Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
'71 Tradewind gray tank install

I am in the process of redoing rear bath floor and adding 30 gal gray tank in the space directly behind axle. It's scary but everything seems to be going ok, but I could use some advice on a couple of points. What is the best method to attach pipes to tank, and will I be able to drain both tanks with one hose hook up? The gray will dump out the end just below belly pan, and black dumps straight down, so I should be able to ell the gray tank through a valve and into a tee shouldn't I?

All help appreciated
Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
You could see how I did it there is a pic on post 51.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...tml#post767482

Also, more pics here: Picasa Web Albums - Mike - Silverhoot
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Tom,
I just added a 24 gal gray tank under the floor, again about mid way from the axle to the rear bumper in my 70 Safari.
Same issue, where and how to drain. My main black tank is above the floor just behind the shower/toilet stall. The connector has a gray water connector but no shut-off. During the recent 4CU Vintage rally, Uwe had a connector from Valttera and I found one localy. The issue is that gravity just will not let the gray flow up and out of the tank to the main collector drain.
I am currently looking at two options, one is a stainles 12v pump that I have mounted and hooked up to pump into the black tank (once it's empty) or just go direct with a self supported 1 1/2" drain pipe with valve for the gray tank. I'm leaning toward the self standing pipe as I tend to not make things more dependent on a pump...
My tank hangs down only about 3 inches from the bottom of the frame. I understand that Vintage TS may have a 5" hight tanks available soon. I'll keep my eye out for that...
My rear frame and new rear floor are done and new flooring is about a week away!
Let me know how you do, Stream Safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I've no idea where your tanks are, or how you are positioning the new gray tank, but here's how it happens on a '74 mid-bath:

Or here's a rear bath, just to show another option.

Good luck with your work! There have been several other good threads where this has been done, it might be interesting for you to use the search button up top, and put something like "add gray tank" into the Google box...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
My black tank is above floor level, and gray will go below floor level. It's looking like I will have seperate connections for the hose. At least they will be right next to each other. i could have tee'd into the black tank drain, but that would get too low to the ground. I think I have decided to spin weld the fittings into the new tank. Does anyone know where or if a person can still get the fitting that attaches to the black tank? I might be able to reuse the one I have, but will require somehow sealing off the 2" line where the gray water used to drain out. Any ideas?

Tom
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote