Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What Is This Valve Used For?

I was checking the water pumps underneath the hall wardrobe near the water pump in my 2008 Classic 25fb. I removed the wardrobe floor to expose the pipes.

I noticed on the pipes that route to/from the city water connection a valve I haven't noticed before. Looking at the first photo you can see the valve is closed yet if you look closely there is a bypass around the valve. The left side the pipe runs to the city water connection. Then there is a T and the pipe is routed under the shower drain the the other side of the valve. Notice on the bypass there is a brass connector peeking out from underneath the black drain pipe.

With the system under water pressure from the pump I opened the valve shown in the 2nd photo. The pump burped for a split second as it pressurized the section around the valve and held steady.

What is the reason for this valve and bypass plumbing?

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	288074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	288075  

Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My 2002 Classic 30 has a similar valve. Consulting the plumbing diagram (which doesn't show the "bypass") it appears to be a shutoff valve for the outside faucet. I had the same question when I found mine. The "bypass" is a pressure relief valve, if I recall correctly. I guessed that with the shutoff valve closed, the outside faucet would only function if the pressure in the water line was high, i.e. city water. It seemed to be a means of controlling the use of the outside faucet to work only on city water, and not on tank water as the pump pressure is only about 35 psi. With the shutoff valve open, the outside valve works regardless. At least that's what I surmised.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
That brass fitting looks like a backflow preventer.
The valve..... I'm guessing ....... something related to winterizing or isolating that portion of the plumbing beyond during cold weather. (outside faucet or shower?)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
In my city water hookup compartment is a brass water spigot. The brass connector being a back flow valve makes sense. with the valve closed the outside water spigot would only work if on city water as water pump pressure would be stopped at that one way.

When out to the trailer. With the valve closed an water pump on no flow from the outside water spigot. With the valve open the water pump provides water to the outside spigot.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 06-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Just checked my picture file. Mine looks exactly like yours, just in a different place, under the water heater under the bathroom sink. The valve is a pressure relief valve. A check valve would open either way. A pressure relief valve at 45 psi would open for city water but not for pump water.

Al
Old 06-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
In my city water hookup compartment is a brass water spigot. The brass connector being a back flow valve makes sense. with the valve closed the outside water spigot would only work if on city water as water pump pressure would be stopped at that one way.

When out to the trailer. With the valve closed an water pump on no flow from the outside water spigot. With the valve open the water pump provides water to the outside spigot.

Thanks

Kelvin
My Excella has that outside spigot too.
I think you will find some instruction to that effect in the plumbing section of your manual under "exterior water", or some similar wording. Several valves can be involved in draining outside showers and faucets that are not inside heated areas.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
. . .
What is the reason for this valve and bypass plumbing?

Kelvin
Have you checked your owner's manual? I believe this is the correct one:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...lassic2008.pdf

On p. F-6 [PDF p. 67/98] on the right, it says:

"EXTERIOR WATER SERVICE
Also in the underbelly utility compartment is a hose connection for the exterior water service. This is plumbed into the high-pressure water system of the trailer. This is an ideal place to rinse the sand off your feet after going to the beach, cleaning mud off your boots, and hundreds of other messy jobs that are better done outside. On all units except the 27’ and 25’ Front bed Model an exterior water service shut off valve is located nside the lavatory cabinet and can be accessed by either opening the cabinet doors or removing the cabinet drawers. The front bed models shut off valve is accessed by removing a door on the wardrobe bottom shelf. The exterior water service is located beyond the heated area of the trailer and can be damaged if the water is not turned off in freezing temperatures. In freezing temperatures close the shut off the valve and open the exterior water service valve to drain the valve and line."

There is an additional note in the manual, below this text. Not sure what model AS you have, but does this passage cover the photos in the OP?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Just checked my picture file. Mine looks exactly like yours, just in a different place, under the water heater under the bathroom sink. The valve is a pressure relief valve. A check valve would open either way. A pressure relief valve at 45 psi would open for city water but not for pump water.

Al
Mine is under the bathroom sink near the water heater, too.
Never knew what it was until this thread...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hmm, if the spigot outside is used to wash off mud, sand etc why did they install the outdoor shower which I never use. Hmm, maybe the same reason they installed a phone line system

Thanks for everyone's help

Kelvin
Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Also, since apparently the factory added the pressure relief valve in parallel with the shutoff valve, turning the shutoff valve off does nothing when connected to city water. To winterize that outside water spigot you must turn off city water. As I understand it, those who camp in sub-freezing weather use water from the tanks since the furnace is alleged to warm the belly area.

Al
Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Also, since apparently the factory added the pressure relief valve in parallel with the shutoff valve, turning the shutoff valve off does nothing when connected to city water. To winterize that outside water spigot you must turn off city water. As I understand it, those who camp in sub-freezing weather use water from the tanks since the furnace is alleged to warm the belly area.

Al
Re: the brass thing in the first photo in post #1;
Is it plumbed in a loop? If it is, there is no where for the excess pressure to bleed off in a loop. That would be the sole purpose if it is a pressure relief valve.

I'm pretty sure it's a check valve. A check valve only allows flow in one direction, not both ways.

Since the connections to that brass fitting are the type that are removable by hand, you could check it out pretty easily.