Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Where can I find a Minuet water filler hatch?

I have searched the forums but can't seem to find any info on the
Fresh Water Filler Hatch/Door assembly. It's square and opens like a parts bin, hinged at the bottom. I have a 77 Minuet and the plastic on the inside of the filler is cracked and I would like to replace it.
Does anyone have words of wisdom on this problem.
I would be willing to replace the old one in total if I could find a source for a new one.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water filler Hatch

Greetings Gray!

Quote:
I have searched the forums but can't seem to find any info on the
Fresh Water Filler Hatch/Door assembly. It's square and opens like a parts bin, hinged at the bottom. I have a 77 Minuet and the plastic on the inside of the filler is cracked and I would like to replace it.
Does anyone have words of wisdom on this problem.
I would be willing to replace the old one in total if I could find a source for a new one.
I ran into this same situation on my '78 Minuet last fall. If my memory serves correct, the fill was manufactured by either Bargman or Thetford. When Ace Fogdall RV tried to source another, it turned out that the part is no longer available. The solution was to go with a modern plastic filler door in colonial white that actually doesn't look too bad on the Minuet (the colonial white is a near match for the Argosy beige). The new filler door actually seems to lock more securely than the original.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
The solution was to go with a modern plastic filler door in colonial white that actually doesn't look too bad on the Minuet (the colonial white is a near match for the Argosy beige). The new filler door actually seems to lock more securely than the original.
Kevin

Do you have a part number or know who the manufacturer of your new door is. A source wouldn't hurt either, I'm greedy when it comes to info.
This would help me immensely.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Water filler Hatch

Greetings Gary!

Quote:
Do you have a part number or know who the manufacturer of your new door is. A source wouldn't hurt either, I'm greedy when it comes to info.
I will check when I get home this evening. Should have all of the information as I know precisely where the receipt is loacted waiting to be packed for the move. I may even get home soon enough that I can post a photo of the installation.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 04-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Gary,

Another option is to call Colaws. They will pull it for you if they have one. I had to replace the exterior outlet door/surround on my last MH and they had no problem getting me one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Water Fill Hatch

Greetings Gary!

I was able to find all of the information regarding the replacement water fill hatch that Ace Fogdall RV installed on my Minuet. In fact, they have the exact fill hatch on their web site at the following link:

Ace Fogdall RV - - On-Line Parts Catalog - - Water Fill Hatch

The photo below is of the front of the coach. The only down-side that I have noted is that it is a bit more obvious than the original, but I like the fact that it seals and locks more securely than the original unit (mine had the habit of popping open when underway and forcing most if not all of the water out of the tank).

A close-up with the door open and the cap on the fill-inlet:

A close-up with the door open and the cap off of the fill-inlet:

A close-up with the door closed:

So far, this has proven to be a very useful modification that I actually like better than the original from a functionality standpoint.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 04-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Very cool - thanks for the prompt reply. I also e-mailed colaws.... It's so nice to have 2 options for replacement when usually there are none!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Gary!

I was able to find all of the information regarding the replacement water fill hatch that Ace Fogdall RV installed on my Minuet. In fact, they have the exact fill hatch on their web site at the following link:

Ace Fogdall RV - - On-Line Parts Catalog - - Water Fill Hatch

Thanks for the info Kevin

As it turns out it was all for naught.
I finally got my new hatch in hand and Janet did not like the way it looked, The one I ordered locally a "Bargman" was just a little too small, I just gave up on the whole replacement idea.

Sooo.... I pulled the original Assembly and cleaned it up because there was a ton of sticky goop all over it, looked like plumbers putty.
Once cleaned and washed in alcohol, I Epoxied all of the cracks and clamped it until dry.
It seems that the plastic used in the making of this part was getting brittle with age. Being that I was not sure if it would last any substantial time I decided to enclose the whole part in a fiberglass mat and polyester resin.
I pre-cut the glass mat and did a hand lay up. It is now really strong and will last another 30 years.
One point of interest is the vinyl tube used between the door and the tank is 1 3/8" ID and is very hard to find. With the fiberglass treatment on the filler I was able to use a 1 1/2" vinyl tube, worked great due to the larger size of the neck. Had no problem with the tank sealing I just cranked down on the hose clamp.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

A couple more options:

The new filler door I found has to be from the same manufacturer as Kevin's, but the long dimension is vertical, the door hinges on the bottom, and the vent opening is above the filler. This configuration worked out perfectly on my '74 Argosy MH. Mine came with a double barb on the filler neck to accommodate two different sizes of tubing. You may have to shop a number of RV supply houses to find the model that works best for you.

For tubing to connect filler to tank, try your local car parts store's selection of radiator hoses. They usually have illustrated catalogs that list the hoses by end diameters and show their configurations.

I wound up needing 1-1/4" on the filler assembly and 1-1/2" on the tank end with a slight bend. I found a radiator hose that had the right diameters and roughly the right bend and it works great. I'm figuring that since radiator hose is meant to last for years with pressurized, 200-degree water in it, it should last just about forever in this application. The water's not really in contact with it long enough to impart any off-taste, either.

If you can't find a tube that fits snugly at both ends, be very careful about getting a secure seal. I replaced a major chunk of floor and support frame in my MH because of an ill-fitting and poorly-sealed factory filler installation!

Bob McKeown
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
If you can't find a tube that fits snugly at both ends, be very careful about getting a secure seal. I replaced a major chunk of floor and support frame in my MH because of an ill-fitting and poorly-sealed factory filler installation!
Bob McKeown

I'll second that. The new vinyl tubbing is very pliable and will seal the 1/8" difference between the 1 3/8" vs. 1 1/2" new tube.
"Pay attention now and you won't have to pay later."