Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wireless water pump?

my 85 has two water pump switches; one in the bath, the other on the trlr front control panel. Both switches are single pole, single throw-meaning both switches have to be off for the water pump to be off; either of them will turn the pump on, but once on, the same switch has to be toggled to return the pump to "off." Now, the bath switch is handy, the front switch isn't. There should be a switch near the galley sink. AND, the two switches (or more if you have them) should be 2 way, 3 wire switches, allowing you to turn the pump on or off regardless of which switch you are using (like your kitchen lights-two switches; same function). Now, if I were into a total remodel, changing this would not be any problem. but, to change it without wiring changes is a little too much work for the convienience. (Boy, that is a funny looking word) So, I am thinking of installing a simple remote transmitter/receiver type of control if such exists. then I could turn the pump on/off no matter what control switch I was using. Does anyone know of such a devise? there are fairly simple on/off gizmos to use for 120VAC lights, like Christmas lights, but I do not know of any 12v or battery powered switches.
thanks in advance.
bill

Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just a question - are you sure both of your switches are single-pole-singe-throw types? Our older 78 ambassador also has two switches, but they are double-pole-single-throw type that of course, allow switching on or off from either switch regardless of switch position, as it should be...like hallway lights at home...

Do you think a PO has rewired your switches, and that maybe they bypassed one of the wires for some reason???

Your situation is rather odd, as I can't vision AS building it that way from the factory???

Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
Sure. I use one to turn on my macerator pump, which is the same amperage as a water pump.

You will need to install a 20a relay (regular radioshack or autoparts item) and wire the wireless relay to that.

The wireless fob is smaller than a matchbook. Costs less than $20. You can google it and find a bunch.

Let me kn ow if you need more info.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
Well, MexRay makes a good point...

MexRay, I thought the two switches should have been mutual controlling switches, too. I assumed it was one of those irritating little things..., but I double checked, none-the-less. No, they work independently of each other. And Mark, I must qualify as one of the most profoundly ignorant computer users...I log on, open the AS forum-search to see if the topic exists, create a new thread, and then wait for human answers, when all I had to do was an internet search.... Stupid is as stupid does.... So, thanks, and I will update when all set up.
bill
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Just a question - are you sure both of your switches are single-pole-singe-throw types? Our older 78 ambassador also has two switches, but they are double-pole-single-throw type that of course, allow switching on or off from either switch regardless of switch position, as it should be...like hallway lights at home...
Our '83 Excella is the same.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Have you removed each of the switches and checked the wiring to make sure they are not double pole single through. I have never seen a trailer with 2 switches that was not.

You may have a bad switch or a broken wire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
There are quite a few options to do what you want:

This one handles up to 6 amps:
OutletPC.com - Logisys RM01 Remote Control Relay - SALE PRICE: $13.96

This one up to 15A:
LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

The 6A model will handle what you want to do, is made by a reputable company, and costs under $15.

That's a fine idea... I hadn't gotten to the water pump yet on my endeavors. This is how I'm going to handle it now.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
This is the bulldog forum!

Ya know, I wasn't going to accuse AS of messing up, cuz it is a little thing, but I was amazed that "they" wouldn't put 2 way switches in that circuit-and yes, you guessed it-AS DID put 2 way switches in there-the one in the control panel has been replaced with a single pole/throw rocker and the 3rd wire taped off! You folks kept insisting and so I triple checked and pulled the switch out of the bath and it has 3 wires (right on WALLY!) Just a matter now of double checking switches/wires and off I go. Still doesn't address the idea of a switch near the galley, tho.
thanks, everyone!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
okay, that's it last post!

hmmm, lazy, lazy, lazy. all i had to do is to look at the service manual wiring diagram my disdain of privately available resource info is astounding! You all have taught me a valuable lesson-look, before you leap (onto the forum)!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
No problem, many or most of us have 'been there done that'...at least I know I have...

It's amazing how just about anything done or built on our AS trailers has been addressed somewhere in the Airforums...if you can hit the right search word...
Ray
Old 12-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We find using the switch near the galley handy. It's easier than going into the loo whenever you want to have water in the galley. Or use it if you forget to turn off pump after leaving the loo. FWIW, we turn off water when we leave. This way we don't come home to a flood if something starts to leak.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote