Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
1966 Sovereign waste tanks

Hi, I'm new to the forum and i just bought a 66 Sovereign. I am going to start working the rear of the trailer and redo the bathroom. I think I need to replace the flooring and while doing that i should put in new waste tanks. I have done some reading on the forum and there does not seem to be a comprehensive overview of this project. Are there any diagrams available? I am a little confused about size needs and daisy-chaining two tanks together. I have no toilet now but I think any set up i do I should mount the toilet on top of the tank and plumb directly to it. I assume all the tanks need to vented up through the roof. Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Brian Welcome to the forums. The first thing you should do is buy aservice manual. They are available sometimes on e-bay. It will be an invaluable resource to you.
If you are talking about replacing the sub-floor you should be aware that the shell of the trailer sits on top of the floor and to access the bolts holding the shell to the frame you must remove the inner lower walls.
When searching the forums use the google search it will provide better results. Try floor replacement,bathroom renovations,waste tank installations etc.
Your 66 only has a black tank for the toilet and no gray tank for the sink and shower water. The black tank has a valve to drain the tank and the grey water just empties out the waste outlet. Look in the rear trunk area for the waste outlet and the black tank dump valve. Your trailer would have originally had a toilet and a black tank. Is there no toilet flange on the floor?
Yes the toilet is connected to the black tank by the toilet flange and sits directly on top of the tank and all tanks must be vented up through the roof using 1 1/2" pipe.
Adding a grey tank will be a good idea. Both tanks will have dump valves and will be connected together aftre the valves and go to the waste outlet.
My trailer had both tanks so i did not need to do this modification. Some one else who has done this will chime in and offer direction. I'll offer help if I can.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian here is alink for a grey tank.
Gray Water Tank
and a link for a black tank
http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=58
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
I have done a lot of searching about this and sometimes it easier to just ask. I am putting up a picture of the area. I think I will gut the bathroom because I am running pex throughout. My trailer came with the original owners manual but I am thinking that is different from the service manual. I thought about cutting the bench part out and just put in a toilet but it might make things difficult to get in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airs-88.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	116650   Click image for larger version

Name:	airs-100.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	116651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airs-101.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	116652  
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
M.i.a.

Brian, The black tank goes under the bench and up to the ring you see on the underside of the bench. It sits in the opening you pictured, It appears that the tank and perhaps the plumbing to the dump valve and waste valve have been removed. As far as the tank goes InlandRV.com and VintageTrailerSupply.com will both be able to provide valuable info and tanks. Call and speak to Andy R. (Inland) or Steve H. (VTS). Happy Trails, Ed

P.S. Your Black Tank is mounted above the floor.
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Brian,
I am sure you understand that everything must be removed from the bath area and the lower inner wall panels too. These have to be removed to gain access to the bolts in the C-channel that hold everything together. Here is link on the restoration of a 67 Overlander, 1967 Airstream Overlander The layout of the baths is not the same but fixing the floor will be done much the same way.
As far as black tank replacement, Andy should have an exact replacement. Using a factory type tank will will save you a lot of time which brings me to my final comment. Don't underestimate the time it will take to do the work. I found that everything I did usually took about 3 times longer than I had planned. I replace the complete rear floor in my Trade Wind so I have been there, done that.
Good luck with your project and have a good holiday season.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

Welcome to the forums,

Your bathroom configuration was available for only 3 model years, 64-66.

It has been problematic for owners to repair since there are no parts are available for the original porcelain toilet.

Most owners add a plastic Thetford toilet in the hole and connect it to the black tank under the floor with a floor flange. The fiberglass area around the lid has to be trimmed for a good fit.

A number of owners have done the exact same repair as you are beginning.

Good luck.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Silverwanabe

That is the way I thought about doing it, trim the fiberglass to make it look built in. I realize it is going to be tough. I did think of cutting the bench out and rebuilding the edge. I was someone else had done it but I have not worked in fiberglass before. A first time for everything.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianv512 View Post
I have done a lot of searching about this and sometimes it easier to just ask. I am putting up a picture of the area. I think I will gut the bathroom because I am running pex throughout. My trailer came with the original owners manual but I am thinking that is different from the service manual. I thought about cutting the bench part out and just put in a toilet but it might make things difficult to get in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Brian, The black tank goes under the bench and up to the ring you see on the underside of the bench. It sits in the opening you pictured, It appears that the tank and perhaps the plumbing to the dump valve and waste valve have been removed. As far as the tank goes InlandRV.com and VintageTrailerSupply.com will both be able to provide valuable info and tanks. Call and speak to Andy R. (Inland) or Steve H. (VTS). Happy Trails, Ed

P.S. Your Black Tank is mounted above the floor.
Incorrect, as the past owner of a 1966 Overlander, I can confirm that the black tank is below the floor on '64-'66 models with this bathroom setup. The only thing missing in that photo is the toilet, a "Swirl-O-Matic", if I remember correctly. The black tank appears to still be there in the above photos with the inlet plugged with a red stopper on the floor, although the floor appears to be sagging in that area. You can even see the vent pipe for the Black tank is still present on the streetside/left. BTW, the black tank outlet is inside the rear bumper compartment (not shown in any of the photos above) and the dump valve handle can be seen inside the rear storage compartment in two of the photos. It's all there, but is it still usable or is it cracked, that is the question.

Plumbing in a gray tank will be difficult if you want to retain the existing black tank. Some have talked about converting the black tank to a gray tank and adding an above floor black tank and new "shorty" toilet above, but I do not know if anyone has actually done so. That black tank is relatively small - maybe 10-15 gallons, but I could never find it's size recorded anywhere. You might have to test it a gallon at a time to confirm the size. It may also be possible to add a gray tank between the frame rails ahead of the black tank, but plumbing both tanks to a single outlet might be difficult if the existing black tank is retained, because of the current outlet location. If you want to put in two new tanks, a better solution can probably be found.

As for the toilet, the pot metal riser on these years (1964-66) were known to disintegrate and apparently no new toilets are exactly the correct height. Finding a salvage replacement will be very difficult, should you even care to rebuild an old toilet. If you look at every bathroom photo you can find for 1964 through 1966 Airstreams over 20' in length (check Vintage Airstream Photo Archives among other places), you will see many ways that people have replaced the toilet with a newer model. Some cut out the bench entirely and install a normal RV toilet on top of the floor, but they then have to close off the sides to the tub, access door, and closet cabinet somehow. Others cut a hole in the bench just big enough for a slightly taller toilet to poke through and inch or two higher. Take your time, look at all available photos and make an educated decision because once you cut the fiberglass bench/surround, it will be hard to go back. BTW, I have heard that to remove the surround in one peice, you need to remove everything forward of it (kitchen, bedroom, closets, etc.), although I have not done that so I cannot confirm the validity of that statement.

Congrats on the new trailer! We wish we had our '66 Overlander back!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
I have been thinking of moving the toilet to the curbside closet and use a above floor tank like you describe. I would then have a gray tank put in in between the frame rails. That way the outlet for the black tank can come straight down and meet the gray tank outlet. I might then take out just the sink and build a cabinet with a counter for a sink over the area the old toilet was. Still working things out in my head and need to take some measurements. Thanks for the input.

Tags
1966, 1966 sovereign, sovereign