Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
2004 25’ classic black water flush

Hello,

I bought the above about 3 weeks ago. Dealer said black water flush leaked.

I couldn’t find the connection at first, but then discovered it behind a small light they added in the compartment. It seems to be missing an adapter. I would like to replace the adapter and see if it actually has a problem. Any ideas what the factory adapter looks like or part number. I have consulted the manual and can’t find this item. small connection to convert to water hose that goes through the original hole in the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6348B60-49FE-442E-830C-1FA37B6344E2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	356934   Click image for larger version

Name:	0236ED19-C458-4AFB-9C7D-93484B046853.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	356935  

Planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Planenut,

I have a 2007. I think I can send pics of what mine has and fitting type but only via email or text. Can’t post here.

Greeting from Darlington county btw.

Send pm if interested.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Planenut,

I have a 2007. I think I can send pics of what mine has and fitting type but only via email or text. Can’t post here.

Greeting from Darlington county btw.

Send pm if interested.

Gary
Ordered this, hopefully it will work and then I can check on leak status.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
It gets better, NOT....

Installed the new connection and got my flashlight ready. No leak at valve or under sink at air gap connection. But, water poured out between belly pan at drain... nothing appeared to go in tank...

What am I looking at? New black tank or do you think it is disconnected and can be fixed?

A Job I can handle or is this a take it to the local airstream dealer 100 miles away.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you look at the bottom side of the cover that surrounds the black tank there may be an access hole with a metal cover. If it is there, look inside to see the black tank flush pipes where it is connected to the No-Fuss-Flush that is mounted on the side of the black tank.
If there is no access, you might have to drop the tank cover to get at the pipes. If you do this make sure the tanks are completely empty or it will fall down.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Look at pages F7 and F8 in the owners manual.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-106.pdf

The light should be over by the sewer connection.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I wonder if the line that feeds the black tank froze and split at some time.

Is there more history to this situation ?

That connection supplies the black tank flush line only. No connection to trailer fresh water supply.

I just used mine today to put a base water supply in tank prior to use. All you hear is a dishwasher kinda sound.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Looks like the pictures on the plumbing pages except mine are reverse image...

Unfortunately, work will keep me from getting back to it for a few days.

Any idea how the flush connects? Through the side or top etc. black tank was approximately 3/4 full and no leaks or odors... so at least all my other plumbing seems ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57F3AFA9-A9A5-4AF0-8552-F9F3789DE00C.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	357424   Click image for larger version

Name:	F771B936-45D5-4792-8ED6-8A9ADCD8EAFB.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	357425  

Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planenut View Post

Any idea how the flush connects? Through the side or top etc. black tank was approximately 3/4 full and no leaks or odors... so at least all my other plumbing seems ok.
In my prior post I might have been wrong when I assumed the location of the pipe and connections to the tank flush is within that tank cover in your trailer. I am not familiar with your trailer and my assumption was based on my Excella. Though my 25' the tank is above floor. Is your black tank above floor, inside a box right under the toilet, or below the floor within the trailer frame and inside the tank cover?

In either case the No-Fuss-Flush is installed through a hole that was drilled into the tank, fastened with screws into the tank and sealed with caulk. The exposed end of the NFF has a connector that received the water a pipe. If you purchase a NFF kit, it will have a hose adapter that is not used in the Airstream.

ps:
Every install that I have seen in an Airstream the NFF is installed as high as possible on the side of the tank, and near/above the sewer outlet. The NFF has a rounded flange, except it has one flat edge. That flat edge is aligned with the top of the tank. If you search YouTube there are install videos.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
On my 2002 the pipe you pictured runs through the wall and up through the floor into the area under the bathroom sink. There is a vacuum breaker valve there and then the pipe continues back down through the floor and into the side of the black tank where it terminates in a PVC fitting like a small shower head. All the little holes were stopped up from lack of use. I pulled it, cleaned it, and put it back in but the flush still didn't work. I guess the vacuum breaker valve is malfunctioning.

After I cleaned the spray head I started noticing a black tank smell when I ran the vent fans in the trailer. The way it works it can vent odors into the area under the sink. The vents apparently pull a vacuum on the inside of the trailer and some of the replacement air comes into the black tank vent on the roof, down through the tank and out through the vacuum breaker. Someone on here reported that they replaced the vacuum breaker with an elbow fitting and put another vacuum breaker on the fitting where you connect the hose and that fixed their odor problem. I think I will try that.

Here is a picture showing the dump valves and the tank flush PEX tubing to the tank (circled in red) with the tank pan removed.

Name:	InkedIMG_1468_LI.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	971.8 KB
ID:	357436

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Billy,

Black tank contents are not leaking out, no smell?

I’m betting w/o proof that the line connecting to the black tank flush head is split leaking etc.

As a temporary work around to flush tank consider a Flush King. I’ve used one for several years until a few months ago.

The Flush King attaches to discharge and hose attaches to it. It has a hose connection with valve for attaching hose to supply rinse flush. Gate valve allows draining and flushing.

Thus allows draining and rinsing and resets the calendar for repairs.

No proof of split line theory just a possible.

Gary
Old 12-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Black tank seems fine at 3/4 full and drained ok. No smell. I agree with probably split or disconnected.

If I remove the pan, what is holding the tanks up? I think (Inexperience talking) I would rather not cut a hole in the pan and then make a cover.

I would also like to overhaul the drain valves while I’m in there as at least the black tank had leaked and it dropped about a gallon when I removed the cover but before connecting sewer pipe. Will I have to cut and replace pipes or is there a procedure to unbolt or unclamp them?

I love learning how things work (sewer not so much maybe). Ha

Quote:
Billy,

Black tank contents are not leaking out, no smell?

I’m betting w/o proof that the line connecting to the black tank flush head is split leaking etc.

As a temporary work around to flush tank consider a Flush King. I’ve used one for several years until a few months ago.

The Flush King attaches to discharge and hose attaches to it. It has a hose connection with valve for attaching hose to supply rinse flush. Gate valve allows draining and flushing.

Thus allows draining and rinsing and resets the calendar for repairs.

No proof of split line theory just a possible.

Gary
Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Billy

Haven’t been there hope never too but I think you’ll find that the pan cover is only that. A cover that also holds insulation against tank and some protection.

I found this video that shows good views of similar system just for reference.

I just looked at my rig and found same air check under my bath sink.

Question might also be is the leak before or after air check?

A flashlight mirror and cell phone could be good diagnostic tools. I was able to take pics of what is visible.

Gary
Old 12-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Thanks Gary,

I’ve seen my air valve and no leaks but mine is white like to pipe and not clear so I’m not sure if leak is before or after. I will look into that when I have more time too.

After this chore, on to brakes and wheel bearings...
Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planenut View Post
Black tank seems fine at 3/4 full and drained ok. No smell. I agree with probably split or disconnected.

If I remove the pan, what is holding the tanks up? I think (Inexperience talking) I would rather not cut a hole in the pan and then make a cover.

I would also like to overhaul the drain valves while I’m in there as at least the black tank had leaked and it dropped about a gallon when I removed the cover but before connecting sewer pipe. Will I have to cut and replace pipes or is there a procedure to unbolt or unclamp them?

I love learning how things work (sewer not so much maybe). Ha
Dropping the pan can be easy and can be hard. On my trailer the pan was installed before the axles. The pan flanges were trapped between the frame and axle flanges in a couple of places. IF yours aren't it's not that hard but there are still issues.

On my trailer there were scrap pieces of styrofoam insulation between the tank and the pan and the tank and the frame. When I dropped the pan, they all fell out. No chance to put them back where they were. I bought some sheet styrofoam and cut it to fit. I thought I was being careful by measuring the distance from the pan flange to the frame when the pan just contacted the tank and using that as the thickness for the insulation, but the tank is not uniform. I ended up taking out insulation in spots until the pan went back in place.

The tanks on my trailer were held in place only by the plumbing. You must dump them before pulling the pan. They are still pretty heavy. I used a jack to lower the pan and the tanks and then jacked the tanks back up with some wood support to spread the load. That held them in place whil I worked on everything.

My dump valve plumbing came out as an assembly. the valves were bolted to the tanks. I had to disconnect the handle extensions as well.

Here are a couple of posts on dump valve replacement. There are many more on this and the black tank flush.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...is-181261.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...es-162941.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...nt-196896.html

Good Luck.

Al
Old 12-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Planenut,
Before tearing into anything make sure where the black tank is.

I have been searching for photos of a 2004 25' Classic's toilet, but have not found one. However, I did find a photo of a newer 25' Classic's toilet.
Is this toilet the same location as what you have, and are the flush pipes in the same location?

This photo is of a short profile toilet setting on a box. If it is like this the black tank is inside that box above the floor just below the toilet, not below the floor. That means the tank flush will be just below that corner cabinet, maybe accessible where the pipes are shown in the photo. Look with a mirror and flashlight.

If your toilet is a tall profile, sets on the floor not on a box, then the black tank is below floor level and you will need to drop the pan cover to access the flush.

ps:
Notice that those who are giving advice have a longer trailer than you do. Longer trailers do have tanks below floor because space is not as limited.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 25' classic (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	357478  
Old 12-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Hanahan , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Planenut,
Before tearing into anything make sure where the black tank is.

I have been searching for photos of a 2004 25' Classic's toilet, but have not found one. However, I did find a photo of a newer 25' Classic's toilet.
Is this toilet the same location as what you have, and are the flush pipes in the same location?

This photo is of a short profile toilet setting on a box. If it is like this the black tank is inside that box above the floor just below the toilet, not below the floor. That means the tank flush will be just below that corner cabinet, maybe accessible where the pipes are shown in the photo. Look with a mirror and flashlight.

If your toilet is a tall profile, sets on the floor not on a box, then the black tank is below floor level and you will need to drop the pan cover to access the flush.

ps:
Notice that those who are giving advice have a longer trailer than you do. Longer trailers do have tanks below floor because space is not as limited.
Mine is exactly like that! Flying all this week and probably too much going on until about the 20th. But I will certainly look into that. Could be a huge time saver.

Pic taken while I was overhauling the Thetford toilet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F45C654D-D86D-46E7-9C45-0E8700D5D4D1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	357506  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Learned two things on this thread so far.

1. Toilet on tank. Never seen that before.

2. Details to follow after I fix my new problem but this thread prodded me to look closer at my no fuss rinse system and I found an installation error courtesy of Airstream.

I’ll turn the cards over after it’s fixed.

Gary
Old 12-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:

2. Details to follow after I fix my new problem but this thread prodded me to look closer at my no fuss rinse system and I found an installation error courtesy of Airstream.

I’ll turn the cards over after it’s fixed.

Gary
Inquiring minds want to know. I cleaned my spray head but still no water flow.

Al
Old 12-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Al,

Can you see the vacuum breaker? Is it clear plastic or white?

If you can find it mine is under lav sink. If clear plastic and can see it have helper turn water for no fuss rinse on and watch for flow. Mines clear and the water is visible as flow starts. I have a video that shows water flowing and vacuum breaker working.

If white no see um style like above pic shows might be east to remove and see if it’s ok.

Still haven’t turned my cards over that’s gonna require pex 101 for me. Should be easier than wiring for 50A. [emoji67]*[emoji373]

Gary