thanks for the reply. I do have one more question. How do you monitor these tanks? The seelevel monitoring system sensors cannot be cut down less than 4.5" and these tanks are not quite 4". Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
bumping...

hey, Colin: can you provide more detail on how the tanks are actually held in place? looks like straps, but kind of thin....and I can see one end of a mounting bolt sticking out, but it doesn't look like there's any access to the other end--how can you remove the tank if it ever needs repair, etc?
all the weight being supported by the sheer-strength of the bolts?

good question on the tank monitoring, too.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote