Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You might have some luck with hot water...You'll need access to your sewer clean out opening to hook up your drain hose .

I've hooked a garden hose to a hot water source at home, and using a Strong detergent solution, have softened the solids enough to flush away the bits...let it soak for a while, then using only the hot water, sticking the hose through the toilet valve, or even used one of those flush attachments you stick down into the tank through the toilet...

Hot water and detergent works wonders in the gray tank also to help dissolve the accumulated grease residue...a once a year treatment should keep things in shape...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ick. You've heard the joke about the guy who sells his cars when the ashtray gets full?... Well, this PO sold his AS when his "asstray" got full it seems!

Seriously though...sure don't envy you the task ahead...whether you try to clean or replace...it's a bummer. I'd at least try to loosen it up with soaking, etc, using some of the methods suggested above before replacing it...you have nothing to loose but your lunch. It may look worse than it really is...the only way to find out is to give it a try.

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I wouldn't touch that nasty job. Some things are better left paying the professionals to handle!
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I'd think taking the black tank off would be difficult/nasty and potentially expensive. I'd try most if not all the above suggestions oveer & over first. Ridex is good, but would take time. I'd try letting some mineral oil & water mixture soak overnight also. I wouldn't think it could hurt.

But also very important:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
It occurs to me that a large rag around the wand of the pressure washer at the toilet "gate" might prevent unwanted "backsplash".
I'd use a full face safety shield, elastic gloves & a long sleeve shirt. Camping World sells the pressure washer "wand" mentioned by Fyrzowt above that attaches to a garden hose, you then insert the wand down the toilet into the black tank. Let the water run full force for a good long while, twisting the wand around as much as you can, then drain. Camping World also sells a clear plastic attachment to your dump connection outlet. You attach it to your dump outlet, then attach your stinky slinkie from that to a to a dump station, then attach a garden hose to the clear plastic fitting & turn on the water at full blast. The high pressure jet of water is shooting into your black tank, hopefully breaking down the offending matter. If this is going to work or help, you'll be able to see the Black Hills leaving your tank.

Please do let us know if any of this works for you. Your problem is not new, so don't feel like you shouldn't discuss it here.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
return to sender

Same thing happened to me, even after the PO agreed to clean his junk out of the trailer, and empty all holding tanks before I came to pay him and take it home. I stupidly waited untill getting it home before giving the dump valve a quick nudge- surprise! I thought of returning the emptied contents to him, and would have, had the transport of said contents not been so disgusting. People seem to constantly be trying to set new records for squalid behavior- even house cats bury their waste. At any rate- I'll bet you can get 'er clean by the already mentioned methods- just use respirator, face shield, gloves, shower cap, rain coat, etc. Good luck, and once you get past that, everything else will be fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
You can also make the drain side of the tank lower by adjusting the trailer parking so that the cleaning water goes out faster.
Just be sure to turn off your refrigerator. I ruined one running it parked on uneven ground.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
Another "solution"

Well, I just this week dealt with the same thing with my '76 Sovereign. After removing the toilet and discovering the free stuff the PO left me (at least he emptied the liquids), I called around and found a guy who came and cleaned it out. I called a bunch of septic tank services, but he was the only one around here who does RVs. Anyway, it worked great, except I didn't plan ahead and soak the dried stuff, so he couldn't get it all. The AS hasn't been used for a very long time and the tank and its contents are all dried out. I think if I had filled it with water and enzyme stuff a couple of days beforehand, it would have worked better. He charged me $70, which I gladly paid.

I think I'll try to soak the rest loose with some Rid-X, now that I know what to expect and it's not so scary. I can't do the driving around thing because I don't have a tow vehicle.

Now if I could only figure out how to get the horrible smell out of the plywood floor short of replacing it.
licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
Question Is Bleach a No-No?

OK, I've had the Rid-X and water in the black water tank for a couple of weeks now and will be flushing all that out soon. Two questions: Is three weeks any better than two weeks for letting the enzymes work? Is there an optimum time?

Also, The AS will be used as a guest room/getaway but I don't plan to use the holding tanks. In fact, I removed the toilet and have not replaced it. I've read somewhere not to put bleach in the blackwater tank, but if it is all cleaned out and isn't going to be used, would there be any reason not to run some strong bleach water through it just to get the residual odor out?

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye5 View Post
Well, I do own a pressure washer. I can see using it after I get rid of the majority of the remains.
It's been 3 months+, how did the black tank follies turn out?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by licketysplit View Post
OK, I've had the Rid-X and water in the black water tank for a couple of weeks now and will be flushing all that out soon. Two questions: Is three weeks any better than two weeks for letting the enzymes work? Is there an optimum time?
The more material build-up the longer you may want to let the bacteria and their enzymes to work. If it's just a crust layer then 2 weeks may be enough. A whole box of Rid-x is alot for a hilding tank - so there was and is alot of activity in there. Rid-x is a natural product used to boost what bacteria are found naturally in your "you-know-what". Given time the little critters will eat all that is useable to them and die off. They won't "clean" the tank to new but they should loosen it up some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licketysplit View Post
Also, The AS will be used as a guest room/getaway but I don't plan to use the holding tanks. In fact, I removed the toilet and have not replaced it. I've read somewhere not to put bleach in the blackwater tank, but if it is all cleaned out and isn't going to be used, would there be any reason not to run some strong bleach water through it just to get the residual odor out?

Thank you!
I think the "no bleach" policy is if you are going to continue to use the tank as a holding tank - bleach will kill of what bacteria is in there and stop all digestion of the "stuff". Just to deodorize and not use - bleach away, I say.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks!

Great, thank you!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Terry,

It has been marinating in water and enzymes.
Looks like good progress. I really think it should clean out without much difficulty.

I’ve not taken the trailer out as I have been having some problems with the electric brakes. I feel the brakes need to be 100% before I go anywhere. I think I now have a handle on what the brake problem is and hope to correct it this weekend.
Hawkeye5 is offline   Reply With Quote