Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
64 GT Blackwater tank

The tank on my 64 GT was simply resting on the belly pan. I see an old piece of metal that surrounded it, but it is not in good shape. What supports the tank to the frame? Does anyone have pictures of what it is supposed to look like?

Secondly, my tank looks like it is in good shape, the drain looks good, the vent looks good, and the hole where the tub connects does not look good. If I fill this tank with water and there are no leaks, and the drain does not leak, can I replace the part where the toilet connects. if so, what part is it that goes there?

Attached are pictures of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	66334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	66335  

64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #2

1964 19' Globetrotter
Maryville , Tennessee
Have you figured out if you can replace the part where the toilet connects? Did your toilet flange screw on to a piece coming out of the tank? I also have 64 Globetrotter and am trying to get my flange off but can not turn. My tank was dropped about 3/4 of inch and previous owner cut a piece out of what was my dinette to fill the gap.

Thanks!
notruffinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Floor flange

The older Airstreams used a metal floor flange for the toilet to holding tank connection.

In time, that flange would rust to a fair degree, which would seize it to the tank.

If the metal floor flange refuses to come loose, then there is but one fix.

Cut several notches in the metal flange, being careful not to cut into the tank.

Then, and hold on to your words, using a chisel and hammer, try to break the floor flange into several pieces.

After the first chunk of the floor flange has been removed, the rest of the removal, becomes rather easy.

Again, use care and caution when cutting the flange.

Use as a replacement flange, plastic "ONLY".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The older Airstreams used a metal floor flange for the toilet to holding tank connection.
I thought mine was plastic, but it was awhile ago when I had to replace it and my memory isn't always the best. Anyway...bottom line is I had to do exactly what Andy describes below.

One more suggestion I would make is to replace the seals in your gate valve while you have the black tank out and easily accessible. A leaky valve is not something you want to deal with (Or just replace the whole valve)

Quote:
Cut several notches in the metal flange, being careful not to cut into the tank.

Then, and hold on to your words, using a chisel and hammer, try to break the floor flange into several pieces.

After the first chunk of the floor flange has been removed, the rest of the removal, becomes rather easy.

Again, use care and caution when cutting the flange.

Use as a replacement flange, plastic "ONLY".

Andy
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Woodland Hills , California
I had the same problem with my '65 Globetrotter black water tank. I did what Andy suggested. I bought the flange from Inland RV and used marine two part epoxy to seal the new flange in place. It worked great. Kenny
kennyp315 is offline   Reply With Quote