Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Gresham , Oregon
Where find Thetford potable water inlet (lockable)

I just noticed that my potable water inlet is totally cracked, letting all sorts of water get behind the fresh water tank. This is a 1978 Argosy 6-Metre Minuet. This explains the loads of silicone left by the previous owner. Well, now that I'm replacing all of the little plumbing parts around the water pump I've noticed this problem. I need to replace the whole thing.

Any ideas what part number this is? Where to find it?

I've emailed Thetford corporate about it and waiting for that reply. I've also asked a local Airstream dealer to look into it. Does anybody know where to find this part?

Then, I'm guessing I'll need to remove the rivets from the outside and install the new inlet with new rivets.

Boy, this repair sounds more and more fun as I describe it!

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
OregonArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Ask pattersontoo, forum member he totally did a minuet a couple of years ago.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Welcome to the Forum. Post a picture if you can - I needed one for a 71 and someone here found me an exact replica after we did.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #4

1976 31' Sovereign
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Sopout Water Fill

Hi,

I also need a water fill. When bringing my 1976 Soveriegn home the door opened and smashed it. the part number should be 600351 Spout, water fill. i got this number from the 1976 service manual. I would really like to know where to buy a new one. A lot of work to make one out of fiberglass.

Ken
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Gresham , Oregon
New idea

I've looking into just buying a brand new gravity water fill spout. I think I'll remove the Thetford one and just attach a new one to the aluminum face through the same opening.

I'm thinking 4 sheet-metal screws and a bunch of Vulkem. Any other ideas?

Thetford isn't making the same water fill item anymore.

Drat, now our little Argy is starting to grow on me. I guess you were...were...were...right, honey.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

1979 31' Excella 500
Lexington , Texas
How do you remove the Thetford?? I found one bolt in the front by the pedal.. How do I get to the others? Tom
twill182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Gresham , Oregon
Item fixed update

I just finished installing and painting my new water inlet door. If I was more patient like some of you I would have either fiberglassed the original one back to glory or searched around for one being parted of a clunker somewhere. No, I like the quickest fix. Oh well. The firt picture below gives context, the second is the new one (JR brand PVC), and the third is the hookup to the fresh water tank on the inside. Luckily all that grossness will be hidden behind el gaucho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130002.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	58118   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130003.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	58119  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130004.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	58120  

Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Gresham , Oregon
I removed mine by simply drillig out the 10 or so rivets from the outside and the entire housing comes off through the inside. I did have to remove some rivet from the interior skin to be able to remove the old one. I installed the new one with 4 nuts and lock washers. I also had to cut out some skin at the top to be able to get to the top nut during the install.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
EGNAR , Colorado
replace fresh water intake but keep my metal locking door? 76 SOVEREIGN

The plastic inside the fresh water hatch has cracked and hoses are just hanging. Is there a plastic replacement part that connects to the inlet hose and air valve that i can attach the original metal locking door to? i want to keep my door, it will look better than the plastic white doors. i would glue it but i'm missing some of the plastic.
IS THERE A PART I COULD MODIFY?
TIA
SBOESCH is offline   Reply With Quote