Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Arrow 73' Argosy Waste Tank

I am really scratching my head on my Argosy waste system. I have yet to use it as I am still remodeling. But I have been over, and over, the operators manual and I still can't get my head around this system.

My understanding is that it has only one tank. But yet it talks about emptying the grey water only by leaving the cap on and opening the gate valve??? There is a cap with a garden hose fitting on it but I just don't get the concept.

How would you not get black water in there?? are there 2 partitions in the single tank??

As I said the manual just doesn't do a good job on this. I'm a picture guy.

Thanks
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

In lieu of a description does anyone have a link to a diagram that shows how the ol' Argosy system works?? I've googled til' blue.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I can't speak to your trailer - but 1973 was the year they introduced a grey tank. It could be possible that your tank config and the manual don't agree. It has been known to happen...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Janet...... I'm such a rookie at this trailering that I don't have a clue on how to tell. There is only one fitting underneath, and one valve in the bumper compartment..

Appreciate you response...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think you most likely have only a black tank. 1973 was the first year for grey tanks, but not many units had them. The procedure you discribe sounds like way you could port grey water into your black tank. You cap the drain and open the black tank valve. The grey water then would back into the black tank from the drain.

It is not a very practical thing to do. The black tank is too small to hold much grey water and would fill up quickly. Then you have the problem of draining the tank. You would close the black valve, remove the cap and install the drain hose. But wait, you have a quart or so of raw sewage between the valve and the drain, that is now on the ground or your feet.

A better way to manage your waste is to use the black tank for black water. Use the cap with a hose connection to have your grey water drain into a blue tote. The grey water can then be taken to the dump station and emptied.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Richard....... So by leaving the valve closed (in the bumper compartment) the grey water can still get out that outlet??? I think I'm slowly catching on.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If I am right about you having one tank, yes. Put some water down the kitchen sink, it should run right out of the drain. Same with the bathroom sink and the shower.

Richard

Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I am in your debt sir........ Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Monroe , North Carolina
I will verify, this is correct having ripped everything out. The water flows continuously through one valve and only when you open the valve does the black also flow.... I have it all ripped apart so if you have any other questions just let me know....

I am looking for a place that carries black water tanks or can get me one so if anyone knows anyone, please let me know...
Chiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 24
Centennial , Colorado
I have a similar question, but cant seem to figure out whats going on...I have a 72 Argosy. Do i have only one tank? Does the kitchen drain, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet all go to the same place? Under the botton of the Argosy, there is only one valve that opens...and seems like a sewer line? help...
SNOBORDJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOBORDJON View Post
I have a similar question, but cant seem to figure out whats going on...I have a 72 Argosy. Do i have only one tank? Does the kitchen drain, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet all go to the same place? Under the botton of the Argosy, there is only one valve that opens...and seems like a sewer line? help...
The one valve if for the Black tank (toilet). The Grey water from everyplace else comes out the same drain pipe, but has no valve.

Richard

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #12

1972 Argosy 20
New Hempstead , New York
Hi All I just riped my Argosy apart the flow is Black water tank- Thetford valve - tailpipe / graywater combiner - out
SWidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Monroe , North Carolina
Argosy plumbing

Did you figure out your issue?
I have a 73 22' and will help if you need it as I have ripped everything out and have reinstalled. I do not have a grey tank on this camper, although would have been nice

Carl
Chiquita is offline   Reply With Quote