Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
73 black tank valve replacement

my 73 rear bath 31 sovereign has a black tank valve that slowly lets the liquids leak into the grey water area.

I have gone as far as pulling the toilet and bribing my 9 yr old son with $10 to stick a trash bag covered arm in there and scrape the valve. that helped a little and I was able to close the valve all the way but it still leaks.

The valve itself is white with a handle on the top that has metal clips on the side when you close it all the way. I can see 4 screws holding it on.

How do these things come out? Can I replace the valve parts when I remove the screws without replacing the whole valve? Are there different options on replacing it?

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Steven The valves are available. They remove by those four screws. Call Inland Andy and he will get you the right valve. I'm not sure but the valve repair kits I think are no longer available.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
WHat happens when you remove the screws? Does it just pull out vertically? Any cutting involved?

www.steventothemax.com
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
The valve is glued to your 3" drain pipeing. It will require replacing this pipeing. It is common 3" ABS pipe available at any hardware outllet. The big orange will have it.
When I replaced mine I updated the drain end(available from any RV outlet) to accept the new sewer hose connections. The original Thetford fitting is hard to find and limits your'e choices of slinky hose connections.
The new valves I got were a press on fit so no glueing was required to fit the valve.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks Chris. So I'll have to cut the 3" at the valve and also where the grey water comes in? And replace basically a Y shaped ABS configuration.

www.steventothemax.com
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
I guess so. Since you do not have a grey tank. Make sure you cut the grey pipe somewhere that you can attach a 3" ABS coupler. Then attach more 3" pipe to get to the Y and attach the other leg of the Y to the new valve. Then screw the new valve body into the valve flange that remains connected to the black tank. Then the rest of the 3" pipe and slinky hose fittings can be attached to the third leg of the Y.
I have both black and grey tanks so both lines had valve flanges attached to tanks and were slipped into the tank fittings and secured with gear clamps.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Stephen I just had a look at the drainage diagram for the 73 31 rear bath. It looks like the grey line reduces down to 2" ABS right before the Y and goes through two 45 elbows and then runs along the back edge of the black tank. I'm not sure because the diagram is small but there may be a coupler between the two elbows you could just undo the gear clamps and only have to replace the reuder and the first elbow. If not that's where you could cut the 2" ABS and use a rubber coupler called a FERNCO fitting. It slips over each end of the pipe and clamps down with two gear clamps.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Stephen I just had a look at the drainage diagram for the 73 31 rear bath. It looks like the grey line reduces down to 2" ABS right before the Y and goes through two 45 elbows and then runs along the back edge of the black tank. I'm not sure because the diagram is small but there may be a coupler between the two elbows you could just undo the gear clamps and only have to replace the reuder and the first elbow. If not that's where you could cut the 2" ABS and use a rubber coupler called a FERNCO fitting. It slips over each end of the pipe and clamps down with two gear clamps.
Wasachris,

Where did you find the 73 drainage diagram? I need that info for my 74. Thanks!

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote