Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
04 28 safari 70 gallon combined black and gray tank

I guess we own a unique bird, 04 28 safari with combination tanks. I have owned over 5 rvs before, so this took some getting used to. Any of you history buffs know what was the reason for the change? I find for my kind of travel, I can let it fill and fully flush, so it work great for us. It must not be popular however as no new unit offers it. Just intrested in comments.

safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's a new one on me. I thought that the 16' Bambi was the only Airstream with a black/gray combo tank in recent years.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
well its good to see they offer it on other models. This is over 70 gallons combined. I crawled under the coach and the tank is huge. It always fully drains and cleans so I wonder why it was only our model? I wan not sure about it at first but it works great.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There were seperate tanks on the 28 and then one year, they built it with a combined tank and there was such a firestorm of folks upset with that, I believe the switched it back to seperate tanks. I am not sure on the actual year they did it, but it was fairly recent in terms of model years. Currently I believe these to be now two seperate tanks.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Our 2007 27FB Safari has separate tanks but I sure wish they were combined. With 2 teenage daughters we always fill the gray tank long before the black tank. It sure would be handy to move some of the gray water to the black tank. I wonder if a retrofit is possible.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
. , .
hi '28...

fair number of threads on this issue of the combo holding tank.

here are just a few....

i would NOT want that set up but i'm sure it works for some...

no sneaky dumping while boondocking please!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I admit with previous rvs I was guilty as charged fo dumping grey if I could get away with it. Our travel is usually into a park, and just last night getting in late my 70 gallon combo tank was empty, we had 2 showers at night, 2 more in the morning, misc use and i checked the level and less than half full. I never messed with the dump. I can tell you when I do empty it is a flood and the tank always seems clean. The tank is mounted just aft of the rear axle, and when boondocking it is really nice, I find little change in the unit sway when it is say half full.

I understand why some would not like it, but airstream should have it as an option for those that want large capacity combination tanks and willing to never, I mean never be what I used to be. A ghost gray water dumper. That being said, this is a good idea that needs to be explored.