Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Would like to remove the GE water filter below the kitchen sink

Our 2012 International Serenity 27FB has a GE water filter installed inline on the cold water line supplying the Galley sink. The problem is that with the water filter installed on the cold side the faucet produces only hot water unless the handle is all the way cold. Then the water is only a trickle on the cold side. I realize the problem may be that the filter is very clogged. Is this something I can change myself? We've only been using the trailer since 8/15; I don't know if the previous owner ever changed the filter.

What I would really like to do is have the filter removed, since I don't really see the point of it being plumbed to the cold side only. I think an inline 5 micron filter installed at the city water supply would be the better option. Your thoughts?
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
At the city supply you would not be filtering crud from your on board tank, if in use. Most of us filter water going into the tank, but I think the design of filtering cold water at the sink makes a lot of sense. A clean filter does not restrict flow very much. I change mine every other year.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Sounds like you simply need to change the filter itself. They only have a life of about a season. My 2014 FC 20 came with a factory supplied short piece of Pex with the correct fittings so the filter could be eliminated.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Our 12 Classic has a Moen filter I believe. It's supposed to have a light that comes on at the base of the filtered water faucet when the filter needs changed. I have a spare but haven't changed it yet. The spare I purchased from the dealer and it came with a new battery for the light. I don't know if it is the same set up as yours but it is the same that was in our 2010 FC.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I just bought an AS 27 FB, which came with an undersink filter & about a foot-long replacement tube for it. The AS dealer in the walk-through said that AS routinely includes both, but that the dealership recommends substituting the replacement tube for the filter. It took me around 15 minutes to remove & replace, and yes, I use a separate filter between the exterior hose & the water inlet on the AS.
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

The tube is intended to replace the filter before winterizing. Because, you don't want to push antifreeze through the filter and ruin it if it still had life. Then, store the filter where it won't freeze. In the spring, you flush the lines, then reinstall the filter.

I agree with idroba; you just need a new filter.
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Thanks all, I will change the filter and hopefully that will resolve the problem.
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote