Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
What's that sound???

Attempted to pressurize the water-system on our TT.....
I was right there at the sink to get things started. The pump didn't seem to be drawing up water. Expected after sitting for 13 years. After a few minutes I figured out that I was only sucking air from the inlet filter. It was cracked (should that be a warning?).

Well - duct tape sealed that (mostly) and I tried again but then water kept coming out of the City Water connection.... After visually verifying that there was no check valve I decided to forgo trying to pump it up with the water pump. I would hook up the city water and do initial testing, etc...
So I hook up city water (which for us is really well water) and cracked the valve open to start things slowly.

The water coming out of the water heater was the first sign that something was not normal. But a quick investigation revealed that the drain plug had been removed (perhaps for winter storage) and all was O.K. I replaced the plug and once again cracked the valve open. I opened the relief valve on the water heater to purge air pressure and once water started coming out I closed it.

So far so good. I could hear water gurgling through the pipes and thought that it was an odd sound. I had never heard that before working on any plumbing that I had to work on.

When the water gurgle sound turned to the sound of water dripping and then flat out running behind the shower I just KNEW something was wrong. The only visual I had was the water running out of the gap between the tub itself and the shower wall right at the point where the mixer valve is (DUH).

So I got the water off and started back to the bathroom to get a closer look at the valve. I tried to operate the valve and was able to completely pull it apart with one tug... Is that supposed to happen???

Obviously I have to pull the shower apart to replace the valve. What is not obvious to me is how to do that exactly without pulling the whole bathroom apart completely. I did do some searching but didn't see anything that I could relate to.

This experience had led us to change our signature on the forums to- "...but the air conditioner works".
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cup

the problem with the city water inlet can be solved by just purchasing a cap for the inlet. this will prevent the water from escaping when the pump is in use. not a bad idea to have it in place when not connected to a hose, it will keep road dirt and insects from getting in.

the filter is best handled by just replacing it, they are cheap and most any rv place will have one.

the shower on the other hand may be a large project!

good luck!

john
Old 05-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
Hi!

I've had the exact same freeze damage on my '74 Overlander. The insert (cartridge) will pop out and is replaceable in the Moen faucets. There are several designs that look close to the same, but are subtly different (Use Moen part #1200 or 1225 -- this should be the correct one for all of your fixtures -- take old part to store to verify). I replaced all three in my coach, and they were all the same. They come with good directions, and they're kept in place with a little keeper ring. I found mine at the local hardware store.

As for the broken pipe behind your shower... You have to remove the plastic trim insert on the trim piece (above the tub that goes all around the bathroom). Then drill out the rivets that hold the aluminum trim piece in place. You will find that the trim divides the shower into 2 pieces, top and bottom. Drill out more rivets that hold the top piece in place, and remove. Your pipes are accessible below that. It takes some time and perserverance, but is not too terribly difficult. I cut a section out of the split copper pipe, and replaced it with rubber heater hose (clamped in place). Hopefully this will be of help! Good luck!!

Curt
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Funny somebody called "SOMEFUN" should reply to a post like this and say how simple it is!!! I wonder if the name implies something that we should know but haven't yet learned - since you have an overlander as well. Actually I have been looking at a littke and I have come to the conclusion that you suggested so I feel confident that I will be going that direction.

I will opt for ripping the shower apart because - frankly, we wanted to replace that fixturee anyway. I will have to document and post as we progress. But, hey, the airconditioner works!

Thanks so much for the
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 05-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
I chose the name to cheer myself up! You know... you are what you think etc. lol! Actually when I did that repair in the spring of '98, the project also included fixing 2 more split pipes, and replacing the water heater (which is what made fixing the shower look so simple!!).
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
But, hey, the airconditioner works!
Give it time...
Old 05-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Ah... A little laughter befored the tears! Thanks. I feel better for now.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Ah... A little laughter befored the tears! Thanks. I feel better for now.
The voice of experience, guys. Sorry. I now have a new A/C unit on mine. And an axle. And vent fan. And water pump, etc...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Cup,

Here's a couple of pics of my '73 Overlander's bath patially disassembled. Maybe this will help a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Tub.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	12116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Tub 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	12117  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
That Helps!

J & S

This helps a lot. My big question is how did you do it??? That is actually a rhetorical question because the tech manual outlines a procedure for doing it. I just don’t understand it and that is because I have not stood in front of the shower with the directions and thought it through step by step.

One thing I can say for sure is that I will document EVERY step so that anybody else can perhaps do the same thing.

I see that your tub is a little different than ours. The mixing valve is on the side of yours while ours is mounted facing up. No big deal – it all works the same.

But I am encouraged that it can be done. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long!!!

T&K