Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Malcolm, what side is your valve - street or curb side? Just wondering. I prefer it out the street side or the back to keep it away from where we are sitting under the awning (in case there's ever a leak), and also because most of the dump stations I've been to are set up for dumping on the street side.

I like what you are doing overall. I may reconsider how I have mine now which are inside the trailer. It would not take a lot of effort to move them below the floor. Keep the pictures coming please.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry,

The original location of the dump attacement was on the street side. I could put it anywhere that I wanted to but I am thinking that the street side makes sense. If I understand correctly a macerator pump outputs through a conventional garden hose. Since I am intending to use a macerator pump on the output I think I can have a more or less conventional hose bib attachement wherever I want it. I might opt for a quick-click type of connection rather than a threaded fitting too. I have not gotton that far in my planning yet.

Malcolm

Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Malcom, I have a 1973 31' Sovereign. The black tank is leaking. Do you have any advice on how to get it out. It is like yours, being on the top of the floor. We have removed the toilet & the flange. But what else?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwagenor
Malcom, I have a 1973 31' Sovereign. The black tank is leaking. Do you have any advice on how to get it out. It is like yours, being on the top of the floor. We have removed the toilet & the flange. But what else?
I am not entirely sure what the minimum that you would have to remove is. In my case the inside was nearly gutted and I was taking out everything anyway. The tank does extend under the bathroom wall into the bedroom a bit. There is a vertical vent attachment to the top of the tank that may be visible in the corner of the bathroom. There also are some tank level wires connected somewhere - probably along the streetside. You might need to disconnect the drain fittings from underneath too since you might have to slide the tank out from under the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom to get it out.

Is the tank leaking from a fitting or does it seem to have a crack somewhere? If you can get to where it is cracked you may be able to patch it in place. If it is a fitting you may be able to take the fitting off and reseal it when putting it back on.

I am sorry I can be of more help than that. You might try starting an new thread asking your specific question. I imagine that someone in the forums has had to do what you need to do.

Malcolm
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Malcolm,
I just ordered a few tanks for projects. One of them is ecentually going to go into my 1963 Globerotter.
I found several grey tanks that would esily go in teh existing cavities, and that hold close to 30gal. With a 5in frame, you could hide an even larger tank, probably 35 gal.
Just a thought.
Uwe
Old 06-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Malcolm. we got the tank removed. It was a little work but it is done. Now we know how it all went together. Bad news is that the tank is cracked in several places & not repairable.

Inland has a very close replacement, but not exact. Any recommendations on having one built or suggestions?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwagenor View Post
Any recommendations on having one built or suggestions?
Inc Plastics Inc. was the original supplier on my 1970. I contacted them and they still had the original mold. Got it in about two weeks. Be sure to remind them to install in sensors if you want them.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
What about keeping these exposed tanks from freezing? I like to stretch the season out a little and have gotten caught in a cold snap. My furnace keeps the tank from freezing.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Malcolm. we got the tank removed. It was a little work but it is done. Now we know how it all went together. Bad news is that the tank is cracked in several places & not repairable.

Inland has a very close replacement, but not exact. Any recommendations on having one built or suggestions?
Are you sure it is not repairable? If it is like my original tank it seems to me that I remember seeing that flanges were heat welded on. If that is true (and I am not sure if I am remembering correctly) then I would think that just about any crack could be heat welding repaired. The trick I guess would be to either find a place in your area that does that or do it yourself. I believe that there has been some mention of that in the forum here so maybe a search could find some information. Also Harbor Freight sells some heat welding tools that are not expensive that can be used for this type of thing. Check out the following link:

Harbor Freight Tools

Malcolm
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Our tank has a huge crack on the bottom, which could be fixed. But where the toilet fit & the dump valve was attached is just busted to pieces. We took it to a plastic weld company & the tank was just too brittle to hold any weld.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Our tank has a huge crack on the bottom, which could be fixed. But where the toilet fit & the dump valve was attached is just busted to pieces. We took it to a plastic weld company & the tank was just too brittle to hold any weld.
That sounds pretty conclusive alright! How different was the one that Inland has? I have a number of weblinks to companies that supply holding tanks. Some of them will custom make to order. Also you might find that one of them has what you need. Here is the list that I have and I am sure that there are other places too:

All-Rite Custom Manufacturing
http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm
RV Water Holding and Water Tanks - Ronco Plastics
- Plastic-Mart -
water tanks, plastic tanks, septic tanks

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Malcolm
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
That sounds pretty conclusive alright!

How different was the one that Inland has?

Malcolm

Our replacement tank for the 73 large Airstream's, is "exactly" the same as the original, except ours are not broken.

Andy
Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1960 24' Tradewind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Andy,
I have pictures with measurements of the tank we have. It is above floor tank. Can you look at them to be sure. I have sent the pictures to Greg Polston. But I can send them to you also.

janie
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank Top.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	61928

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank Bottom.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	61929
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Birch Run , Michigan
attempting the rediculas... impossible to MT

So how do you completely MT the tanks ????
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Troutville , Virginia
A 73 Grey water

Have a 73 29 foot ambassador with center bath.
I had two tanks built (locally) which fit between the crossmenbers with a pass through beween the tanks, the tanks are supported with a 1 inch plywood resting on angle wiith an exit out the back(same design as what is used on your fresh water tanks) - i.e. 1 inch plywould could be dropped to remove tank if necessary - bathroom sink, shower and kitchen sink were plummed to these two tanks and vented through the same vent as the bathroom blackwater - gives me approx 45 gal of gray water capacity - built a separate drain for these tanks - works good.
Jim J