Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Where should I put the check valve

I looked into the fresh water tank and it was 1/2 full after being hooked up for the day to city water. I haven't filled the fresh water tank before so I was surprised. It a 66 Safari and has the original belt driven pump... So I am guessing I need to add a check valve somewhere. Am I right in thinking it needs to go down stream of the WP?
Would I be better served with a check valve or a shut off valve for when I'm using city and not fresh?
Thanks guys,
Barry in Mi.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Put the check valve just downstream of the water pump and you will be fine. I have one there in my Avion with no problems what so ever.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The situation is not normal I don't know if I have a check valve in my system but if your pump is belt driven good chance it is a PAR or Jbsco and water should not flow backwards through it into the FW tank.

The pump is very easy to rebuild and parts are carried by most boat dealers or on-line from places like Boaters World.

You will need the model # when ordering parts some Jabsco and Par rebuild kits are interchangeable.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
If your 1966 Safair's system is simular to my 1968 Tradewind, and I bet it is, the fresh water system was factory designed to allowed you to hook up to city water, open a valve, and fill up your fresh water tank. Perhaps this valve is partly open or has failed.

I discovered this while camping, hooked up to campground water, and found water overflowing from the fresh water tank. I traced the "city water" inline to the fresh water tank and found the malfunctioning valve. The design was also in the water system design documents for the trailer.

It was a $10.00 repair. with no water damage. to the floor. I hope this helps.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote