2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Winterizing AKA now what do I do?

Brought the trailer back from northern NH moose hunt…btw successful

Time to winterize

Emptied the hot water tank

Turned on bypass to hot water tank

Bought two bottles of pink stuff at local hardware store

Hooked up winterizer pump to city water intake and pump intake hose in first bottle of pink stuff

Turned on pump

Inside trailer, opened all valves one by one until pink stuff came out

Changed intake hose on pump to second bottle of pink stuff and finished with the toilet and shower.

Turned off pump and thought MY DIDN’T THAT GO EASY?

Poured what was left in the first bottle into the second bottle of pink stuff for next year and noticed

THE PINK STUFF WAS AUTO WINSHIELD WASHING FLUID WITH DANGEROUS ALCOHOL….. GO BLIND OR DIE IF INJESTED….OH CR*P!!!!

Now what do I do?

On the bright side, bottle says good till 30 below zero.’

THE PINK STUFF IS SUPPOSED TO BE BLUE

And, I now will read the bottles more closely in the future.

Mark

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you saying the anti freeze you got was in fact auto windshield fluid and colored pink not blue?

In any case you should put some in each of the traps it they have not already frozen. It won't do any harm there.

Next spring I would flush things very well and then flush them again.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Good question...thankfully you discovered this now instead of next Spring after your first swallow. If your plumbing is hard pipe you may be able to clean the system. I don't know about pex or other plastics.

If it we me I would not chance...I'd replace everything...It's not worth risking my family...

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Get the Material Safety Data Sheet from the manufacture read it and make your decision based on that. I am sure there is a solution to neutralize it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Practical advice

Ditto on reading the materials data safety sheet. PEX is pretty impermeable, but I'd make sure that it won't actually damage the plumbing if you have that type. If the safety sheet indicates it could hurt the plumbing, drain it and re-winterize now. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the plumbing. If it would damage the pipes it almost certainly would take time to do so.... so redoing it might just solve the whole thing.

I've noticed that some wiper stuff is now pink, so it wasn't that stupid for you to make the mistake - and I'll bet you won't be the only one to do so.

IF the safety sheet says it's going to be OK, in the spring you should consider draining, refilling, letting water run from all of your fixtures, then letting it sit for two to three days, then repeating. The standing water would pick up and dilute any tiny amounts coating the insides of the pipes.

BTW, I hope you removed the filters from the sink faucet in the kitchen (and possibly in the bathroom fixture too). If not they will need to be replaced in the spring - ain't cheap, and DO NOT SURVIVE even RV antifreeze.

Paula
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Exclamation You Be The Judge...

Disclaimer.... This is not meant to offend, and is not aimed at any respondants to this post...

Most of these products contain either Eythlene Oxide which is known carcinogen, or Methyl Alcohol which is poison and known to cause central nervous disorders. They range in color from mild pink to bright orange.

So let's say I call the mfg. hotline and explain my mistake. I seriously doubt they are going say "sure just add (BLANK) to your system, flush and you'll be as good as new. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Simply put...Would you be willing to drink from the empty antifreeze/washerfluid jug if it was flushed it out? Most MSDS's for these products specifically state not to reuse the jug/container it came in.

If the system is filled with this, or a simlilar type product you're at risk if you drink from it. There may not be any immediate affect, but how does one know the system is truely clean and safe?

I'm off my soapbox now.

Here's the MSDS for Rain-X which is a commonly used product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5061320 RX WWF All Season Bug MSDS.pdf (33.5 KB, 1054 views)

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I'd say that the sooner you can get that stuff out of your pipes the better. If you get a day in the mid to high 30's, hook her up to city water and flush, flush flush. You could probably do this in colder weather as long as you keep the water flowing, or hook it to a warm water faucet.

I agree with the comments about contacting the manufacturer od the window washing fluid. A call to the Poinson Control Center couldn't hurt either 1-800-222-1222.

Best of luck - I'll be sure to read the oink jugs in the future - I had no idea that washer fluid came in pink - I've seen yellow, orange green and blue - never pink.

BTW, I know of a good lookin' hockey mom who can help you with that moose!

2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote