Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Hawkeye5 View Post
Well, I do own a pressure washer. I can see using it after I get rid of the majority of the remains.
It's been 3 months+, how did the black tank follies turn out?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Originally Posted by licketysplit View Post
OK, I've had the Rid-X and water in the black water tank for a couple of weeks now and will be flushing all that out soon. Two questions: Is three weeks any better than two weeks for letting the enzymes work? Is there an optimum time?
The more material build-up the longer you may want to let the bacteria and their enzymes to work. If it's just a crust layer then 2 weeks may be enough. A whole box of Rid-x is alot for a hilding tank - so there was and is alot of activity in there. Rid-x is a natural product used to boost what bacteria are found naturally in your "you-know-what". Given time the little critters will eat all that is useable to them and die off. They won't "clean" the tank to new but they should loosen it up some.

Originally Posted by licketysplit View Post
Also, The AS will be used as a guest room/getaway but I don't plan to use the holding tanks. In fact, I removed the toilet and have not replaced it. I've read somewhere not to put bleach in the blackwater tank, but if it is all cleaned out and isn't going to be used, would there be any reason not to run some strong bleach water through it just to get the residual odor out?

Thank you!
I think the "no bleach" policy is if you are going to continue to use the tank as a holding tank - bleach will kill of what bacteria is in there and stop all digestion of the "stuff". Just to deodorize and not use - bleach away, I say.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon

Great, thank you!!!
licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 22
Hendersonville , Tennessee

It has been marinating in water and enzymes.
Looks like good progress. I really think it should clean out without much difficulty.

Iíve not taken the trailer out as I have been having some problems with the electric brakes. I feel the brakes need to be 100% before I go anywhere. I think I now have a handle on what the brake problem is and hope to correct it this weekend.

Hawkeye5 is offline   Reply With Quote