Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
'65 Caravel Tank Options

I have a thread in the Caravel section, but thought I would post my questions here about tanks so more people see it and can contribute.

I am contemplating black and grey water tanks for our Caravel. I have gotten some quotes for custom tanks and they are expensive. Also, almost as expensive is the only non-custom black tank option available at Inland RV. I was thinking about ordering this one from VTS and customizing it to fit my Caravel. Basically, it would require a corner to be cut and a new corner welded to match the shape of the old tank. Has anybody done ABS welding? Is this a feasible option? I would like to know because this tank looks basically the same without the cutout that is required to fit the corner of the caravel. Here is the original tank as I have drawn it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank Original.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	188016  

Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel65 View Post
I have a thread in the Caravel section, but thought I would post my questions here about tanks so more people see it and can contribute.

I am contemplating black and grey water tanks for our Caravel. I have gotten some quotes for custom tanks and they are expensive. Also, almost as expensive is the only non-custom black tank option available at Inland RV. I was thinking about ordering this one from VTS and customizing it to fit my Caravel. Basically, it would require a corner to be cut and a new corner welded to match the shape of the old tank. Has anybody done ABS welding? Is this a feasible option? I would like to know because this tank looks basically the same without the cutout that is required to fit the corner of the caravel. Here is the original tank as I have drawn it...
If you have never done plastic weldng, then don't learn on a new plastic tank. If you slip, the tank is istory.

Fiberglass tanks can be modifed easier than working with mud pies.

No special tools needed for fiberglass work.

Andy

Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, I have done ABS welding. In fact I built 3 tanks for Little Girl from scratch - two gray tanks and one black tank. You can get an idea of what I did in our thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-50967-12.html starting at post 168.

Be forewarned: cutting and welding ABS is a stinky job!! Good ventilation is a must.

If it were me, I'd build a new tank from scratch rather than try and cut off a corner and then try to weld the sloped sides back together. But then, that requires having a source for ABS sheets. The one drawback to how I did it is that I used 1/4" ABS for the tanks. With the size of the tanks I made, they need support under them or they would end up sagging under the weight of the water. But your tank would be much smaller, so it may not have the same issue with 1/4" ABS. You could use 3/8" or 1/2" ABS too.

If you decide to purchase the tank and cut the corner off, bevel the ends where you will weld them back together to form a "V". This will then let you lay down several layers of new ABS in the joint to ensure you get a good strong weld that doesn't leak.

I mixture of ABS melted with MEK is also a good thing to have handy. You can coat the entire weld with it and it will fill in any pinholes in the weld.

Feel free to PM me to ask questions if you want.

Chris
Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Chris you are a motivator and yes I have read your thread several times and have done research on welders and abs sources the hole nine yards! Someday I will play. I prefer fiberglass in the caravel only because of the tank location and size.
Cliff
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Jewel,

I documented a rebuild of a Caravel Black Tank on this thread. Basically, I used composite construction -- make the box out of plywood, then coat it with multiple layers of fiberglass. It's as strong as a boat.

You may also consider enlarging it. Ours was a little small for two. CJohnson enlarged his. Here's his thread that I bookmarked. If it's not here, he documented his source in another thread in that forum.

John
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I needed a black tank for my 68 when I got it. Since I was not going to drop the belly pan and not add a grey tank, I opted for an OEM style tank from Inland. Why? First was the time factor, I had so many other chores to get the old girl back in camping ready condition I figured this one was money vs time and time won. Secondly, because of the way the grey water line runs into the outlet at the black tank I knew that it would be a real bear to figure out how to make it work with the original grey water line routing. If I was doing it over again and adding a grey tank (and I wish I had but VTS did not have the one that fit between the frame rails at the time) I would still just go ahead and get the tank I got from Inland. Yes, it was expensive. But, the quality is first rate, heavy duty fiberglass construction with good fit and finish. You have to fiberglass the fittings on the tank but that only took a few hours. Again, for me it was a time vs money thing plus I had so many other problems to solve as mine was in pretty bad shape when I got it.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
That's the kind of input I was looking for! This forum is great! I really like your ABS methods Chris. Actually I was thinking of ordering two of these VTS tanks, one for black and one for grey. After seeing Chris' method I might just try to make the grey tank from scratch. It could be made a little bigger. Bruce, VTS still does not make a grey tank that fits well in my space. The one linked here will work, but is a little small. Therefore building one is a good option. I have seen John's wooden box method also, but that looks like a lot more work. I have also seen CJohnsons method and like it. If I was going to get one custom made I would definitely make it that size. A lot to consider here. Thanks for the input. I will let you know what I decide.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
New Black Tank for all Caravel Owners!

Okay, my problem is being solved! For all the folks with Caravels, and Globetrotters of this vintage, we will soon have another choice when it comes to black tanks. I have been working with Steve Hingtgen of Vintage Trailer Supply and we think we are getting close to finishing the design of a polyethylene tank that will fit above the floor in the original location, but will stick out into the closet a little more than the original. It will be much like C Johnsons idea here, so a lot of credit should go to him. The thing about this is Steve is going to be able to open a mold and produce these tanks in bulk, so the price should be much better than other choices currently available. I am excited to be involved in this and hope others can benefit from this option. More to come...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
As long as Steve doesn't come out with a custom tank for Overlanders before I'm done.... I went round and round trying to figure out what to do on mine, then started down the road of a custom tank myself. The other night, I was wondering if I shouldn't have ordered Steve's gray tanks and saw his new Caravel tank coming soon. I was then wondering if I jumped too soon. I've already been the victim of Steve's constant improvement. I'll buy something from him, and he'll have an improved product before I can get the old one on!

Here's some pics of my custom ABS tanks. They drain to the center, but you probably can't see it in the pic. I'm also making a video of the cutting and welding I'll probably put on youtube in the future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_0270.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	198108   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0275.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	198109  

Name:	101_0278.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	198110   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0276.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	198111  

Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Looks awesome has it passed the water test?
Cliff
Old 10-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Not yet. Thanks. I don't expect a problem...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Here is the drawing of the new Caravel, Globetrotter black tank offered by VTS. It is 5" tall with these dimensions and will hold about 11.5 gallons. Here is the link to VTS website where the tank is available for purchase. Expected production date is Jan 1, 2014.

Corner Black Tank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black Tank Final_R2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	198263  
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
I posted some photos of this black tank being installed in my restoration thread if anybody reading this wants to see photos. It is thread #52
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Rob wok I like your shop much more organized than mine!

Tags
caravel