Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia
1968 Caravel Black Water Tank won't dump

Please help! We are camping and sewer odors are coming into the trailer.Release handle is working but nothing is going down into the sewer line.Leaking from belly pan out onto the ground.Camping neighbors trailer. Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Hard to diagnose for sure from afar, but highly likely that built up "stuff" in black tank has blocked opening.. If it sat for a while other than totally empty and rinsed, that can happen.. Can also happen if you've ben parked in a campsite for a few days.. Black tanks really work better after a nice bouncy drive, maybe with a trayload of ice cubes tossed in on top of chemicals..

That said, first option is to try and get hose with nozzle inside bath and spray into toilet in direction of valve while valve open. Some newer larger trailers have external hose connection for such a sprayer, but they can be a hazard as well..

I know people who have been unsuccessful clearing blockage with hose/water spray who have bent wire coat hangar and used it through open valve to clear blockage as well.. VERY difficult to do that without also getting somewhat dirty and smelly, but it could be a lot of buildup and be necessary...

If it is really leaking from belly pan, then you may well have a cracked pipe or failed valve body, which will be difficult to fix quickly and cleanly from a campsite.. (Sorry..) Ours failed and would no longer seal completely and some models have valve a long way and a 90 degree bend from outlet/cap...

Not sure if you have separate black/gray tanks, but if not, be sure all of the sink/shower drains are plugged securely as well...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia
He is going in with a coat hanger (actually a metal hot dog stick we found on our campsite non returnable-ha!) suggested he wear a rain parka, plastic gloves, and offered a facemask with perfume! Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
What happened?! What happened??!! Inquiring minds need to know!

(Hope the scented face mask worked. Wheeeuu)

Richard and Vivian
Caliban The Wonder Dog: gone but not forgotten
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Cerritos , California
The same thing happened to me this weekend. To find out I did not open the dump valve outside. Once I opened it problem solved. This age-thing is creeping up o me
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia
Added a metal coat hanger to the metal hotdog roasting stick and still couldn't find the clog. Eventually the fluids leaked to a low enough level, so it stopped. All the drains were shut, so nothing backed up inside. My husband even climbed a ladder and looked down the vent tube to see if nastiness had tried to escape through there, but it was clear. Thankfully the weather was nice, so the neighbor was able to enjoy the fresh air outside and all the Rally meals provided at a different location. His wife left, but returned when things aired out! If I find out the actual cause and solution, I will let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0026.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	184041  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Full Time Alumaloafer
1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Sounds similar to a problem I was having with my '66. The toilet paper we were using was NOT septic or rv safe. Once the tank filled enough, toilet paper was clogging the black tank vent, which resulted in very slow tank drainage once the valve was opened. In addition, the toilet "burped" when trying to flush things. Not at all pleasant.

I was able to free things up using a combination of the coat hangar method and flushing the vent from the roof with a stream of water from a hose. Lesson learned!
Lou Axt, Jr.
1966 Tradewind
1969 Chevy C10

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master
I would make sure the trailer is level. I was at a rally one time were a couple were complaining about the samething on a small trailer. They had the trailer so out of level nothing would drain. Once someone showed them how to "correctly" level the trailer, the stuff came out just fine.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote

1968, caravel