Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
2005 25'SS Tank Sensors

I took the Airstream out for a spin today and put it in St.Andrews State Park for the night to break it in for my trip at the end of the month to the Keys.
Well...I am checking everything and making sure everything on the list is done but I have one problem.My black tank and grey tank sensors stopped working.I have figured out that the telephone wire connector on the black tank is corroded so a little cleaning on that and it should work again.It sits outside so I can see this happening again.The copper connectors started to petina a bit with some residue on it.or is it copper.
Now for the fun.I can get to the fresh water tank sensor inside the Airstream but that one is ok.
How would I get to the grey tank sensor.Is it pretty much stuck in there in the black boxs under the camper?Would I be able to cut a hole on the side of it to get my hand in there to reach the sensor easier.I could also build a little door for access to make things better.I am thinking there is a possibility that it could be corroded also or is there something else I have missed and need to check.
Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
...Would I be able to cut a hole on the side of it to get my hand in there to reach the sensor easier.I could also build a little door for access to make things better...
hi devoman...

that's exactly what the factory service tech did on my unit...

he cut a rectangular port on the belly pan BOTTOM for each sensor,

then covered them with alum plates n screws.

it makes changing the sensors and cleaning the plugs MUCH easier.

so u might contact tech and get the exact location for the opening.

also, there is a rubber/silicone boot available that fits OVER the rj-11 plug/outlet...

it's not a great seal, but using that and some contact spray may reduce the crud significantly...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ironically, when I upgraded to a 3 stage charging unit, I found a few "telephone" type cables on the street side...a few tugs on the cable and everything started working great again.

Sensor was fine, I suspect a loose connection after tugging on the cables....of course I expect they'll fail again, and I'm not up for yanking the converter/charger to fix it again.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Sensors

I finally got them to start working tonight.I cleaned the male and female connectors really good.(The black tank was very dirty and It seems to be working fine now.The grey water tank started to work after I filled it up with a lot of water.It took a little while to do but as long as it is working I am happy.I guess this is another yearly to do job on the list now.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
silicon dielectric keeps connections

Devoman,
You might try putting very thin coat of silicon dielectric grease on the wire connectors before sliding or crimping together. It inhibits oxidation/corrosion of the electrical joint and helps keep the juice flowing. I started using it on all the exterior lamp bases (clearance, porch, license especially) which would show corrosion and sometimes have poor connection. Now I use it on all wire joints except soldered. It's so easy and it's worth it.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Grease

I was thinking about that since the connector is outside near the dump valves.It would be nice to put something in there so it wont corrode as bad as it did.Could I just go to any lowes or home depot to get this stuff.I would only need just a tiny bit of it.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Very readily available also at places like Ace Hardware, NAPA, etc. I might even have seen it at Wahl-Mart.

I too have started using it on all electrical connections, especially exterior lights. I also use it on the rubber gaskets around lights to reduce to likelihood of water intrusion and to keep parts from "welding" together.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote