Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
77/31' Dump Valve repair

Can anyone tell me if the black water dump valve can be repaired from the small access panel that appears to be original approx. 4"X 6" that are located directly below the valves. I can touch the screws on the valves but I don't know if there will be any wiggle room to remove & install the new seals.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That's a tough one, Phil!

I've never had to tackle one on a vintage A/S, but I can tell you that they sure require more than a 4" X 6" space to R & R one on any newer RV. The biggest problem is getting the interior gaskets properly aligned on either side of the blade while prying the piping apart to give you a little wiggle room. See what I mean?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Phil, it ain't gonna happen!

Been there done that.

Make the hole bigger to get at everything, then use a larger cover plate.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
If the gate valve is glued to the exiting sewer pipe then it is a BIG job. That's the way my 76 is. You will have to remove the rear bumper, the big plastic sewer pipe storage compartment and cut the sewer pipe off of the valve on the front side of the metal cross member, which means you will need a big access hole under the valve. Then you will have to replace the connecting Y joint that you cut off with a new one and perhaps cut and add some spacers to get it all back together!! It's doable but not simple. Been there, done that! My advice, replace BOTH gate valves with NEW ones. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Phil, this may help this is what it looks like fron the top, see the small access holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	38090  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
If the gate valve is glued to the exiting sewer pipe then it is a BIG job. That's the way my 76 is. You will have to remove the rear bumper, the big plastic sewer pipe storage compartment and cut the sewer pipe off of the valve on the front side of the metal cross member, which means you will need a big access hole under the valve. Then you will have to replace the connecting Y joint that you cut off with a new one and perhaps cut and add some spacers to get it all back together!! It's doable but not simple. Been there, done that! My advice, replace BOTH gate valves with NEW ones. Bill
My comments apply to a "REAR BATH" Sovereign. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks guys, looks like I have a job (crappy) ahead of me.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote