Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #1

1963 26' Overlander
mount morris , Michigan
1963 overlander - adding grey tank?

going add a Grey tank. wondering where to put it and what size. also my black tank has a valve with the Grey water just running out beneath it what would the new valve be, is it larger i would like to keep the old black tank still in great shape. all advice would be helpful thanks Tim
bugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Welcome to the Forums

Hi Tim,

I just recently purchased a 1963 Overlander as well, welcome to the Club!

I'm a newbie to this and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. But I can tell you that gray tank additions are not uncommon and there is a lot of information on this forum. If you go to the top of your screen and click on the Search menu option, you can then use the "Google Search" and I would enter something like "gray tank" or "add gray tank" and see what information you come up with.

Also, I suspect other members will be along shortly to welcome you and help out.

Please post a thread on your progress, with a lot of pictures, since I plan to do the same thing within the next 6 months or so.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You might check with Uwe at Area63 Productions, as he put a really nice sized gray tank in his beautifully restored 63 Overlander

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'm looking to do this on my '68 also.. But I want to also switch the back tank so the valves come out the side instead of the back...
I want to have the grey tank come out the same valve as the black on the side. So I figure I will have to find a new black tank with the drain on the other side.... Heading back toward the front of the trailer.. Any way to tie the shower into the grey tank I figure it will have to be mounted under the floor and as close to the axles as I can get it .

don't want to much weight in the back.... Also looking at putting a bigger water tank in the front... have 30 gal but might move up to 40 -50 gal... So my black tank is a 15 or 20 gal right now... thats fine but I would think I would want a 30 gal grey tank... Just trying to find the right dimension for them. the water tank is under the front coach and a lot of the tanks I have seen are to tall...
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can plumb in a small-ish grey tank between the axles, and it's not difficult to mount an elbow so the black tank drain is on the side. You would just need to support the pipes. I would not recommend adding a grey tank behind the axles, as this would stress the frame.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #6

1963 26' Overlander
mount morris , Michigan
Hi, everyone thanks for your input so far this helps me out a lot. i was going to put it in the back where the black tank is, so glad i found this site before i did so. i feel that i can do this with a little more confidence at least. i will document my progress as i go with some pics as well, you will have to give me some time tho i have to work as well. thanks again Tim
Old 08-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #7

1963 26' Overlander
mount morris , Michigan
hi, worked on it some today. i took out the bathroom cabinet, and discovered some wood that needs to be replaced. i also decided i mite as well replace the black tank as well. any one have any i deal where to purchase this tank would like to have the same one. or any i deal on how to get a rusty valve off the old one, I've tried every thing from drilling it out "with a broken drill bit in there now" haven't applied heat was afraid i would ruin the fiberglass. any suggestions frustrated overlander owner
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can cut the heads of the bolts off with a Dremel tool equipped with a cutoff wheel. I went down this very road a few years ago.
Inland RV has replacement tanks for the black tank, but it is not an exact fit.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Belmont , New York
Unhappy

On the subject of adding tanks: we own a 1958 Overlander that NEVER has had graywater tanks and came to us with NO blackwater tank, either. We'd like to put in both, but we cannot figure out how to pipe the darn things.

If you put the tank mid-frame, there are all these pesky solid beams in the way. If you have the tank opening dropped down, you have this bellypan there. I'm not about to run 3" pipe above the floor...

I don't even see where the blackwater tank was accessed to dump. Where do the valves come out to be accessed for dumping?!?! I don't get it.

We actually have been thinking about cutting holes in the frame and welding a bit of steel pipe in the holes and run the pipe through them, but we are afraid of compromising the frame's integrity and having it break.

Still, I know some welding is STRONGER than the steel around it. And how much flex is built into the frame...would a welded bit be stiffer than the surrounds and break at the welded point?!?!?

Aaaaaargh!!!!

I don't want to have totes. There has GOT to be a way to do this.

I'll admit, I want someone to give us pictures and drawings and ideas. We can do the work. I'm just gobsnobbered at this point and ready to snatch my hair out.
atmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi atmouse,

It's possible that your '58 did not ever have a black tank. Some of the vintage Airstream experts can provide better information I'm sure, but I think that into the late 50s, there were still some "Park" models available where the toilet simply dumped straight out-- either to a sewer hose, or straight to the ground into a "gopher hole." I don't think that particular set-up is legal in most parks these days, but times were different 50 years ago.

Anyway, I am certain that there are ways to add black and gray tanks to your Overlander. Many vintage Airstreams have black tanks that sit on top of the floor, and then a low-profile toilet sits on top of that. My '63 is like that. The dump valve comes out to the side of the unit on the curbside, right below the tank (obviously, holes are cut through the floor for the exit piping).

My unit does not have a gray tank, but I intend to add one, below the floor, and between the frame members. Several others have done this on this Forum, it's actually a fairly common upgrade for vintage units. If you look at Uwe's "63 For Me" thread he has information on how he managed this. It's a long thread, but well worth the read:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ler-11687.html

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmouse View Post
I don't want to have totes. There has GOT to be a way to do this.

I'll admit, I want someone to give us pictures and drawings and ideas. We can do the work. I'm just gobsnobbered at this point and ready to snatch my hair out.
Try these...

Our tank diagrams, resources & costs
'56 retro-fit black & gray tanks

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I put in a 30 gallon tank just behind the axles. I did need to create a way to restrain it, but did not need to change the frame at all. You can see pictures here Anna Lumanum: January 2008 they are on the posting for Jan 14. My tank does hang below the belly by a few inches, and it has no connection to the black tank valve. On the end of the tank I put a 3" valve and when I dump the tank it takes a few seconds to empty. This tank was a stock item from PPL Motorhomes in Texas. I ordered it and two days later it was here.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander