Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Question 60 Traveler Black Water Tank Openings

We purchased an 1960 18' Traveler, CA manufacture with the Head in rear street side corner. The Traveler was gutted inside by a previous owner, having only the fresh water and black water tanks. We need help identifying the three connections on the top of the black water tank. All connections, including the one on the bottom to dump the tank have been pluggged with screw in or expansion plugs. The smaller conection, about 1 3/4", is the black water tank vent which must elbow to near the wall and go out through the hole in the roof. I am confused by the two large plugged openings on top of the tank since I believe it had a toilet only and no shower; a larger hole, ~4", closest to the back corner of the trailer and a second hole, ~3", farther out. I have attached a picture that may be worth more than my explanation.

I also don't understand why the grey water connection was plumbed to the outlet pipe below the blackwater tank rather than into the tank since it would require grey water to backup into the tank. It may be that there once was a separate grey water outlet but it was removed since a previous owner had the idea of converting the trailer to a makeup room or cabana and connected to land plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Traveler BW.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	27453  

Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Motoman ,Welcome to the forums!

there is only a black tank above the floor as your photo shows ,if it has another tank elsewhere its an add on deal .There should only be the main
toilet opening and the dump valve on the bottom of the tank outside .The
original toilet had a vent from it to the wall up to the roof to the vent opening. the holes in the tank are in strange locations ,as the toilet opening
is in the middle of the tank usually .We have a 60 tradewind ,curbside toilet
ohio trailer ,but the black is like yours in the corner ,and is original .the grey
water drain Y tailpiece drains water right out on the ground or container
under the brass slide valve ,so it cannot get in the black unless the drain
has a cap and the dump valve is open ,not a good idea anyway. In those days ,grey on the ground was fine ,not so today the original
design was the brass dump slide valve with a thread on Y tail piece with
2 hose connections from sinks and bath tub /shower .Safari Tim on another
thread is installing a grey tank in his 60 ambassador ,it is an upgrade as
these trailers had no grey tank until the 70s ,maybe 73 and up .

Scott of scottanlily

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Motoman ,i may be incorrect on the vent pipe on the CA trailer ,it could be in the tank and would be a small opening .the ohio units had it the way i described it .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome Motoman!

Welcome to the forums!

We have a 1963 Bambi with a rear quarter (street side) bath. Our bathroom has a toilet & a small shower... we have just a black water tank that actually sits above the floor. The toilet sits above the black water tank. Other holes are vents or lower for the shower drain. No gray water tank originally. The gray water just runs out on the ground. We did not add one, just use a blue tote. Anyway, my husband's thread has pics of our plumbing. Might have to search awhile, but I will post the link to his thread. Check out post #268 and then #318. Continue to look, he has quite a few pics posted ~ hopefully it will answer some of your questions. Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I think the smaller opening is your vent to the roof. The 3" is for the toilet flange, and the 4" is an inspection or cleanout opening.
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote