Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Images: 7
Question Which tank is which?

I have a 1964 Overlander. I've looked at the diagram and I've look at some of the refurbish projects. They all show the potable water tank in the front.

I don't have a tank in the front, I do have an inlet on the outside of the trailer that is filled with some kind of rubbery substance. I'm guessing that used to go to the water tank.

Although I don't have a water tank in the front, I do have some kind of tank under one of the twin beds. I've read that Airstream didn't put greywater tanks in until the 70s, so.... what is it?

It's white and much bigger than the water tanks I've seen in pictures of the front tank. Looking down at it with the bed raised I don't see any inlets or outlets.

Also, there is no hose near where the fresh water tank should be. Where does the inlet that is rubbered over lead to?

Thanks in advance.

dejah
__________________

__________________
dejahardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Could it be that a previous owner removed your fresh water tank? The rubbery hole should lead to it. Get under the trailer, it would likely be visible, although I am not intimately familiar with your model and year.

And yes, since there is no grey tank in trailers before 1974, I think you found the black tank.

Bet you know what that's for...
__________________

__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which tank is which?

Greetings dejahardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
I have a 1964 Overlander. I've looked at the diagram and I've look at some of the refurbish projects. They all show the potable water tank in the front.

I don't have a tank in the front, I do have an inlet on the outside of the trailer that is filled with some kind of rubbery substance. I'm guessing that used to go to the water tank.

Although I don't have a water tank in the front, I do have some kind of tank under one of the twin beds. I've read that Airstream didn't put greywater tanks in until the 70s, so.... what is it?
In the 1964 Overlander twin, the potable water tank was usually under the streetside twin directly over the axles. The PAR water pump was usually located in the rear street-side corner just inside of the one-stop service center door. The potable water tank fill is on the streetside toward the front of the coach even with the ends of the tank -- it can be identified by a barrel bungee plug that must be removed to fill. You can see the fill opening in this photo -- it is the round object just above and slightly to the left of the front edge of the wheel well opening.



The tank does have a reputation of splitting at the seams, but a reproduction is available at a reasonable price -- my Airstream dealer was able to order a new one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
It's white and much bigger than the water tanks I've seen in pictures of the front tank. Looking down at it with the bed raised I don't see any inlets or outlets.
You are probably thinking of the pressure tank water systems that were used up through the very early 1960s (I am not certain, but the '64s may have been the first to have a factory pump powered demand system). You can get a better look at the tank and its plumbing by placing the mattress on the opposite bed and removing the mattress base so you can see the entire compartment. There should be one supply in the rear lower part of the tank that has a tube going to the PAR water pump - - ther is also a brasss 1/2 turn valve to drain the tank. In the front of the tank, you will likely find the fill hose that runs from the bungee cap on the exterior to the tank. A vent tube is likely on top of the tank and runs more or less along the center of the tank and then exits out the floor and belly pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
Also, there is no hose near where the fresh water tank should be. Where does the inlet that is rubbered over lead to?
The hole that you have found at the front of the coach is one that was left by one of two options. If the hole is on the streetside, it is likely the opening left when the 102" whip-type radio antenna was removed. If the hole is on the right and closer to the front center window, then it is likely a hole left when the television antenna was removed.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Images: 7
Yahoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
In the 1964 Overlander twin, the potable water tank was usually under the streetside twin directly over the axles.
Outstanding! My owner's manual has diagrams of two configurations, neither of which is the one I have.

Quote:
-- it can be identified by a barrel bungee plug that must be removed to fill. You can see the fill opening in this photo -- it is the round object just above and slightly to the left of the front edge of the wheel well opening.
Is that what that thing is. Do you need a special tool to open it?


Quote:
The hole that you have found at the front of the coach is one that was left by one of two options. If the hole is on the streetside, it is likely the opening left when the 102" whip-type radio antenna was removed. If the hole is on the right and closer to the front center window, then it is likely a hole left when the television antenna was removed.
It is the one on the street side. The one on the curb side is still there, but the rod that comes out of it is splayed open. It looks like there is a coax cable next to it.

Quote:
Good luck with your Overlander!
Thanks! And thanks for all the information. I think I need to start a notebook to keep all of this in.
__________________
dejahardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

And yes, since there is no grey tank in trailers before 1974, I think you found the black tank.

Bet you know what that's for...
I think the black tank is supposed to be under the toilet. If that's the case, I don't have one. The toilet is sitting on two rather sizable chunks of wood, but no tank.
__________________
dejahardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which tank is which?

Greetings dejahardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
I think the black tank is supposed to be under the toilet. If that's the case, I don't have one. The toilet is sitting on two rather sizable chunks of wood, but no tank.
Our 1964 Airstreams are among the models that were equipped with underfloor blackwater tanks. If your coach is missing its tank or the one in it needs to be replaced, you can still obtain a new replacement - - I purchased mine from Inland RV along with the collector plumbing parts to make the new installation a bit easier. The photo below, will give you some idea of how your Overlander's toilet installation:



As you can see, the waste discharge exits almost directly out of the tank, and unlike many coaches with the above floor tank, ours takes the standard height toilet.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which tank is which?

Greetings dejahardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
Outstanding! My owner's manual has diagrams of two configurations, neither of which is the one I have.

Is that what that thing is. Do you need a special tool to open it?
The barrell bungee plug doesn't require a special tool to open it, but if it has been a while since it was last opened, you may find that rust/corrosion has caused it to seize in the opening. A liberal coating of PB Blaster around the outer edges of the plug a day or so ahead of when you are going to try to remove the plug may make it easier to open. It is possible to use a pair of pliers to grip the center handle to give you a little extra leverage if it won't turn by hand. Once I had mine working freely, I have used Vasline Petroleum Jelly as a lubricant on the threads in the hopes of preventing the threads from corroding -- I usualy apply a very light coating following tank fills.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahardy13 View Post
It is the one on the street side. The one on the curb side is still there, but the rod that comes out of it is splayed open. It looks like there is a coax cable next to it.
On the curbside, the usual arrangement on the twin bed layout was a cabinet on the aft side of the entry door that contained the refrigerator, then a floor-to-ceiling pantry cabinet, then the twin bed, beyond that a full-length wardrobe, and finally, the shower/tub arrangement in the rear curbside corner. The counter-top above the refrigerator was designed to hold a television, and there was a television antenna lead as well as 12-volt power outlet mounted through the wall of the pantry just above that counter-top.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
1964 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 18
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post

Our 1964 Airstreams are among the models that were equipped with underfloor blackwater tanks.
That would explain why I can't see it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
The photo below, will give you some idea of how your Overlander's toilet installation:
Oh, my. Mine looks nothing like that. I don't think I have the right fixture.



BTW, you did a really nice job with yours. I'm silver with envy. :-)

dejah
__________________
dejahardy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Which tank is which?

Greetings Dejah!

I think that you are probably correct about the toilet. The orginial was a porcelain model made by SaniWare if I remember correctly. The original toilet in my coach was long gone when I purchased it. The replacement toilet in mine is a Thetford Galaxy that I recently had replaced with a new Thetford with similar dimensions.

Your one-stop service compartment really hasn't been changed that much from original. On the left, is your shore power/battery power switch along with the polarity light. If that polarity light illuminates, you know that there is a wiring problem either in the outlet to which the coach is connected or there is a problem with the plug. Behind that panel, you will probably find the original Univolt if it hasn't been replaced with something more modern. Beyond the Univolt, you should find the PAR water pump. The battery would have originally been installed in the area between the toilet and bathtub (I believe the heavy red wire is one of the battery cables). It also appears that the original copper plubmbing has been replaced with clear acrylic hoses - - this isn't necessarily a problem, but it may mean that you have lost either two or three of your low point plumbing drains, and you may also be missing the built-in regulator for the city water supply. The power cord appears to be original, but the plug isn't; you should have a standard 30 AMP RV plug on that cable (you can obtain a replacement plug at most any RV parts counter). You might want to be prepared for the need of lubrication in the area of the blackwater tank gate valve - - it appears that the valve is open based upon the position of the handle as it should be down at floor level when the valve is closed.

Good luck with your investigations. I will be happy to help you with any questions that you may encounter as you learn about your Overlander.

Kevin
__________________

__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
overlander, tank, water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
black tank and toilet flange; when is it necessary to replace the tank? Globie64 Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 7 09-07-2011 05:04 PM
Using a fresh water tank as a grey tank? Mike&Ali Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 14 09-16-2010 11:50 AM
Anybody know if a black tank will fit in the gray tank space on my TT? Aage Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 9 02-24-2010 05:13 PM
8-gal gasoline tank in LP tank profile for genset mswartz LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators 6 09-20-2008 07:23 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.