Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1971 18' Caravel
Athens , Georgia
1971 - can't find dump valve replacement

Hi all and thanks in advance. We're new Airstreamers and have a 71 Caravel rear bath that needs a new dump valve for our Thetford system's 2 1/2" Y pipe. As best we can tell, neither Thetford nor Airstream sells this part or an adapter. We tried Valterra, Inland RV, etc, and Sonny Hane in Birmingham is currently unavailable. We considered upgrading to a new Y pipe and using a modern valve, but the Y pipe has ancient glue and I'm not sure I can get it off without snapping the grey water drain fitting. Plus its really tight in there and there isn't much room for improvisation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we can find a replacement dump valve for the original 1971 Y pipe? Has anyone had any luck replacing the Y pipe with one compatible with modern dump valves? Thanks all, Holly and Christopher

Holly and Christopher
Betty3117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Does your 71 have grey tank? If not, it may be similar to my 68. I purchased a valve and Y fitting from Inland, so I don't know why they don't have them. Did you call and speak with Andy or just check the internet? I spoke with the guy out there who actually makes the fittings. He explained how he has to cut several fittings and a Thedford fitting to make the Y pipe and then glue it all together. He said he only makes a few at a time so maybe they just did not have one in stock.
As for replacement, I know on mine, there would have been no way to get the old one out without cutting the grey line. If you do, cut it in a place where you can install a coupler to put the pipes back together.

Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Surely someone at Inland RV can help if you speak to a tech as previously suggested. Failing at that, you might want to contact a tech over in N.C. at Out Of Doors Mart near Greensboro. Google ODM for contact information and good luck.
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote

1971, dump valve, plumbing, waste