Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Cool '64 Bambi II waste tank questions

Hello- I am stripping out the interior of my Bambi II so I can get at floor and frame repairs more sensibly. The destruction is going quickly, and I am carefully removing each interior wall and cabinet piece (for patterns later) and taking lots of pictures.

I have the wet bath/toilet-in-shower- and only the one black/gray water tank combined. I am wondering:

1) how does the septic smell stay out of the cabin as the shower drain is in there...and presumably would let the septic tank odor in
2) the fiberglass shower stall/bathroom floor has some stress cracks in it and creaked a bit when I got in there. Is it possible to have another one made? It seems like it will not be something readily available from the vendors.

More to come. The shower and toilet plumbing are on the top of my thinking as I am tearing into this right now as I hope to get them just right...and most likely not add a gray water tank.

Thanks for any insight! Ben

Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Hello- I am stripping out the interior of my Bambi II so I can get at floor and frame repairs more sensibly. The destruction is going quickly, and I am carefully removing each interior wall and cabinet piece (for patterns later) and taking lots of pictures.

I have the wet bath/toilet-in-shower- and only the one black/gray water tank combined. I am wondering:

1) how does the septic smell stay out of the cabin as the shower drain is in there...and presumably would let the septic tank odor in
2) the fiberglass shower stall/bathroom floor has some stress cracks in it and creaked a bit when I got in there. Is it possible to have another one made? It seems like it will not be something readily available from the vendors.

More to come. The shower and toilet plumbing are on the top of my thinking as I am tearing into this right now as I hope to get them just right...and most likely not add a gray water tank.

Thanks for any insight! Ben
Ben.

Your Bambi was not mad with a gray tank. If you have one, someone added it. What might they have added, is anyone's guess.

A black and gray system should "NEVER" be combined into one tank.

It's a health hazard to do so.

Andy

Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Hi Andy-

Your words on this list are always very helpful. If the Bambi II does not have a combined tank, then where would the water go from the shower/sinks? I do not see an outlet to attach a hose to for a blue portable tank (though I do have a blue portable on wheels from my Dad from years ago).

Thanks again. I am learning...

Ben
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy-

Your words on this list are always very helpful. If the Bambi II does not have a combined tank, then where would the water go from the shower/sinks? I do not see an outlet to attach a hose to for a blue portable tank (though I do have a blue portable on wheels from my Dad from years ago).

Thanks again. I am learning...

Ben
The drain water goes into the side of a "collector" that's immediately after the dump valve.

When the sewer hose is hooked up to the trailer, the gray water will drain into the hose. The black water will only drain when you pull the dump valve open.

Leaving the "cap" on the collector, instead of the sewer hose, will make the gray water back up into the plumbing system, and then into a tub or shower, as the case may be.

If you leave the cap on, and open the dump valve, the gray water will go into the black water tank, BUT the black water will go into the gray water lines "AND" into the tub or shower, as well.

Then you have what is called a "MESS", that a dealer will not work on.

So............... "DON'T DO THAT".

Andy
Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
'64 manual...

My confusion comes as I read the 1964 original manual for my trailer which states "The waste water from the sink, the shower, bath, and lavatory all drain through the same outlet as the septic tank so you will only need to make on connection when hooking up in a trailer park."

So how does the gray water get itself to the same outlet without going through the tank?

I grew up in Airstreams...mostly a '72, and it had a gray water tank, so this is new to me.

Thanks! Ben
Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
By going around . . .

Quote:
My confusion comes as I read the 1964 original manual for my trailer which states "The waste water from the sink, the shower, bath, and lavatory all drain through the same outlet as the septic tank so you will only need to make on connection when hooking up in a trailer park."

So how does the gray water get itself to the same outlet without going through the tank? Thanks! Ben
Hi Ben:

The gray water travels around the back tank. The drain pipe from the sink, the bath/shower and the lavatory (bathroom sink) join together and then "Y" into the drain system downstream of the release valve for the black water tank. There is no separate valve for the gray water, so it will just flow from the sinks, etc. into the "Y" and on into your sewer hose to (1) the sewer inlet if you are connected to one at a campground; or (2) into your blue boy tank after you have attached that to your sewer outlet. At least this is how it all works on my 1964 19' Globe Trotter, the next size up from your Bambi II. Hope this helps.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Caution when dumping!!!

With both gray and black water dumping out at the same drain location make sure you put a rubber plug in the shower pans drain when you dump or else black water may backflow into the shower pan. Unfortunately I had to find this out the hard and stinky way.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thanks all!

Your help and good descriptions help me to understand how this all works. Like I said...I grew up Airstreaming, but we always had a gray water tank in the '72. Now I see why they are good to have!

Thanks! Ben
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Ben
The Vintage Airstream Home site under restoration resources has directions for changing your dump valve to one that has a valve for the grey and one for the black. I did this on our 63 Bambi, it works great!
Tim
Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Hi Tim-

Thanks for that link. I looked at it, and it certainly seems like a do-able project. I am wondering specifically what Valterra waste valve system is used? The part numbers are never mentioned in the article, and I can't find one with a black and gray water outlet online yet. I know if is out there, but knowing specific numbers or descriptions would help.

Thanks! Ben
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Ben,
I ordered one from Dyers RV Parts. It's called a Valterra 3" San Tee Wasre Valve Assembly. Current cost is $39. With the two valves the grey water stayes in the
1 1/2 drain pipes until you release it. You can also get a 3" cap with a garden hose fitting on it to empty the grey water into the blue tank, or hook on the stiny slinky.
I used a piece of 1/2 aluminum for the spacer, I think you could use a piece of that white ( polyetheline ? ) that is used for cutting boards instead.
I repaired the cracks in my shower pan with an autobody fiberglass repair kit on the back side. Filled in the surface cracks with body filler and sprayed it with an aerosol epoxy white appliance paint.
Tim
Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Tim-

Thanks for that link. I looked at it, and it certainly seems like a do-able project. I am wondering specifically what Valterra waste valve system is used? The part numbers are never mentioned in the article, and I can't find one with a black and gray water outlet online yet. I know if is out there, but knowing specific numbers or descriptions would help.

Thanks! Ben
All the original valves and collectors were made by Thetford.

There is an updated after market replacement for the collector.

Andy
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker63 View Post
Ben,

I used a piece of 1/2 aluminum for the spacer, I think you could use a piece of that white ( polyetheline ? ) that is used for cutting boards instead.

Tim
Tim- again great information! I am confused as to why you would recommend a plastic spacer? Don't four of the holes need to be tapped for 1/4-20 screws to hold the new valve assembly on? Wouldn't the plastic strip out?

Also- thanks for the info on where to order this as well as how you repaired the cracks in your tub/tank. I have good friends who teach body work- I am sure fiberglassing and repair will not be a major problem! This should go OK...

Ben
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Ben,
Forgot about having to tap the new holes, use the 1/2" aluminum. By the way, if I recall corectly, the aluminum plate needs to be larger than what they said in the directions. Two valves are better than one!
Tim