Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy What Water Hoses to Bring?

Many lists recommend 2 water hoses, one 25' and one 50'. Hoses consume alot of storage space. Are 2 hoses really necessary, and why?
rmmm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think it depends on where you are going & the facilites that will be available.

If you are going to a developed campground with full hook-ups, it may not be necessary to carry both. However, if you are going to a Rally that may not have full-hookups for every trailer, the extra length of hose should at least allow you to hook into water up to 75 feet away.

We have attended several rallys where we have needed to do this...also with electrical.

Shari

Below is a photo of a rally where we needed those extra hoses...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldgroup.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1250  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Don't forget to take your unrestricted Y connector. You may need it to interconnect many units to one faucet. This is standard at International and some of the bigger region rallies. This is also why you need the two hoses. The hose you tap into with your Y connector may be far from your water inlet.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Brett...I forgot!

Shari
Old 01-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
No Problem Shari!

I also forgot to mention that you should mark your stuff with your WBCCI number because as the say at the airport "all bags look alike" so do all hoses.

You may also need to lend a hose where the 2 hoses that were brought by others is still not long enough somewhere else.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 01-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I also forgot to mention that you should mark your stuff with your WBCCI number...
Good idea Brett!

We haven't had a problem, but we haven't had as much experience as you....yet!

Shari
Old 01-14-2003, 01:01 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
One year in Rapid City we had to pull out of International due to the heat. Were were in the middle of a row, so taking our hose would have left everyone downline form us without water.

We were just moving across the street to a comerccial campground, so when the rally was breaking down we just went back and picked up our hose. We knew it was ours because it was marked.

I reccomend marking all of the items, clothing, and such that you frequently carry. That way at a rally you have a real good chance of getting it back if you lose it or leave it behind.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 01-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What Water Hoses to Bring?

I don't know whether it is Murphy's Law or coincidence, but I have found that the 75' of water hose recommendation is a bare minimum. One way or another, I always seem to be the first trailer that must connect to the water valve and need at least 100' just to get that far. Over the past five years, I have added a 50' section of hose to my parts bin (carried in Rubbermaid containers in the rear of my Suburban) each year, and now find myself with 250' of hose - - and last year 200' of that hose was used filling gaps between my coach and neighbors on either side.

I would also suggest carrying a spare no-restriction "Y" connector as well as a good supply of hose washers as they can be at a premium when at campgrounds or rally sites. Hose washers and "Y" connectors don't ever fail at a convenient time - - somehow, mine seem to like Sunday mornings at about 4:30 a.m.

Something that some would recommend against, but I find quite useful on my coach is a fitting that allows me to turn off the water supply to my trailer without impacting the water being sent out the "Y" to my neighbors. This device provides two benefits - - you can leave the trailer without concern about a pipe springing a leak in your absence, and you can make quick repairs to your coach (such as changing water filters) without interrupting service to the neighborhood. Depending upon how you route your "Y" and associated hoses, it is even possible to permit totally disconnecting your coach without interrupting others sharing the connection - - for example if you want to tow your coach to a car wash to prep it for the Vintage Concourse.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote