Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Walnut Creek , California
Winterizing valve

Winterizing valve below the wardrobe

Our owner’s manual says both the 27' & 25' front bedroom Classic models provide exterior water service via a hose bib located fore on the RS, DS, in an exterior under-belly water connection locker.*
This location is an unheated area can freeze. According to our owner's manual, an interior shut-off valve exists below the wardrobe closet floor.*

I have looked and tested the only valve accessible in that sub-closet location. The line appears to go forward toward the utility locker, or to the shower. However it has no effect on the output of the exterior hose bib fitting or the shower. This is possibly due to a meaningless tubing setup bypassing the valve. In the absence of additional valves, the by-pass around the valve of an assemblage of white tubing & fittings makes this valve useless.*Is the valve defective & non-functional? Or, am I reading the tubing incorrectly?

The lines are joined by "high tech" ferrules. I have no desire to purchase such a tool & supplies.

Any suggestions?
RockSolid66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have the same model and had/have a similar problem. The valve itself was never installed at the factory. Airstream dealer installed valve at our request and we though we were good to go. Unfortunately they installed it on the wrong line so I took it back to have it done again. Second time was supposed to be a charm but tested it again when hooked up to city water and water flowed as if nothing was there. Talked to the Tech and he said that the valve would work only if off city water. Wasn't happy with that solution but it seemed to work ok when we were in freezing temps.
So try the valve when off city water and see what happens. Didn't make much sense to me but I guess it one of those things you just have to accept.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Not sure if you're referring to the same thing, but on our trailer there are two shutoff valves under the pull-out pantry, one for the hot water line and one for the cold. These are normally in the closed position. When winterizing they are opened to allow the water lines to fully drain through the low-point drains under the freshwater tank. When pumping anti-freeze into the water lines, the valves can be left open momentarily until anti-freeze begins to drain through the low point drains. Then the shutoffs and low point drains should all be closed.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote