Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
59 Tradewind - plumbing overhaul

Greetings Earthlings

Please have a look at the attached photos. You are looking at the exit piping system at the underbelly rear of a 24' 1959 Tradewind from the roadside. Towards the right is the bumper and towards the left is the wheel and single axle. This is what the previous owner left me.

The white stuff is plumbing putty. It is wrapped with electrical tape on either end to create a "seal", and the plumbing putty itself is reinforcing a heavy-duty trash-bag that is serving as the pipe. That's why you see a sag in the "pipe" - it's actually a trash bag.

I removed this atrocity, and happily found the reason for this post (2nd picture). The previous owner apparently wanted to use the "trash-bag pipe method" so badly that he cut a half-moon right through the chassis so he could fit the bath/sink drainage pipe into his system.

I'll spare you my griping about this horrid affair. I just want to know what I should do from here. I want to replace the old 9 gallon black water tank with a 16 gallon tank, but I am now concerned about the structural integrity of the chassis. It still looks strong, but what future happy surprises lurk on the road if I travel with a loaded trailer? Planning to upgrade 20 gallon fresh water tank in front to 32 gallons. Grey water will be ~10 gallon external Blue Boy via umbilical cord when parked.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I headed to the welder? Please help me.

Thanks.

p.s. In case anyone wants to duplicate the "trash-bag pipe method", follow these simple steps
1. throw away all pipes
2. wrap heavy-duty trash bag around two end-caps good and tight now
3. use electrical tape to hold it in place on either end cap
4. slather $200 of plumbing putty all over trash bag - this will provide valuable structure and strength
5. re-electrical tape the end caps so that everything is good and sealed.
6. poop away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	101825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	101826  

Name:	IMG_1618.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	101827  
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tradewinds

Great photos! We had pulled the belly and ALL plumbing out of our 1960 Tradewind. We also had to cut a crossmember for the new tanks and reinforced the remaining frame around the work. Everything is now either PVC or Flexpipe. By pulling out all the cooper we proabaly saved 60 pounds. We also moved the fresh water from the front to under the curbside bund for better weight control.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
chassis capacity

Interesting.

Did you increase the capacity of your holding tanks in the '60 Tradewind? If so, to what?

I've read and been given mixed advice on how much extra water weight the '59 trailer chassis can hold.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
New Tanks

I changed the axle on my 63 GT to 3500#,installed 2 34 gal tanks one behind the axle [black],then put the other one in front of the axle.Had to make pans to cover bottom of tanks,since I never plan on cold camping with it,I see no problem. Reason for the 34`s was they were the cheapest on Ebay. Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ohio sept 09 003.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	101839  
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Deja Vu . . .
Sounds like great fun.

I had a plate welded on the face of my "half moon". I'm assuming that's a "cross member" and not the main, front to back 2x4 Box beam they cut.

What are your plans? Are you leaving the interior layout the same?

BTW, there are tanks out there that will fit between cross members.

Good Luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Restoration plans

What are my plans? That is a big question. It started out so small and easy...

When I purchased this beauty, she was 2 years dormant in Oregon weather after being parked at one trailer pad in California for 9 years. There was a moldy smell so we set about trying to root out the problem. Two weeks later, the innards of the trailer are strewn about my carport and the interior is gutted to the subfloor. The kitchenette remains, as do the wardrobes and the overhead compartments. After removing the vinyl tiles, then the asbestos tiles, the leaky plumbing, caulking the windows and doors, and sanding the tar off the floor (literally), I am confident I removed the odor, the symptom, and the source. She needed a deep clean.

Next I'll try to put everything back in and hope for no leftover parts.

The only change to the original layout will be to change the bunk system into a full size mattress on the curbside. Perhaps we'll alter the dinette so that the original table will drop down between the couch/chairs to form another bed, but not a priority in this round. I don't consider myself a purist, but everytime I remove something that's obviously from the 50s a little piece of me gets sad, so maybe I am.

I'm stymied on the plumbing system. I can't seem to get a consistent answer from anyone regarding the strength of the 59' Tradewind chassis.

Many say you never have enough water, others say you'll rip the chassis in half, and then I found the half-moon cutout in the chassis right below where the black water tank will rest. So I"m not sure how strong MY particular chassis is compared to one with a frame at full-strength.

Short of removing the subfloor, which is in fantastic shape after a good sanding, is there any way to retro-fit a grey water tank or am I resigned to the Blue-Boy and umbilical cord?

How do you weigh your trailer?

Suggestions welcome! Pictures to follow.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
Interesting.

Did you increase the capacity of your holding tanks in the '60 Tradewind? If so, to what?

I've read and been given mixed advice on how much extra water weight the '59 trailer chassis can hold.

Upgradded the axle and put in two 28 galloon tanks. Yes added two new cross members to replace the one I took out along with two rails running front to back. One in front and one behind the axel with the freshwater over the axel under the bunk.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, pipe system, plumbing, repair, black tank