Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Orlando , Florida
Exclamation 1971 Airstream leaking blue liquid from black tank

I know this may sound stupid to ask, but I have camped in my 1971 Airstream at least 4 times now and have not had any issues with dumping the black tank and my level guage also worked.

Anyway, I recently camped and a I kept checking the gauage and nothing registered, so I thought I was ok.

I go to leave to dump on the 6th day, and noticed a faint blue dye on the ground. I looked under my rig and noticed blue leaking from the underbelly in a crack. There was no feces, or "nastyness" about it, but it did smell.

I dumped and it definately was full, so therfore my level sensor must not be working now.

So my question is on what advice can I get out there on this.

I know something is leaking, but it the tank was completely leaking, why was there not any feces or something similar instead of the dark blue/royal blue that you can truly tell was from the tablets you drop?

Should I go camp one more time and dump it every other day and see if it happens again, or whould I take it in for repairs??

Please please help....
svachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Blue leak

I am thinking your tank was 105% full and the connections from the top of the tank to the bottom of the floor was not made for holding liquids. It sounds like it was just overfull and you should be o.k. as long as you empty more often.

Tharon
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Gloucester , North Carolina
Could be a leaky gate valve. Had the same problem.
Daystreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Before you head out camping next time, dump about a gallon or two of water into black tank via toilet. Also dump about a 5lb bag of ice in there as well. Once you've arrived, go ahead and dump black tank. Check to see if your tank level gauge is registering at this point. If not, before leaving, dump black tank again, 1 or 2 gallons of water, and ice for the trip home. Inexpensive way to cleaning tank.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank